Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

doberman eats my house

Options
  • 05-04-2009 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

hi all ,got my dobie 5 months ago,and from day one my house is turning into shreds,my table,chairs,worktop,carpet,cables,toys,shoes,ciggys,even the floor and walls,he eats everything,(dont know where my yorkie dog is gone)anyway,does anyone know how to stop this,i do the usual giving out and thats bold speech but as soon as i turn my back he s eating something else,he cant be bored i got him loads of toys,my kids play with him,we bring him for long walks,etc...he s only 7 months do they keep this up for long,is it because he s still a pup,?thanks:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭biggybum

Boredom !! Attention seeking etc As puppies grow its natural for them to try to eat everything around them. My Staffy is 2 yrs old now and has only just stopped,every time i went out and left him alone for more than half an hour he'd have his chops wrapped around summit. like yours he went through chairs kitchen tables, corner unit in the kitchen etc. He should be corrected everytime he attempts this and told no. I found a light punishment like putting him outside for 5 mins worked wonders for me tbh. I gave him one indestructable toy that kept him relatively satisfied !!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

He is teething, and boredom could be an issue to. have you tried using kong toys? you can fill them with food and dogs usually spend ages trying to get out the food. plenty of walks will keep his energy levels down. you can buy anti chew sprays in pet shops try spraying these on your table, chairs etc and if that doesnt work try clove oil, dogs seem to hate it

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

Hi rapture... sounds like you've alot on your plate! Unfortunately some dogs are more energetic than others and the fact that your dog is still a puppy it worse for you. Kong toys are a good suggestion... another cheaper option is to get yourself some facecloths soak them in soup or watered down gravey anything liquid or even just plain old fashioned water and freeze the face cloth... this provides you with a nice tasty COLD chewy for your teething puppy and hopefully will distract him/her from chewing other things like your furniture! Another toy i found brilliant was a treat ball, you fill it up with treats and the dog has to figure out that he has to roll the ball to get the treats to come out! Is the pup left alone in the house for a period of time? Sounds like you pup is bored even tho you seem to provide lots of activities for him/her. Have you tried any training with him/her? Mental stimulation can be just as tiring as physical stimulation for a dog, so having a got at getting the dog to sit, stay, lie down, give the paw would benefit both of you! Other options are to attend puppy socialsaton classes, puppy obedience, arrange a play date with a friend who has a dog basically anything you can think of to do with your dog do it! I would suggest agility but some ppl might think 7 months is too young yet. My eldest dog pepper, who is 4 now, was a destructive pup, madest thing i've seen in all the years i've been around dogs and has only in the last year or so settled down, she ate the lino off our floor, ate clothes, dug holes sorry crators LOL, ran at 1000mph in the opposite direction, so as i said above some dogs are more energetic and active than others and therefore need extra time, patience and watching!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

did ya find the yorkie yet lol

• Registered Users Posts: 43 rapture 3

hi guys forgot to mention,he is teething,well i think he is,2 off his back teeth fell out the other day when i was playing tug with him,I NEARLY HAD A HEART ATTACK,didnt know that happened with dogs,felt a bit stupid when i rang the vet,ill defo try the kong toy,and the frozen cloth,and the spray,ill try everything,thanks very much for the suggestions everyone,ill let ya know how i get on,............oh yeah found the yorkie ,well some of her.:eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement