Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st Time Build

Options
  • 06-04-2009 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

Hey I'm looking at upgrading our home pc, which is a bit dated now, originally got it from Gateway 9 years ago!!!! Anyhow I would like to be able to build it to my own specs and have decided to have a go at building one (I have opened up a few pcs before to put in drives and cards) Just wondering if the components in the attachment below would all be compatible and if I need anything else? Just wondering if I'd need a sound card? Also the price comes to €700 w/o monitor, keyboard and OS so if anyone has any tips on how I could knock off a few quid it would be much appreciated. BTW I guess the PC will be used mainly for surfing the web, running a few standard apps, some gaming and watching movies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

Case and power supply: Has to go! power supply mightnt even start your rig! Better off with a proper case and a proper and efficient 500w power supply

Graphics card is ridiculously overpriced! You can buy its behemoth brother, the HD4870... for less on pixmania at the moment!!!

Shop Around:
    www.pixmania.ie (good offers on computing at the moment)
    www.hardwareversand.de (€30 flat rate delivery to Ireland)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Toco: Don't laugh at the Sonata 3; it ships with a genuine 500W Earthwatts (mid-range Seasonic). Its a quality PSU and should be more than able to handle this build.

And that HD4850 is pretty pricey - it has a special cooler and is really designed for very heavy OCing (well over 700MHz, ATT time!) or moderate OC plus low noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Solitaire wrote: »
    And that HD4850 is pretty pricey - it has a special cooler and is really designed for very heavy OCing (well over 700MHz, ATT time!) or moderate OC plus low noise.

Well if you consider an after market cooler will cost around €30....

The vapour X cooler is meant to be a good bit quieter than the stock and if you wanted a better cooler than the stock and save yourself the hassle of voiding your warranty fitting a very fiddly Arctic Cooling Accelero Twin Turbo I can see the point :D.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

get a cheaper processor and graphics card, its not really needed to be that expensive :D

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=376380
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=365213

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Don't know about that, I agree with the HD4850 (VaporX is only neccesary in heavy-OC or noise-sensitive builds) but the E5200 is only a good idea if Mike wants to overclock it and I don't think he does. Given that then I'd be more tempted to save some money on the choice of mobo before making any significant reductions in CPU power.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭ColonelCarnage

Your seagate HDD is listed as 99 euros but you could get this instead:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=343055

Samsung Spinpoint F1 - exactly the same specs and very reliable, I haev two! Also its only 87 euros from Komplett and the usual cheap shipping.

Also as for a sound card - Its not necessary, especially when you are trying to build a budget pc you will probably be better trying to out that 70 euros into a processor or GPU instead - most decent motherboards will have adequate onboard sound for what you are doing.

Advertisement