Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Police?) Helicopter over Drogheda 6 April

Options
  • 06-04-2009 9:03am

Morning all

Does anybody know what (I'm assuming it was the police) helicopter was doing hovering over Drogheda this morning from 6 am to 6.30am?? It certainly woke my household up!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

It might have to do with this?

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055531250

It's very common for choppers to be flying around Drogheda at the weirdest time of day :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

Someone made a hoax call saying someone was in the river - its not the first time the person in question has done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Harry Tasker

Is that why the air/sea rescue helicopter was hovering over the river around the Scotch Hall area between 8pm and 8.45 last Saturday evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Jep. They never found the body though. As the coastguard said, It might have been a big seal or something. Good thing they come out anyways and take every call serieus, I admire their work!

Hmmm, I know it wasn't the coastguard helicopter, this was smaller. It stayed absolutely on station for the whole half an hour, not moving by more than a few tens of metres. Surely if they were looking for something in the water, they'd track back and forth (like the coastguard does)?? And fly low - this guy was about 1000 ft up

I'd say the helicopter was over Greenhills, rather than the viaduct (but it's really hard to judge the lateral distance from my place)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Hmmm, I know it wasn't the coastguard helicopter, this was smaller. It stayed absolutely on station for the whole half an hour, not moving by more than a few tens of metres. Surely if they were looking for something in the water, they'd track back and forth (like the coastguard does)?? And fly low - this guy was about 1000 ft up

I'd say the helicopter was over Greenhills, rather than the viaduct (but it's really hard to judge the lateral distance from my place)

Location correct. Was constantly hovering around my place for 20 minutes solid.
    Woke the 4 kids, my wife and me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

saw it on saturday evening alright, we're talking the red and white sikorsky chopper ??? my dog wasn't pleased with it at all :D , thats a coast guard helicopter not police as far as i know.

Didnt hear anything locally to suggest misfortune or to explain its appearance, if it was a hoax cal shame on them as its costly for a heli to even take off :mad:

calex71 wrote: »
    saw it on saturday evening alright, we're talking the red and white sikorsky chopper ??? , thats a coast guard helicopter not police as far as i know.

Calex, no, this was on Monday morning at 6 am and I'm sure it wasn't the big Sikorsky the Coastguard uses (below)

280px-Irish_Coast_Guard_Helicopter.jpg

Still a mystery to me, anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭NAGGIE03

The Well pub/Grennans on the Newfoundwell road was broken into in the early hours of yesterday morning!Around the time you mentioned! There was a big garda manhunt in operation! I dont think they caught them though! A workmate of mine lives nearby and the tools for the job were thrown into his garden!

Thanks - it was definitely the Garda helicopter, I have confirmation of that - and let's hope they catch 'em despite it being the only growth business left.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 22moomoo

No i was asking a friend of mine who is based in balbriggan station. Apparently a west dublin based gang were involved in some sort of deal. ~a dingy came up the river for a meet in greenhills. Apparently some of the nuns there foiled the gang and contacted drogheda gardai. The helicopter was there to oversee the resulting garda raid.

Advertisement