Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a question regarding .223 ammo

Options
  • 05-04-2009 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

hi, to one and all... (new to this so go easy on me).. i was talking to an ex gundealer from carlow.... regarding .223 rifles and ammo... and it was his understanding that there is going to be a ban on .223 ammo in the country in an effort to put a stop to the usage of same for illegal deer shooting...... it seems wierd to me, as i've also heard that a cull might be on the cards cause were being over run by the pesky critters.... has anyone heard anything??......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

hope not!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

andyone wrote: »
    hi, to one and all... (new to this so go easy on me).. i was talking to an ex gundealer from carlow.... regarding .223 rifles and ammo... and it was his understanding that there is going to be a ban on .223 ammo in the country in an effort to put a stop to the usage of same for illegal deer shooting...... it seems wierd to me, as i've also heard that a cull might be on the cards cause were being over run by the pesky critters.... has anyone heard anything??......

Hi Andyone

Welcome to the boards and dont be apologetic mate, thats what forums are for.

Although I have not heard this, I would be delighted to hear the reasoning behind why such a decision could be/was/is being made on this calibre.

If it were the case that the .223 was being selected, it would take alot of explaining, as there are many other calibres that are not deer legal in Ireland but which also could 'potentailly' be used to illegally kill a deer and as such they would (by logical reasoning) have to be banned too and this would leave an awful lot of calibres needlessly redundant.

Will be interesting to hear from other posters on this too, as many on here very much know the legistlation (current/proposed) and are genuinely great help.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Well it's news to me. If there was any truth to .223s being banned I doubt it would be to inhibit illegal deer shooting.

Oh, and welcome. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭andyone

thanks for the welcome.... found it a bit wierd myself.... and shocking as i was hoping to join the many in the realms of centrefire..... and thought that .223 would be a good entry level with the least hassel....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

jesus ,hope that doesnt happen ,doesnt make sense to me as if the .223 is banned ,poachers just their hand on bigger caliber

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Andyone, I know of a firearms dealer who has being saying that for the past couple of years and before that was talking about the banning of 12 gauge shotguns. I would put it down to pure scare mongering and wonder if he had a 22-250 he wanted to sell on to you :rolleyes:.

We've all been in the position where we went into a shop and asked for "xyz" and been told that we don't need that or that they were no good and gave a lot of trouble and what we really needed was one of these which I just happen to have in stock!!

ha ha fishslap.. your so right... same thing happened when i was getting married...has any one got any thoughts on a good entry level .223..... bearing in mind that no one has money anymore....

ha ha fishslap.. your so right... same thing happened when i was getting married...has any one got any thoughts on a good entry level .223..... bearing in mind that no one has money anymore....

howa do a good budget minded 223...remington sps is worth alook aswell. you could also pick up a light weight cz for a good price..the cz would be my pick...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

And CZ was my pick..............
    A bit above entry level pricewise but it will out shoot a lot of guns costing a few dollors more. CZ Varmint 223 around €1150-€1300

DSCF0885.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

clivej wrote: »
    And CZ was my pick..............
    A bit above entry level pricewise but it will out shoot a lot of guns costing a few dollors more. CZ Varmint 223 around €1150-€1300

DSCF0885.jpg

You'd get a Tikka T3 Super Varmint for that price. Why go with the CZ? I was under the impression the T3 was the king of the price bracket (and one of the best .223's regardless)??

• Advertisement

Yep can't go wrong with a CZ :D:D:D

bigred wrote: »
    You'd get a Tikka T3 Super Varmint for that price. Why go with the CZ? I was under the impression the T3 was the king of the price bracket (and one of the best .223's regardless)??

Tikka T3 Super Varmint will be €1304. A CZ Lux 223 can be got for €788 (both at Duffy's Galway), shop around you could get them cheaper.

oh.....my......god...... CLIVEJ i want one, that looks the dogs perverbials...... but do you find the varmit barrel a little heavy to be lugging around..... although i want to get out a good many yards with it......i'll also be using it for lamping foxes for local farmers... and with the lighting equipment and a good quality can on it..... i'd be out of breath ten paces from the car.....lol....do you think the barrel is worth the addded weight

oh.....my......god...... CLIVEJ i want one, that looks the dogs perverbials...... but do you find the varmit barrel a little heavy to be lugging around..... although i want to get out a good many yards with it......i'll also be using it for lamping foxes for local farmers... and with the lighting equipment and a good quality can on it..... i'd be out of breath ten paces from the car.....lol....do you think the barrel is worth the addded weight

I find it PERFECT it's only a 1LB heavier than the other CZ 223's BUT it's more than made up for it with that HS Kevlar stock it just sits in the hand real good like. There's less felt recoil and jump with the varmint barrel.

Wait until a get my new ASE Ultr Nightstar moderator 5/8" thread (it's on the way) with the Bushnell 4200 6-24x50 scope and I'll get some more photo's up. Then it will be time to start drooling. :D

http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=13

The cz varmint barrel has more of a taper on it than most varmint barrels around therefor reducing weight(excluding fluted varmint barrels)

clivej,,,, i'm drooling already..

Yes its a medium to heavy barrel, but its got an action which is designed for the .223 so its a slightly smaller action than the remmys which are designed for much larger cal.s so therefore the remmys are a heavier action with a longer throw to the bolt. For a .223 IMHO the CZ is hard to beat.

FS

Advertisement