Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complaint about PSNI Recruitment Forum Moderation

Options
  • 05-04-2009 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hello,

I have been using the PSNI Recruitment boards for approximately 6 months, and have a complaint about the way in which some moderators address posts that they feel are unsuitable. My compliant is in reference to this particular post in the General Thread :http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055314433&page=165. I am also unhappy with the way in which several posts of mine and one other board user on this thread (General Info): http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055524854&page=4
    were removed without immediate explanation.

My complaint is about the way in which some of the moderators on this forum, and especially in the case noted above, choose to disgrace and humilate board users whose posts they disagree with. It does not add any value to the forum and does not make pleasant reading for other forum users. A better method to address issues might include privately messaging the offending forum user with regard to the disputed posts, and posting a public message to let other board users know the issue is being addressed. This would represent a fairer way to moderate the forum.

With regard to the removed posts, this occured when I posted a message in the General Info thread about the post outlined above. My message stated that I felt the above post was over-the-top and unneeded, and that board users should not be publically lambasted in this manner. This post was then removed, without explanation until a few hours later. The moderator then explained that they had removed it as it was out of context and referenced deleted posts. However, I feel it was because my post criticised the moderators actions, as several posts about this matter still remain on the PSNI General Info thread, and I feel this demonstrates double standards.

In conclusion, I believe that the moderators on this forum should re-evaluate the way in which they deal with posts which they feel are inappriopriate. I understand that moderating a forum is a difficult job, but I do not feel that moderators should publically berate fellow board users in the way I have referenced above.

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ok, one or two things here.

Firstly, the thread is not a place to question moderators actions, feedback or helpdesk is. Since this is regarding a specific case, I will move this thread to Helpdesk. You should be able to respond to it there as will the admins.

Secondly, I reviewed your links and I couldn't see any deleted posts (I can always see posts, even when they are removed by the moderator). I'll look further in the morning but if you can give me an idea of where they were then that might help. (each post is numbers top right of the post).

Thirdly, the posts are all numbered top right as I have mentioned and thats a link directly to that post. Its more helpful to us if you can link directly to the offending post as otherwise it leaves us guessing which one you might mean.

If you can do that we can speed up reviewing this issue. Thanks.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭suziesaysso

1) General Thread :http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055314433&page=165 post no 2465.
    2)General Info: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055524854&page=4 (the deleted posts were after post no 48)

Apologies for posting in wrong thread.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I see nothing more than PSNI doing his job as a moderator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭suziesaysso

I am not disputing whether PSNI is doing his job as moderator, I am disputing the way in which he has done it on this occassion. I do not think giving someone a public dressing-down is a good way to regulate anything, including an internet forum.

I don't normally concern myself with online squabbles, but after using the psni boards for around 6 months, I have seen one too many instances of PSNI (and other moderators) belittling other board users. So I felt the need to act on this occassion, especially after my posts on the subject were deleted by PSNI within about 5 minutes of me posting them, without explanation.

I am not disputing whether PSNI is doing his job as moderator, I am disputing the way in which he has done it on this occassion. I do not think giving someone a public dressing-down is a good way to regulate anything, including an internet forum.

You want him to sugar coat it?

I've always found PSNI to be nothing but polite in his dealings with people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Suzie normally we dont like to publicly reprimand a poster but sometimes it is impossible. Such times where a poster is brought up in public over something is like text speak, it is done also to remind other posters as well as informing the bold poster of the charter as people can get carried away and lose the run of themselves. It saves us alot of time of PM'ing one individual only to have to PM other individuals on the same thing. Its better to post a warning publicly rather spend most of our time running around after people.

As In Ali08's case there was alot of behind the scenes PM'ing but she just wouldnt let go nor take our own point of view. If I remember correctly Ali08 was given 2 warnings and one infraction by PSNI and PYG until she posted her last post on the General PSNI Thread. I saw her post first and I banned her for one week.

As for deleting posts on that thread, well was done by PSNI and rightly so. You and the other posters should have realised those deleted posts were not in keeping with the topic and therefore dont need to be told why they deleted.

I hope this helps

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I have seen one too many instances of PSNI (and other moderators) belittling other board users.

This is now a separate issue.

Please provide evidence of where I have belittled board users. I take accusations like this very seriously.
    So I felt the need to act on this occassion, especially after my posts on the subject were deleted by PSNI within about 5 minutes of me posting them, without explanation.

The site's Terms and Conditions clearly state that: "The owners of boards.ie reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason..." and they delegate that right to us, the forum moderators. We do not have to provide you with explanations. You are free to ask us via PM why your post was deleted, but posting this:
    In 1998, the UK incorporated the European Convention, and the guarantee of freedom of expression it contains in Article 10, into its domestic law under the Human Rights Act.

...when only 1 of YOUR posts was deleted certainly does not do your credibility any favours. You are on a private forum. Freedom of expression does not apply on an internet forum owned and operated on Irish soil by a private Irish company.

In the Help Desk, we are both equal. I am not a mod here. You have now accused me as per your quote above. If you are unable to provide evidence to support your accusation, I would ask that you withdraw your claim, and apologise immediately.

psni wrote: »

Please provide evidence of where I have belittled board users. I take accusations like this very seriously.

suziesaysso
    Could you provide evidence as per psni's request above?
    Thanks.

Advertisement