Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barack Obama gives thumbs up for Turkey accession into the EU

Options
  • 05-04-2009 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Barack Obama has made a plea for Turkey's admission to the European Union. Speaking at a summit of European leaders in the capital of the Czech Republic, Prague, Mr Obama said Americans and Europeans must approach Muslims as friends and allies in the struggle against violence and injustice. He said Europe could make such an idea reality by giving Turkey the chance to become a member of the EU.

In response to Mr Obama's statement, French President Nicolas Sarkozy said that the issue of membership is one for Europe to decide. He went on to say that while Turkey was an important ally, it was unsuited for EU membership

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7984762.stm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Barack Obama has made a plea for Turkey's admission to the European Union. Speaking at a summit of European leaders in the capital of the Czech Republic, Prague, Mr Obama said Americans and Europeans must approach Muslims as friends and allies in the struggle against violence and injustice. He said Europe could make such an idea reality by giving Turkey the chance to become a member of the EU.

In response to Mr Obama's statement, French President Nicolas Sarkozy said that the issue of membership is one for Europe to decide. He went on to say that while Turkey was an important ally, it was unsuited for EU membership

Following the standard US line, really. Bush also supported it.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

It's a very difficult decision to make. At one point Turkey was known as Asia Minor (well most of it). It's stance on Cypus has to be adressed again. Also Russia is looking to join the EU. If Alaska had not been sold to the US then conceivably they would have potentially have become EU citizens too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Synopsising the BBC article isn't providing your own views. Rules require, etc etc, you've been around long enough to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Following the standard US line, really. Bush also supported it.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

And the French President, Chirac that time, told him to get lost too

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

DenMan wrote: »
    It's a very difficult decision to make. At one point Turkey was known as Asia Minor (well most of it). It's stance on Cypus has to be adressed again. Also Russia is looking to join the EU. If Alaska had not been sold to the US then conceivably they would have potentially have become EU citizens too.

So? Who cares whether it's part of what we currently call Europe [the meaning of which btw has changed so much over the course of humanity that clinging to it is a bit of a joke].

The only question is whether or not it would be better for the member states?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

Is it really? Todays protests against President Obama's visit seemed to go against that. The majority of Turks are not very much in favour of European membership, their trading links with Asia and Africa are more important right now.

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion...pe-884260.html

Well both France and Germany are very much against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's long been an American strategic position to support Turkey and their desire for EU accession, mostly down to the need to maintain bases in Turkey. Obama was doing no more than that. It's easy to tell cheering crowds that Turkey belong in Europe when you have no way of making it happen. He has done Ok on his European tour, certainly on the economic side of things but has probably learnt that his rockstar status will only take him so far. The decidedly lukewarm NATO response to greater Afghan troop commitments and the polite no from Europe on Turkey suggests he has a bit to learn yet on the foreign affairs front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I don't think he is an impartial voice nor is he an EU citizen so he can be ignored on this issue.

I don't agree with Turkey joining the EU at this time and I don't think most of the EU countries do either so it probably won't happen for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

The majority of Turks are not very much in favour of European membership...
    I'd be very surprised if that were the case, particularly given the massive strides Turkey has made to fulfil the necessary membership criteria.
    That article is fairly heavy on hyperbole and pretty light on facts.
    thebman wrote: »
    I don't agree with Turkey joining the EU at this time and I don't think most of the EU countries do either so it probably won't happen for a while.
    Probably not, no. They don't meet the necessary criteria and they probably won't for some time, but when that time comes, they should be admitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

particularly given the massive strides Turkey has made to fulfil the necessary membership criteria.
    Quote:

How far along the membership criteria are they? Last I heard they were still considerable short in a few key areas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭dizzywizlw

Isn't the Turkish Army very secular and willing to go all coupy if extremists took hold? ,I think i read that somewhere...
    Either way I think they're lagging on the Stability of Democratic institutions and Human rights bits.

Are they a functioning market economy?

Also, up yours Obama, this doesn't concern you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Lirange

djpbarry wrote: »
    They don't meet the necessary criteria and they probably won't for some time, but when that time comes, they should be admitted.
    I doubt it will ever happen. I just cannot see France or Germany ceding that much power in welcoming a large new member.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

Talk is cheap espeically for someone one the outside like Obama. I'd agree with the posters above who think he's just proping up America's strategic assets in turkey.

Personally I dont think Turkey should, or will join the EU at least not any time soon. Given its size (71 million) and religious position it would completely change the workings of the Union and I don't think that the majority of member states are willing to accept that.

Not to mention the cyprus issue and human rights abuses in prisons.

Advertisement