Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which car shall I buy?

Options
  • 06-04-2009 8:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Hi All;

I am considering to buy a car these days but very undecided, I have few options but not sure which one to go, appreciate your help on this case;

Opel Astra 00 - 1600eur car seems fine 100.000m on the clock NCT 01/10 Tax expires this month 1.4

WV Bora 00 - 1700eur NCT 12/11 no tax 90K mileage not sure as i read so many bad reviews regarding Bora 1.4

Ford Focus 01 - NCT expires in june no tax 100k mileage 1700eur 1.4

Honda Civic 99 - NCT due next month no tax 1.4 engine seems decent not yet seen the car,

These are my options my budget is up to 1700eur with tax 2.000 I will pay so any ideas are well appreciated

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Astra is ok but the 1.4 litre is known to blow head gaskets.

The 1.4 Bora is also a weak engine, known for issues with excessive use of oil, various oxygen sensor failures and the gearbox is weak on them too.

The Civic is probably the most reliable but they are expensive to buy and they have a poor rep as being a weapon of choice among the modified crew.

The Focus is probably the best choice here, it is generally a reliable car and very nice to drive. However if you can afford it go for a 1.6 litre, the 1.4 litre is underpowered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

bazz26 wrote: »
    The Focus is probably the best choice here, it is generally a reliable car and very nice to drive. However if you can afford it go for a 1.6 litre, the 1.4 litre is underpowered.

In the old model Focus the 1.4 is adequate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

How about a 97 Almera GTI with less than 70k on the clock, FSH, NCT and tax'd till June for 1,500?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Cahit

bazz26 wrote: »
    The Astra is ok but the 1.4 litre is known to blow head gaskets.

The 1.4 Bora is also a weak engine, known for issues with excessive use of oil, various oxygen sensor failures and the gearbox is weak on them too.

The Civic is probably the most reliable but they are expensive to buy and they have a poor rep as being a weapon of choice among the modified crew.

I am looking non-modified civics actually you know saloon family type of those but really hard to find a decent one so focus seems good?

In the old model Focus the 1.4 is adequate.

well i am looking for 1.4 roughly as tax is high for 1.6 (100eur difference)

• Advertisement

steve06 wrote: »
    How about a 97 Almera GTI with less than 70k on the clock, FSH, NCT and tax'd till June for 1,500?

Thanks mate but I am looking a saloon type of car 5 doors and around 98-00 with decent price, but thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Hey man

I'm thinkin of selling my 01 Seat leon 58K miles new timing belt and tires its a 1.4 taxed and NCT untill the end of this year.
    Its in good mechanical order. But some scrout in Cork keyed one side of it.
    Its silver. Give me a PM if intrested would be looking in around 2.5K for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Mr Tombstone

Cahit wrote: »
    Hi All;

I am considering to buy a car these days but very undecided, I have few options but not sure which one to go, appreciate your help on this case;

Opel Astra 00 - 1600eur car seems fine 100.000m on the clock NCT 01/10 Tax expires this month 1.4

WV Bora 00 - 1700eur NCT 12/11 no tax 90K mileage not sure as i read so many bad reviews regarding Bora 1.4

Ford Focus 01 - NCT expires in june no tax 100k mileage 1700eur 1.4

Honda Civic 99 - NCT due next month no tax 1.4 engine seems decent not yet seen the car,

These are my options my budget is up to 1700eur with tax 2.000 I will pay so any ideas are well appreciated

Thanks

My advice is keep looking. I assume that NCT is the same as MOT in the North?? Ive a rule I look for cars with altleast 9mts mot and atleast some tax. If the car doesnt have mot or not very much dont touch it. There is a reason they are selling the car with little mot on it. Ialso try and stay away from cars with high mileage anything higer than 70k id steer well clear.

From those examples id always say Honda but not that one the Bora souns like its been a taxi at some point and is a good car but expesive for parts.

The open seems the best of a bad bunch but the mileage would put me off. Its cheap for parts though.

My advice is and you might not like like but go for a Daewoo they are cheap and easy to run and the parts are vauxhall. And you should pick a good one up with your budget!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Honda for me, at that age and mileage I would go for the most reliable option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Ialso try and stay away from cars with high mileage anything higer than 70k id steer well clear.

You wont be finding too many 60k gems for that money. OP high mileage is nothing at all to worry about once the car has the service history to back it up. Dont be afraid to ring a garage either to verify this.
    the Bora souns like its been a taxi at some point and is a good car but expesive for parts.

:confused:

Out of those mentioned, an unmolested Civic or Focus would be my choice. Had a 1.4 Focus and its well worth getting the 1.6. You'll save the difference in tax easily through better fuel economy as the 1.4 has to be worked very hard indeed

• Advertisement

EPM wrote: »
    You wont be finding too many 60k gems for that money. OP high mileage is nothing at all to worry about once the car has the service history to back it up. Dont be afraid to ring a garage either to verify this.

Your probaly right about the the money if its those types of models your after on that budget. But if i was on a budget of that money id wouldnt be looking at any of those models. If had that budget id be looking at a smaller engine car with a good mileage mot and tax. Something like I said a daewoo or fiesta or even a small vauxhall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I dont have any problems with the fuel consuption in my 1.4 Focus. I usually get between 375-425 miles (600kms - 680kms)from a full tank.

EDIT -

Here's what looks like a clean Civic -
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1368251

Or you might squeeze this minter in under your budget -
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1349301

Psygnosis wrote: »
    Hey man

I'm thinkin of selling my 01 Seat leon 58K miles new timing belt and tires its a 1.4 taxed and NCT untill the end of this year.
    Its in good mechanical order. But some scrout in Cork keyed one side of it.
    Its silver. Give me a PM if intrested would be looking in around 2.5K for it

thanks mate but it is well over my budget sounds like a decent car but i cannot afford it.

My advice is keep looking. I assume that NCT is the same as MOT in the North?? Ive a rule I look for cars with altleast 9mts mot and atleast some tax. If the car doesnt have mot or not very much dont touch it. There is a reason they are selling the car with little mot on it. Ialso try and stay away from cars with high mileage anything higer than 70k id steer well clear.

From those examples id always say Honda but not that one the Bora souns like its been a taxi at some point and is a good car but expesive for parts.

The open seems the best of a bad bunch but the mileage would put me off. Its cheap for parts though.

My advice is and you might not like like but go for a Daewoo they are cheap and easy to run and the parts are vauxhall. And you should pick a good one up with your budget!!

Yes mate MOT = NCT, thanks for your comments though with these specs, hard to find car within my price range, it is really hard to find decent Hinda without modified and I think I will wait for a while for Honda or Ford Focus those seem to be the best within my range, thanks mate.

:confused:

Out of those mentioned, an unmolested Civic or Focus would be my choice. Had a 1.4 Focus and its well worth getting the 1.6. You'll save the difference in tax easily through better fuel economy as the 1.4 has to be worked very hard indeed

To be honest I wasnt looking 1.6s as for their high tax rates, there are some decent focus around actually might try few 1.6 ones, thanks mate

I dont have any problems with the fuel consuption in my 1.4 Focus. I usually get between 375-425 miles (600kms - 680kms)from a full tank.

EDIT -

Here's what looks like a clean Civic -
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1368251

Or you might squeeze this minter in under your budget -
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1349301

Civic looks very nice actually might give him a call and see, ive a Peugeot 106 right now 98 and i am trying to upgrade non-Peugeot not because i dont like them but i want to have a different car, it sounds you make a lot of km with full tank.

hi guys;

what do you think about rover 45? 1.4i is it a decent car, i just founbd with 2 year nct on it 02/11 would you advise?

thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

hi guys;

what do you think about rover 45? 1.4i is it a decent car, i just founbd with 2 year nct on it 02/11 would you advise?

thank you

It's the same car basically as the Civic you're looking at except it is more prone to blowing head gaskets.

VolvoMan wrote: »
    It's the same car basically as the Civic you're looking at except it is more prone to blowing head gaskets.

so you would not recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

so you would not recommend?

Stick with a Civic or Focus mate.

• Advertisement

hi guys;

thank you

Stay away from the Rovers mate they are nicknamed "the choclate engines" as the cylinder head gasket melts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

Stay away from the Rovers mate they are nicknamed "the choclate engines" as the cylinder head gasket melts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

I have a Rover 45 year 00, and your right about the head gasket but apart from that, I had no other issue with him at all since I have it from 2006.

Bobo78 wrote: »
    I have a Rover 45 year 00, and your right about the head gasket but apart from that, I had no other issue with him at all since I have it from 2006.

My dad has a rover 400 its a lovely car inside and out but the head gasket went but he loved it so much he got it fixed. No problems since.

Keep an eye on your water bottle if it goes murky it means the gaskets about to go!

thank you all s rover 45 dropped from my list now Ive found another car well trying to find for my budget ones, 01Renault Megane 1900eur 1.4 abs, airbags etc 02/11 NCT no tax, is this car good? actually is the money worths or shall i wait until i find decent civi or a focus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Seriously, the Megane are known to have electrical gremlins on both old and new models. Honestly, take the advice on the Civic or the Focus. If there was anything better for the money it would have been suggested already.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Focus/NCT-03%231/200914192376771/advert

Should be possible for your budget

Seriously, the Megane are known to have electrical gremlins on both old and new models. Honestly, take the advice on the Civic or the Focus. If there was anything better for the money it would have been suggested already.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Focus/NCT-03%231/200914192376771/advert

Should be possible for your budget

Ok thanks i will stick with these cars, though based inLimerick so will look in tipp and clare or further galway to see if I can find anything.

Thank you all.

Advertisement