Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do ye leave your modems on all the time?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

squared wrote: »
    Have to keep mine plugged in. Without it i wouldn't have any phone service!
    same here, along with any other ntl users with their phone service.

not to mention that if I only turned it off when it wasn't doing anything, it would still be on 24/7 cos it's always doing *something*. :)

there's also at least one pc on 24/7 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

watty wrote: »
    No, the ISP can do that if they need.

Ours is only off when the UPS dies and generator not up.

I have a mail server (only our own email, but with forwarding) and two phone lines (one Fax) running on the modem. We have no physical phone lines (saves a lot!) so have to have it running.

Family members away from home use the VPN. Allows secure use of email and web via public WiFi etc
    I dont have a UPS, but fortuneatly power-failures are a rare occurrance.. and the equipment I have doesnt seem to mind brief interruptions. Im looking for an Online UPS that will give me about an hour or two of runtime though.

I also have my own mail server but also an IRCd and local DNS server (far better than openDNS), the machine is online all the time, along with my modem and switches.

I'll probably convince the parents to dump the phone line and transfer it to UPC, the infrastructure is already in place, and they are cheaper than all the other providers.

Advertisement