Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iarnrod Eireann plans DART extension to Inchicore

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭strassenwolf

The rail interconnector is another major flagship Transport 21 project. Once in place (by 2015 at the latest) it will quadruple the numbers of rail users on the network from 25 million per year to 100 million and will fully integrate the rail network in the GDA. In order to expedite the delivery of this vital project I recently asked Irish Rail to engage with the PPP community with a view to building the tunnel section of this project. Given the very positive experiences that the NRA has enjoyed in its partnerships with private construction companies on road building projects I have no doubt that the Interconnector project will similarly benefit from the involvement of the PPP community. I look forward to rapid progress on this project in the near future

So, thus far I was only aware that we had the gay community and the travelling community in our midst.

Now, apparently, we have the PPP community as well.

Before I say anything out of line, could some kind poster let me know what offends the PPP "community", and what we can and can't say about them.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,531 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Seeing as the PPP community are mostly bankers; it appears that suggesting you'll take their pensions off them offends them greatly...

I'll go back to one of my other community niches now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Before I say anything out of line, could some kind poster let me know what offends the PPP "community", and what we can and can't say about them.:D

Hard to say strassenwolf , Ihatewallies objects to everything that everybody says all the time . Be careful out there .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Not really. It integrates with Luas and Busaras via the Point Luas Line and Hueston Red Line and if the Luas BX line is ever built that's an option too.

Connolly I think will be downgraded to just a DART/Suburban station in time and I would not be surprised if the Enterprise/Sligo services terminates at Pearse when the DART Underground is built.

Not really possible, since two of the three terminal platforms that existed in Pearse are now closed permanently (filled in - Platforms 3 and 5) and the remaining one (Platform 4) is in no state to host services at present. Even if they were still there, they all face southbound so trains would have to reverse out if they were using them to go to Sligo or Belfast.

You would not be able to leave an Enterprise train sitting in Platforms 1 or 2 at Pearse for the amount of time typically allowed for boarding. It would mean the DART line through Pearse would be blocked for half an hour. Wheras Connolly has four terminal platforms you can leave trains sitting in without blocking the DART line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but I read in today's Sunday Tribune that the DART is being extended to Drogheda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but I read in today's Sunday Tribune that the DART is being extended to Drogheda.

From the Sunday Tribune:
    Dart line to connect Drogheda with Dublin under Transport 21
    Ken Griffin

dart008593_display.jpg
    Drogheda: "much more sense"

THE Dart looks set to arrive in Drogheda after the government decided to extend Iarnród Éireann's Northern Line electrification project to the Co Louth town.

The move is the second major change to the government's plans for the Dublin commuter rail network under Transport 21 confirmed in the run-up to June's local elections.

Last week, transport minister Noel Dempsey announc ed the proposed Dart under ground tunnel, which was originally meant to run between Heuston and Docklands stations, was to be extended westwards to Inchicore.

Under the government's original plans, Balbriggan was to be the northern terminus of the new Dart line running to Hazelhatch, Co Kildare.

Although Iarnród Éireann has long held ambitions to extend the Dart to Drogheda, the government had previously refused to sanction funding for the project.

But the government has now decided to allow the company to extend the electrification project by a further 10 miles to encompass Drogheda.

"The line will be electrified to Drogheda and the town will be a Dart terminus," said an Iarnród Éireann spokes man. "We also plan to partially convert the current commuter railcar depot in Drogheda into a Dart depot."

Drogheda-based TD Fergus O'Dowd, who has mounted a long-running campaign to get the Dart extended to the town, said the news was fantastic. "Drogheda has really become a suburb of Dublin in recent years and the Dart's arrival should improve transport links between the two towns," he said.

The move has also been welcomed by rail passenger representatives who believe the extension will add little to the overall cost of the project as it removes the need to build new terminus facilities at Balbriggan.

"Balbriggan was a far from ideal choice for a terminus due to the lack of land available. Drogheda makes much more sense," said Mark Gleeson of Rail Users Ireland.

Gleeson said the move would necessitate a review of the Dublin region's fares structure. Currently, a train ticket from Balbriggan to Dublin costs €4.30 whereas the equivalent fare from Drogheda is €13.50.

April 12, 2009

http://www.tribune.ie/news/home-news...blin-under-tr/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Nostradamus

icdg wrote: »
    Not really possible, since two of the three terminal platforms that existed in Pearse are now closed permanently (filled in - Platforms 3 and 5) and the remaining one (Platform 4) is in no state to host services at present. Even if they were still there, they all face southbound so trains would have to reverse out if they were using them to go to Sligo or Belfast.

You would not be able to leave an Enterprise train sitting in Platforms 1 or 2 at Pearse for the amount of time typically allowed for boarding. It would mean the DART line through Pearse would be blocked for half an hour. Wheras Connolly has four terminal platforms you can leave trains sitting in without blocking the DART line.

Yes you are right. I am just having flashback to the the Rosslare train sitting in the middle of rush hour on Platform 4(?) at Connolly.

You could however combine the Sligo and Rosslare serivce into one and just have drivers change in Dublin. This would also avoid the train from Sligo crossing over and blocking the DART approaches into Connolly as they do with most services.

Run the Enterprise to Dun Leary?

It's all blowing smoke I know but I still see Connolly becoming a far less important station when the IC comes on stream. Another Tara Street really.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

They should reopen the old bay platforms at Pearse and terminate all of the Rosslare services there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Sharing Connolly-Dun Laoghaire with DARTs & 5 mad busy level crossings? To what advantage? What's wrong with Connolly?

From Connolly, Enterprise passengers can change onto DART, Luas, bus or shank's mare.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Yes you are right. I am just having flashback to the the Rosslare train sitting in the middle of rush hour on Platform 4(?) at Connolly.

You could however combine the Sligo and Rosslare serivce into one and just have drivers change in Dublin. This would also avoid the train from Sligo crossing over and blocking the DART approaches into Connolly as they do with most services.

It's all blowing smoke I know but I still see Connolly becoming a far less important station when the IC comes on stream. Another Tara Street really.
    connolly will always be the major station as trains are fuelled and stored there plus you have nearly 100 train drivers all based here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

BluntGuy wrote: »

This article is a typical example of how poor infrastructure planning happens in Ireland. No doubt sole local councillors and TDs will have the "DART to Dropheda" added to their manifesto to garner a view votes.

Should the DART (as we know it) be extended to Drogheda? In my view absolutely not. It is simply not a priority. A train is a train. It doesn't matter if it has a diesel or electric power. Do people in Drogheda think that they will get a better service because they have an electric train instead of a diesel one? Some politicans seem to think so.

Let's say they do from tomorrow. They will still have the same level of service to Dublin as capacity on the line is still restricted for a variety of reasons. If extra capacity was available it would be far better if diesel rail cars were put on it immediately. There is damn all difference in real terms between a DART and many of the Arrow trains in use once you're inside. People perceive that the DART has a higher service level then arrow but unfortunately that won't be delivered bu erecting overhead gantries.

Extending the DART service is as much a waste of resources as the (shorter) extension to Greystones was. If investment funds for the DART service are available they would be best served as follows:
    - Interconnector
    - Electrification of Maynooth line
    - Electrification of part of the Kildare line
    - Resignalling of the infamous Connolly stretch.

If the above was implemented they we would have a small well formed rapid rail system covering a reasonable part of Dublin using existing infrastructure. We would also see an increase in population density along these lines justifying their existence and reducing urban sprawl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Ah yes, FF target Louth in the upcoming elections. They must be cock sure in Kildare as the original plan had the DART terminating in Kildare town, not Hazelhatch. But no mention of that yet.

I note RUIs comments in the article fail to mention Kildare commuters lack of a DART service.What a pity. Of course if Drogheda is now getting it, then Kildare should get it. Its a free for all.:D

Hazelhatch station is about 100m from the Dublin border but inside Kildare . It ain't Kildare town of course , over 20 miles away .

• Registered Users Posts: 68,531 ✭✭✭✭L1011

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Ah yes, FF target Louth in the upcoming elections. They must be cock sure in Kildare as the original plan had the DART terminating in Kildare town, not Hazelhatch. But no mention of that yet.

I note RUIs comments in the article fail to mention Kildare commuters lack of a DART service.What a pity. Of course if Drogheda is now getting it, then Kildare should get it. Its a free for all.:D

I believe FF control Louth CC; but Kildare CC is already a lost cause - FG/LAB coalition and not a hope in hell of anything but being returned this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Nostradamus

Amazing to think how far the electric overhead is going, is there are plans for a Regional DART units for Drogheda services with nice seating?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,365 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I've been posting on this board for some time, and - now, I may have to go back over some things - but I'm fairly sure that the idea the interconnector would be built under a PPP scheme is a reasonably new one.
    No, its been like that for at least 5 years. I think strictly speaking the RPA were meant to build it.
    The "looping route" via St. Stephen's Green should make construction of the tunnel more expensive than a straightforward cross-city route, via the city centre.
    Well, lots of peopel want to head to that part of town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ukraine_orange

Would it cost less if it was a single bore tunnel with two tracks, like most of the Paris Metro?

I would have thought a twin bore would cost more and be more complicated, no? :confused:

Excuse my n00bness.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,365 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It will depend on the particular requirements of any particular project. For a very short tunnel, single bore may make sense. Tunnelling the Alps means you really, really want a separate tunnel in the event of an incident. In between, particular circumstances will dictate.

I asked if they would go with a single tunnel on Metro North and was told a single tunnel (possibly with a deviding wall), while slightly cheaper, would have had slight operation drawbacks, so they decided to go for two separate tunnels.

On a construction and operational risk level, two is better than one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ukraine_orange

Victor wrote: »
    It will depend on the particular requirements of any particular project. For a very short tunnel, single bore may make sense. Tunnelling the Alps means you really, really want a separate tunnel in the event of an incident. In between, particular circumstances will dictate.

I asked if they would go with a single tunnel on Metro North and was told a single tunnel (possibly with a deviding wall), while slightly cheaper, would have had slight operation drawbacks, so they decided to go for two separate tunnels.

On a construction and operational risk level, two is better than one.

That makes better sense than what I had going around in my head. Thanks. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

MYOB wrote: »
    I believe FF control Louth CC; but Kildare CC is already a lost cause - FG/LAB coalition and not a hope in hell of anything but being returned this summer.

Im nearly right so. Protect what you have and to hell with what you haven't. At the end of the day its a political move and thats what has always dogged the development of public transport.

• Advertisement

Dont forget that this northward push will allegedly bring the DART to Bettystown which is in County Meath , home of the Noel and home of many stressed out FFers looking to de Noel for de good news to canvass with :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

DWCommuter wrote: »

Of course Drogheda station is at best few 100 meters into Louth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dowlingm

The following two points may be related, or not.

Is 1.5kV DC, i.e. extension of the existing DART infrastructure, a reasonable mode to operate electric trains of the 160-240km/h class between Dublin, Cork and Belfast, and if not should we be looking at electrification through past Interconnector-KRP and north of Malahide being a different voltage using dual-system trains?

If high frequency suburban is envisaged along the coastal route all the way to Drogheda, should we be looking at a new direct line between Rush and Drogheda for Enterprise, engineered for >160km/h? Obviously this doesn't help the problems south of Rush but every little helps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

dowlingm wrote: »

Is 1.5kV DC, i.e. extension of the existing DART infrastructure, a reasonable mode to operate electric trains of the 160-240km/h class between Dublin, Cork and Belfast, and if not should we be looking at electrification through past Interconnector-KRP and north of Malahide being a different voltage using dual-system trains?

If high frequency suburban is envisaged along the coastal route all the way to Drogheda, should we be looking at a new direct line between Rush and Drogheda for Enterprise, engineered for >160km/h? Obviously this doesn't help the problems south of Rush but every little helps...

It's a good point. All things being equal and with funds available it would make more sense to look at electrification of intercity lines such as Dublin-Belfast and even Dublin-Cork. Rather than stretching a DART line for no apparent or strategic reason other than keeping a few voters happy. Here's your shiny new DART and oh, by the way, it will be running less frequently than your existing services. But, hey, it's the same as the ones that the Killiney people get!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

dowlingm wrote: »

The biggest problem with 1500 V is that such low voltage leads to large power transmission losses compared with say 22K AC. DC is good for short distance EMUs as there is no need for a heavy transformer to be carried on the the train.

It would be completely possible to have dual voltage intercity trains, with high voltage for long distance parts, and 1500 V on commuter lines. Personally, I think the bringing the DART to Drogheda is the right thing to do, so long as the current service patterns where Drogheda trains do not stop between Howth Junction and Conolly are maintained, as electrification is cheaper for high frequency operation, and provides better acceleration out of stations.

I would see 4-tracking of Conolly to Malahide and three tracking between Donabate and Balbriggan as necessary to maintain a good outer suburban service, and bring Enterprise times down to a reasonable 1.5 hours. I also think that electrification of the Cork line and bringing journey times down to 2 hours Dublin-Cork is the logical next step for Irish Intercity services.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I'd leave it at 1500Vdc and if we're really serious about electrification to Belfast we should widen. There is room (with some CPO) to widen to 4 track and electrify the whole thing at 25kVac. We have more hope of seeing Dublin-Cork electrified I reckon though.

Heuston - Cork is easy to electrify to 25kVac because the tracks for DART are already going to be separate from DART. This is no different from the S-Bahn Berlin which runs on different tracks to the IC trains because the third rail (Berlin is amongst a handful of German cities with 3rd rail S-Bahn) interferes with the loading gauge for IC trains. You'll see IC with 25kVac overhead running alongside S-Bahn with third rail but never both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭ilovegermany

Lets assume its 2016 and that the following miracles have occured:

1. The Interconnector is built as planned and after the Inchicore Station it seamlessly integrates into the 4 Track Kildare Route Project; and
    2. From Malahide to Drogheda the route is electrified and the DART is extended to Drogheda.

My question is: Will the above have a detrimental impact on journey times/service frequencies on Dublin - Belfast Enterprise services given that these services will be stuck between DART services from Drogheda to Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Lets assume its 2016 and that the following miracles have occured:

1. The Interconnector is built as planned and after the Inchicore Station it seamlessly integrates into the 4 Track Kildare Route Project; and
    2. From Malahide to Drogheda the route is electrified and the DART is extended to Drogheda.

My question is: Will the above have a detrimental impact on journey times/service frequencies on Dublin - Belfast Enterprise services given that these services will be stuck between DART services from Drogheda to Dublin?

Yes. As long as the northern line remains 2-track then there will be problems. Think of the difference between single lane road and dual carriageway.

Unfortunately the local brass of the time decided itd be dandy to develop lands right up to the edge of the tracks, almost the whole way along the route from Connolly-Howth Jn. Its a problem that doesn't have an easy or cheap solution, and a problem that the govt/IE appear to be doing nothing more than wishing away right now.

The truth is, the IC for all its benefits, will only make the northern line more congested, and delays are inevitable.

Has anyone told the denizens of North city and north county dublin that Noel Dempsey will flatten their houses to quad track and electrify the line to Drogheda. ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

murphaph wrote: »
    I'd leave it at 1500Vdc and if we're really serious about electrification to Belfast we should widen. There is room (with some CPO) to widen to 4 track and electrify the whole thing at 25kVac. We have more hope of seeing Dublin-Cork electrified I reckon though.

Heuston - Cork is easy to electrify to 25kVac because the tracks for DART are already going to be separate from DART. This is no different from the S-Bahn Berlin which runs on different tracks to the IC trains because the third rail (Berlin is amongst a handful of German cities with 3rd rail S-Bahn) interferes with the loading gauge for IC trains. You'll see IC with 25kVac overhead running alongside S-Bahn with third rail but never both.

The problem with that is that there will come a time when you will want DARTs to run on the fast tracks, for maintenance reasons, or even for rush hour express services. I think it would better to have dual voltage long distance trains, as they will have the bulky AC equipment already, so the DC is easier for them to manage, rather than having dual voltage DARTs.

Advertisement