Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bean Bags

• 05-04-2009 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭

I was looking to get one as a tripod for using around the city, I can stick the camera on walls, bins etc and a tripod is too big and awkward. All the beanbags on e-bay look massive, so I'll probably make one to fit.
    Anyone know what's best to fill them with?
    I'm using a canon 40d with a 17-55 f/2.8 lens, so there's a bit of weight in it.
    I reckon the styrofoam balls might be a bit light.
    I know i can just use trial and error to get something it sits well in, but thought someone might have something that works well, I might as well ask for ideas.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

There's actually a beanbag with a tripod mount in it, I have one, but can't remember the name for the life of me - I think it's called something like 'The Pod' - It's very handy for balancing long lenses, but isn't the best for anything like a 1 second exposure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭leinsterman

For travel and trips ... I use exped dry bags ... which you can get at most camping stores (got mine in GReat Outdoors) ...

For info check out -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Exped-Dry-Bags/dp/B000SZTE4K

For me they offer a number of advantages ...

1 - They are cheap
    2 - They are available in a range of sizes to suit your needs (though the smallest two are probably the only ones you need for bean bag use)
    3 - The are versatile - you can use them as bean bags ... but they are also great for back pack storage (e.g. laundry), keeping cameras and camera gear away from the elements in wet (boats) or dusty (desert) environments...
    4 - They are air and water tight ...
    5 - They are discreet ...
    6 - They fold nice and small and very light (when you remove the filling) ... meaning you don't have to carry filling everywhere taking up precious airline baggage weight and bulk ... you buy filling on arrival and dump it on departure ...
    7 - The clip strap handle can be used to attach it to things so you dont lose it ... e.g. in Africa I attached the bag strap to the expedition vehice ... it gets bumpy off road ... things can fall out of the vehicle if you are not careful ... and when you are surrounded by a pride of lions retrieval is not an option!

As a filling I generally pop into a local market and look for something suitable ... ideally without sharp edges ... for example in Africa I used maize bought at a supermarket ... in USA I used dried pimento beans ... the bean are better since they are smoother edged so less chance of damaging the bag ...

[Edit] I'm not sure if is was the xx Small or just the small I used most ... it was one of the yellow ones ... it was used with an EOS 1D or 5D and a variety of lenses up to the Canon 100-400 ... but you should get a variety anyway ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

fill that badboy with rice. decent weight and stability and if you get stranded in the outback you can boil it up with a few witchity grubs. mmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i hvae one of those called the pod

it has a tripod screw in the middle which means you can attach to your camera

this means when you pick up your camera you dont ever forget the bean bag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

Here you go:
    http://www.thepod.ca/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

Have you thought of using a gorillapod : http://joby.com/products/gorillapod/

I've just ordered one myself - the original branded ones are expensive, but lots of clones on ebay.

I was on a trip to Amsterdam recently, and found a shortage of nice flat surfaces by the canals to rest my mini-tripod. However, one of these would have been ideal for attaching to bridge railings etc. They're light to carry too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 gas_ticket

The best thing about The Pod is that it protects the bottom of the camera when you lean it against walls, trees, lamp posts etc.

I've used it against portrait format against a lamp post for a two second exposure and had no problem. With digital you can take several shots and pick the one with the least shake.

I think it works best if you press the camera hard into the pod for a few seconds before exposure, as that settles the beads inside, and makes further settlement less likely.

It is very portable too. If I'm flying I always bring it, but never bring my other tripods, as they are all too heavy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Lady_North

I had never seen these. They look brilliant. Will def have to get one, the tripod I have can be so heavy and awkward. These look so versatile and handy. Thanks for the tip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Cheers for the options. The Pod looks perfect, but the silver one (perfect size) is a bit pricey. I might have a look for a cheaper make on e-bay.
    I tried the gorillapod in gunns on saturday, but it wobbled way too much when using it like a tripod. I suppose you could use it with the legs spread out like a flattened spider. I had a cheap e-bay one for my ixus, but it wasn't strong enough to support that! beware of the cheap ones! the joints need to be stiff.

I reckon a trip to the great outdoors is the best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 gas_ticket

The pod I referred to is this one:

http://www.thepod.ca/

THE%20REDpod%20with%20background%20circles%20and%208700%20camera%20on%20rock.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

mini-tripods are handy enough also

Advertisement