Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travelling the East Coast of the US down to the Deep South...

• 06-04-2009 2:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm working on a plan to head over to the US for a month in the summer with a friend of mine to do some travelling as we'll both have completed our final summer exams this year in our degrees and so I need ye're help!

We plan to flying to Boston from Shannon....

Here's the list of cities we want to see and the order in which we want to hit them:

- Boston
    - New York City
    - Washington
    - Raleigh, North Carolina
    - Atlanta, Georgia
    - New Orleans
    - Houston, Texas

We're going to try and use the train as much as possible but may use the bus between Boston and NYC and NYC and Washington to save a few quid.

The burning question for us though is how much time should we spend in each city?

I was thinking a week for NYC as I was there for 2 nights last summer and it wasn't half enough, had a week in Boston at the same time and enjoyed it, could have spent a lot longer than a week but to be honest I felt I got to know it quick enough that I'd not have to spend ages there again.

How much time would you allocate to Washington? We both study US Foreign Policy/History so we'd want to see pretty much everything in that area like the Vietnam War Memorial, Capitol Hill, the White House and all of the museums...

I really don't know what to allocate to Raleigh or Atlanta - I'm thinking 3 days each. New Orleans and Houston would probably have a lot to offer so 4 days each would be needed probably...

It seems to me that 30 days just may not be enough - an extra 5 days could go a long way...

Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I did that entire trip (well similar route) in around than 30days

I had 3days in boston and I got the chinatownbus to new york and that was cheap as chips

5 days in NYC, 3 days in Wash DC (mainly due to staying with a friend) - 2 days was grand here to do all the sightseeing

I didn't go to Raleigh, but went to Atlanta - 2 days was fine for me here.
    I then went to Mephis & Nashville (Both places I'd highly recommend)

I didn't go to N.O as the hurricane hit that year, I was suppose to go to Houston but went to Austin instead - it was a fantastic place Austin - I loved it, great music seen and had a great vibe to the city.

Here was my trip
    NYC - 5days
    Boston - 3 days
    Chicago (flight) - 4days
    Philly (flight) - 4 days
    Wash DC - 3 days (I stayed in virgina and commuted)
    Atlanta (flight) - 3 days
    Nashville - 2 days
    Memphis - 2 days
    1 day travelling
    Austin - 2 days
    Dallas - 3 days (worst city ever)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Fabio

Thanks for the reply Hussey, seems like you'd a great trip.

Overall we're looking at a budget of €1200 to cover all trains, buses and flights and accomodation.

I'm saying 35 days would be best cos we'll be on the train a lot and more time = less stress.

Any advice on that or am I overly worried?

As for Atlanta, what things are there to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

are internal flights around the states cheap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Fabio

Not really, or so I've heard.

The train is cheap from what I have looked at.

Advertisement