Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refinishing a stock

Options
  • 06-04-2009 3:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Any of ye ever refinish a shotgun stock. my gun seems to have got a bad touch up job on it before i bought it. You can see brush strokes just at the side of the chequering on the grip!
    was thinking of using the tru-oil kit to finish it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭philog

where can you buy tru-oil i need some too

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

If it's an oiled stock, why not use boiled linseed oil - you can even add a little coloured stain to it to darken the wood. You can buy linseed oil in any hardware store.

I decided to gave my Browning Medalist game gun a going over. The gun is about 10 years old and the varnished stock was looking a little worse for wear. Between scrapes, scrtaches, chipped varnish and general all round abuse, it was time to get stripping.

This was how it looked yesterday morning before I tackled it.

SmallStockbefore.jpg

A quick trip to Woodies and I had my Nitromors varnish remover, superfine steel wool, a scraper and some nylon pot scrubs. Obviously I took the gun apart to leave just the wood. The first coat of stripper lifted some of the varnish but it needed about 10 coats in total.

SmallStockwithstripper.jpg

After about an hour and a half I was nearly done. Some bits in around the pistol grip were stubborn and took a lot of scrubbing.

SmallStockstripped.jpg

Once the varnish was removed, it was steel wool and white spirits to give it the final clean down before recoating. I used boiled lindseed oil with a little drop of a dark oak woodstain to add a bit of colour. The raw wood on the gun was poor enough - just about a grade 1, so it needed that extra bit of colour to give it a lift. After about three coats of oil, the stock and forend went to my drying room - the clothes line!

SmallStockdrying.jpg

This morning it was dry, so it got another rub of the oil just to finish it off.

SmallStockfinished.jpg

It turned out very well with a lovely silky smooth finish. The oil will protect it from the elements and it makes it very easy to touch up as needs be. Finally a picture of the before and after together.

Stockbeforeandafter.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

philog wrote: »
    where can you buy tru-oil i need some too
    ebay.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

Looks very good pullandbang!;) it brought it on wonders!:D did you bring it out in the rain or get it damp yet? i heard that the linseed oil can go tacky when damp?

another thing i heard was that the linseed oil gunmakers use is designed (it contains certain things conatined in varnish and laquers) to dry out and harden better than ordinary linseed oil. But when you added the stain you solved this problem!

how did you find finishing the chequering area on the gun?

• Advertisement

ayapatrick wrote: »
    i heard that the linseed oil can go tacky when damp?

Make sure it's BOILED linseed oil. I've used it on my trap gun fpr a long time and once it's dried in properly, it doesn't get tacky.
    another thing i heard was that the linseed oil gunmakers use is designed (it contains certain things conatined in varnish and laquers) to dry out and harden better than ordinary linseed oil. But when you added the stain you solved this problem!

Not sure, but a pal of mine fixed a dent in the timber on another gun and he used boiled linseed oil with a colour added. Worked wonders.
    how did you find finishing the chequering area on the gun?

The scouring pads and a toothbrush got the varnish out of the chequering and dabbing the oil in with a cloth was enough to get it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

well done pullandbang, looks excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

wow great result! Something scary about carving away the finish though!

Advertisement