Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU for 295 GTX

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Preliminary response: Dabs + Value + PSU = ULTIMATE FAIL:eek:

Had a look. Atrix. Not good. Its the kind of thing you buy to keep your old Pentium 4 workstation ticking after the last PSU went. Not what you put in a hardcore gaming rig. Its impossible to tell what's inside the PSU without voiding the warrranty (hah! Catch 22!) but many cheaper PSUs are actually mostly-identical Deer/Solytech 250W models regardless of what's on the box. In theory it'd work if (and its a big "if" given manufacturer and price) the 6- and 8-pin PCIe were on different rails. In practice it could be from the older ATX multirail spec where all the PCIe and the mobo are on the same rail, or it could still be a Deer that literally blows up after it gets a ~300W load and surges dead every piece of connected hardware. This kinda BS is why sane people buy branded PSUs only, at least for PCs that are gonna need a ton of juice when fully loaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

Solitaire wrote: »

Had a look. Atrix. Not good. Its the kind of thing you buy to keep your old Pentium 4 workstation ticking after the last PSU went. Not what you put in a hardcore gaming rig. Its impossible to tell what's inside the PSU without voiding the warrranty (hah! Catch 22!) but many cheaper PSUs are actually mostly-identical Deer/Solytech 250W models regardless of what's on the box. In theory it'd work if (and its a big "if" given manufacturer and price) the 6- and 8-pin PCIe were on different rails. In practice it could still be a Deer that literally blows up after it gets a ~300W load and surges dead every piece of connected hardware. This kinda BS is why sane people buy branded PSUs only, at least for PCs that are gonna need a ton of juice when fully loaded.

So what PSU would you recommend?

What's in your rig other than the GTX? (also looking to see if XBit have the real power consumption nailed down on it yet)

P5Q Mainboard
    Q9450 Quad core processor
    295 GTX
    8 Gig Ram
    Vista 64

In truth most real PSUs 550W and up are fine, I just don't trust Atrix even half as far as I can throw them, and Atrix would be the best you'd get (its Dabs Value, not Atrix specifically, you could get anything if the Atrix are out of stock! :eek: ) GTX295 isn't so bad power-wise actually, absolute minimum of 15A (preferably 16-18A) across the PCIe should hold it.

Also noticed that Dabs Value PSU isn't in stock. Even if it says "3-5 days" on the website it could easily mean "3-5 MONTHS" or "NEVER" :P Me and a few others have gotten caught out before by Dabs' never-appearing stock...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Why buy a top of the range GPU and a shítty PSU. Never skimp on a PSU, You're paying big money for a gpu, You need a good gpu for it. Its the most important part of any pc.

This one or this one as they are reputable brands. 600W should just cover Your needs, although they recommend 680W for a GTX295 but thats a little OTT. I have the OCZ, its rather noisy so I upgraded to Corsair and downgraded the PSU to another pc. They have Corsairs in stock and they're a little bit more expensive.

Edit: Just seen You got 8GB ram and a quad, WTF? why skimp on a psu?

Exactly Pog! But I checked and Dabs' PSU stock levels are a joke. Even worse than usual ATM. Can't see anything better than a Corsiar TX650, and its a whopping €114! :eek: Don't suppose you fancy shopping elsewhere for the PSU Ardscoil Ris? ;)

I don't mind up to 120e for a PSU. Keep throwing recommendations though. I need to explore all options :)

I want one that's around 700w.

What about this guys? http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/7523884/OCZ-OCZ700GXSSLI-GameXStream-700W-SLI-Ready-ATX-Power-Supply-Unit-PSU-With-Active-PFC/Product.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭ColonelCarnage

Couldnt agree more with the Pog, clearly you have monye to throw into this rig so do yourself a favour and get a decent PSU.

I have the OCZ stealthxstreme as posted above and is an excellent psu.

I would also say to check out the 700 watt version (my one) with a cool blue led fan for 109 from Komplett but maybe check elsewhere and you might find it cheaper.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=324467

Remember, the GTX295 has both 6pin & 8pin connectors, better to get one with both for futureproofing. A little over budget, but this Corsair one has 4x 8pin connectors, I got this very PSU, can highly recommend, is perfectly silent. Its only flaw is that its not modular (I can live with that as I've loads of space for cables in my case)

Edit; as I've said before, nothing "Stealth" bout the OCZ PSU's, noisy as fcuk from my experience, barely a whisper from the Corsair

• Advertisement

I dont really notice the noise from the PSu too much but then again i am running an antec 900 - anything but graceful!

Pog, that TX750 is just €109 over on Komplett. And the TX650 (and some other decent PSUs) are just €90. Dabs fail. :P

Not so pushed on FSP-based units, such as Fortron or that OCZ. They tend to be cheaper than the Antecs, Corsairs and Seasonics of the world, but its for a reason :(

A definite thumbs up for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

I would rather spend the little bit cash on a decent psu

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-104-AN&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=1088

These are great little power supplys rock solid, second choice would be a coolermaster real power, I have a 1000W Realpower excellent Psu over kill in your case.

Stick with either a 550W/or a 650W
    Corsair, Seasonic, Coolermaster

As for that OCZ PSU man they are noisy I had the gamer edition and the fans are flatout non stop.

Thanks Guys

This is the PSU I have now. Just being certain, but is this PSU out of the question: http://www.jeantech.com/600.htm I don't want to bottleneck my system.

Also, does Amazon take Laser Maestro?

Sorry, the OCZ just isn't worth even that much. It m ay put out 700W but its noisy, terrible 12V arrangement, ripple and stability and not as efficient as modern PSUs. The design is pretty archiac by today's standards.

+1 on the Sig. It may be expensive but its solid as a rock and gorgeous to boot.

EDIT: That Jeantech ain't gonna cut the mustard. F-all 12V and claiming 150mV ripple on said rail is a very bad sign :( Can't remember if SuperFlower or Sirtec is the OEM for Jeantech's PSUs but neither is A-grade - hell, they barely manage a C-minus :P

Final time of asking, but what about this PSU? Seems great value.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-026-AK

Argh, not much info on Akasa's PSUs, much less the OEM. Older ones were Enermax, not sure about the PowerMax units though. I'd say its probably either Enermax or Seasonic (which one did that odd heavy-dual-rail config before?) which gives it an easy A-minus. Reviews I could find are very happy with it, and it seems excellent value for money even if 850W borders on overkill (at least its futureproof!) Given the price I'm not worried about potential overkill as it has excellent efficiency - the combination of dual rails, very old-skool internals and sick efficiency under ~90% load does suggest a tried-and-trusted Enermax :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Solitaire wrote: »

I learned that the hard way :pac:
    Dont get one unless its some mid range components you're looking to power

I'd be inclined to get something higher than 650watts for that setup based on this
    1e.jpg

I reckon a corsair 800 is perfect

Would You not go for the 750W as it has all the connectors You need? 650W is just enough for this pc, remember the psu is the one component that can last 2-3 builds if You choose wisely, ie You could buy an upgrade kit (cpu, ram, mobo upgrade kit) for the pc next yr and use the same psu. Its not like buying a gpu, cpu or ram which usually outdate quicker. Buy once and buy right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I learned that the hard way :pac:
    Dont get one unless its some mid range components you're looking to power

I'd be inclined to get something higher than 650watts for that setup based on this
    1e.jpg

I reckon a corsair 800 is perfect

That's entire system consumption, not the card alone, so its hitting 450 absolute tops there. a 500/550w Corsair, PC Power and Cooling or OCZ PSU would do the job, I only mention those 3 as they're the most readily available and common. the 650TX you picked is a solid choice.

As for the Jeantech that would have probably worked to a certain extent. I had that same PSU and I liked it a lot. I had it powering dual 8800GTS 512mb cards at one stage and it seemed OK though it wasn't for long. I've had my current PSU, a Jeantech Storm 700W, for about 2 years now and its rock solid. I wouldn't call them a poor PSU manufacturer in the enthusiast end of their range, only in their mainstream one (generic, bland 300/400/500w psus). the storm, Arctic, Orchid etc are all pretty good supplies. Really anything from the ORchid down here is pretty dodgey really (haven't read reviews of that 450w 'gamer' orientated one to be fair actually). But you definitely needed a new one for your current build really, best to have a bit of a margin rather then be pushing the limit.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

yeah but would you not invest in a higher rated PSU so you dont need to upgrade it again when you upgrade your components?

I think about 700 is maybe the sweet spot :D

yeah but would you not invest in a higher rated PSU so you dont need to upgrade it again when you upgrade your components?

That review is probably using an overclocked extreme processor and is, as per the review, using GTX295 and 4870X2 cards, and most likely various other high demand components, and still pulls around 450w tops....

So unless he's going GTX295 Sli/4870X2 crossfire, I doubt he needs to start worrying. The GTX295 will last a considerable length of time and it's successor will probably run cooler as well as faster come a year or twos time.

especially if its true that intel are developing the graphics on next gen consoles :pac:

i dont expect the same jumps on graphics over the next few years as we have been seeing i suppose, so your cards will last longer than previous gens if predictions are correct

especially if its true that intel are developing the graphics on next gen consoles :pac:

i dont expect the same jumps on graphics over the next few years as we have been seeing i suppose, so your cards will last longer than previous gens if predictions are correct

The funny thing is that I would bet money that the sale of 80-90% of 500w+ PSUS the last year or two to date is on systems that pull nowhere near the maximum load. The amount of people I see with 700/800W top quality psus and with something generic like an E8400 and a 4870 is unreal. Guru3d is the best place to spot the total excess in enthusiast building. I have a 700W PSU and my system pulls about 330 at load, but to be fair mine's a Jeantech and while very good was not very expensive, about the same as a 450w Corsair at the time but it was modular to boot, at that price, so I caved in. :D

Well guys. I changed my mind yet again and went for this baby.

https://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=415884

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

I have a gtx295 running on my seasonic 600watt and its fine. I had to buy a $10 dollar 6pin to 8 pin adapter but I wouldn't stress too much on power consumption. The 295 does drag as much power as i thought it would. That PSU is a solid choice especially if it has the 8 pin option. Its always better with PSU's to get the higher wattage for future proofing and given components are getting more efficient 850 watts is the max you'll need unless you're overclocking an sli/crossfire config.

Just to let you know, the extra two pins on the 8 pin connectors are actually just grounds and you can run the 295 with two 6 pins however every time you start it up it will beep but will boot.

Here's an article on how to overvolt the 295 for a bit of overclocking, no hardmodding is needed as it can all be done through the software.

Best of luck

Req:D

Advertisement