Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weight loss supplements

• 05-04-2009 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I understand that Green Tea has been proven to aid weight loss.....
    I'm just wondering if anything similar to green tea exists in tablet form..?
    I have tried drinking it, but I find the taste unbearable.
    Are there any green tea supplements available in chemists or health food stores?

Also, are there any other proven natural supplements that may aid weight loss? I heard kelp mentioned before...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Have heard a lot of people reccommend Chinese Puerh tea (sorry don't know how to spell it) don't know much about it myself, and I'm guessing it might not taste too pleasant either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Pu-erh actually tastes a bit closer to black tea, and I've found it to be a good digestion aid, though I didn't necessarily notice any weight loss effects. Nature's Way/ Holland & Barrett do green tea in capsule form, it's not too expensive either as I recall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Pu-erh is a very nice tea, lots of anti-oxidents, but no research to show it helps you lose weight.

Green tea supplements are available in various forms. You can also get flavoured green tea which tastes better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Green tea can taste very different. For example I'd spit out Cutters but would sip away at Twinnings happily. Try a few different ones would be my suggestion or get flavoured ones as Eileen suggested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭*Honey*

Does Green Tea (in liquid or capsule form) actually benefit in weight loss though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

There are studies to show that it does actually increase the rate at which you burn calories. It's not going to make up for a pig-out in the cake shop, but it can help. And green tea has a lot of health benefits, so it's totally worth doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭*Honey*

Interesting - I thought it was just another of these "lose all your weight in a day" sort of things. Going to H&B tomorrow so I might check them out.. thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I like the fairtrade green tea that insomnia sells. I can't stand twinnings after someone bought me a box that had jasmine in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

I'm no expert, but I think the benefits of green tea are often misconceived.

It can aid weight loss, but it's not going to make you lose weight.

Caffeine is a good metabolism booster anyway. Good for weight management... As long as you're not nulling out whatever benefits it gives by adding an ounce of cream and sugar on top of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 AalanSmith

Yes, now you can get green tea extract in pill form. Green tea seems to be in the press more and more and allegedly does everything from revitalizing your skin to curing cancer and in losing weight. Protect yourself from weight related illness by loosing weight. The risk of health problems increases with the amount you are overweight. There are also other Herbal supplements aid in weight reduction which can helps you in lower the health risks of obesity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Green Tea is lovely. I can drink cups of it all day. OP should be easy enough to get green tea extract capsules from a local health food store.

myprotein.co.uk has a Mega green tea extract. Though i wouldn't advise buying from there unless you are ordering a few items with it, to get your money's worth from delivery charge.

Advertisement