Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linksys WRT54G security settings lost

Options
  • 05-04-2009 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭

Hi all - I have a Linksys WRT54G router which I had secured with (I think) WEP encryption. It's been working away grand for over a year, but a few days ago I couldn't connect at all so I rebooted it. When I turned it back on it was unsecured i.e. it somehow managed to lose the security settings so it's now wide open. I tried to reset the security by going to http://192.168.1.1 and entering admin / admin. The router security page is all screwed up for some reason, there's no links or text appearing on the page. I've attached a screen shot that shows the admin page.

How might this have happened - could someone from outside have gotten to the home page and reset the security? Does anyone know how I can secure it again, or why the admin page is screwed up?

Cheers,
    Ciaran.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

aka_Ciaran wrote: »
    Hi all - I have a Linksys WRT54G router which I had secured with (I think) WEP encryption. It's been working away grand for over a year, but a few days ago I couldn't connect at all so I rebooted it. When I turned it back on it was unsecured i.e. it somehow managed to lose the security settings so it's now wide open. I tried to reset the security by going to http://192.168.1.1 and entering admin / admin. The router security page is all screwed up for some reason, there's no links or text appearing on the page. I've attached a screen shot that shows the admin page.

How might this have happened - could someone from outside have gotten to the home page and reset the security? Does anyone know how I can secure it again, or why the admin page is screwed up?

Cheers,
    Ciaran.

Really all anyone can do on here in relation to the cause is speculate.

The most important thing to do is get it secured and working again. If could be that the router has developed a fault hopefully it hasnt.

You should be able to reset it to factory settings by pressing in a little pinhole at the back. It that doesnt work for you then I would suggest downloading the latest firmware and reflashing it and then try setting it up all over again using wpa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭aka_Ciaran

Ok I downloaded the latest firmware, but it's one file called WRT54Gv5v6_1.02.5.002_fw.bin. What can I use to open this or what am I supposed to do with it...there aren't any instructions on the linksys site re how to flash the router.

Advertisement