Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I pause payments on a BOI student loan?

Options
  • 06-04-2009 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

So I am about to lose my job :( and am still paying back my student loan with BOI, I actually pay in more than I am supposed to each month as I was hoping to pay it back early. Do you think they would let me take a break from paying it for say 4-5 months to give me a chance to sort things out? How would I go about sorting this? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Contact your bank and ask them can you. As far as I know it's based on your circumstances etc.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

As Random said, give your branch a ring. I'd say you'll be in a better position to request this than others might be, because you've been making extra payments on your loan, so it might be entirely possible for you to pause payments for a couple of months while still keeping the loan on schedule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

What you "might" be able to do is withdraw the extra payments you have made thus bringing back the loan inline to the balance where you not paying in extra. When I say "might" it would be up to the branch to allow this and TBH it would be done in exceptional circumstances. Therefore you might not need to pause repayments at all.

Advertisement