Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile bill query *weird*

Options
  • 06-04-2009 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi all.

I signed up to billpay with one of the major mobile operators last year. When I was signing up they asked if I wanted to pay by direct debit and I said not immediately which was fine.

For the first few months I paid by giro and all was well so I never bothered with direct debit.

3 bills ago one thing led to another and I never got round to paying the bill. When the following months bill came out I expected it to be a double whammy, but it wasn't. It said that the previous months payment had been received by direct debit. Obviously this is impossible because I didn't give any account details, but I checked my bank statements to be sure and indeed no direct debit was taken out.

I then checked my bills online and there, alongside my giro payments every month, were direct debit payments.

I left it again without paying this month and surely enough the latest bill has payment received by direct debit on top.

Questions:

1. What the hell is going on?

2. Would you tell them about this error?

3. Do you think I'm going to be liable for all these bills if and when they cop on and as such should I just pay up now?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

1. Seems like they're taking the money from someone else.
    2. Yes, because this other person will notice eventually and they'll come looking for a lump sum off you.
    3. Yes, you're liable for the bills so just ring them up, point out the mistake and arrange to get them paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 spiderfish

I just can't imagine how such an error could be made? I mean unless the guy in the shop filled in someone elses details on my contract. Even then it would be bound to cause a computer conflict if the name on the contract differed from the account holder's name.

But yes, I think this is the course of action I will take because I don't want to be doing anyone out of money.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

OP If you ring them they can tell you if they have bank details for you.

Also I know that if you owe 100 euro and it's due to be debited on 21st of the month, if you pay by cash/cc etc before that date they operator wont go to your account using DD.

Advertisement