Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PPTP VPN through router

Options
  • 06-04-2009 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

Hi in my college we are required to connect to the internet via pptp vpn. I am trying to set up a little network just to share files between a desktop and a laptop wirelessly.

I connected the routers WAN port to the college network and my desk top to one of the lan ports in the router, I tryed to connect the vpn and it wouldn't work, I tryed forwarding the pptp tcp port, cant remember the exact one at present, I tryed setting the desktop as a DMZ server and connecting that way but it wouldn't work either, the college lan is a 10.0.0.0 network and the router is set to 192.0.0.0 so would this make a difference, I'm lost.

The router has vpn passthrough so I can't figure out why it won't work.

Thanks

Ed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Alot of colleges have this configuration (I know NUIM does in particular).
    Anway... VPN passtrough on the router basically means that if you are connecting to a VPN service (via a VPN Client ON YOUR PC) it will allow the VPN to pass through the router.

The majority of home / consumer routers support 1 VPN Passthrough instance.

Connecting the WAN port of the router to the port on the wall will not work.
    Think about it... how is the router going initialize the VPN connection? (... and it needs and IP... and gateway, dns etc...)

You need to run the VPN connection directly from your clients (well... at least you should).

There are other ways to do this... but you don't want to go to all that bother :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

BTW... If you want to share files between you PC and Laptop... cant you just plug both into the ethernet "switch" on the router.

You could just connect the two with a XOver cable either.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭eddyc

Yeah thats what I have been doing, I was just hoping I could have a wifi connection to my router so when I came home I would not have to plug in the ethernet to connect to the VPN network, ah well, thanks for the advice. :)

Advertisement