Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iarnrod Eireann plans DART extension to Inchicore

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,365 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Heuston-Inchicore, while it might be slightly difficult work to do, isn't a particular problem - you just build a wall where the existing slope is under the dual carriageway.

Disruption would have been a problem and I'm told the slope from Christchurch-Guinness would have been too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭strassenwolf

Zebra3 wrote: »
    A northern alignment of the IC simply smacks of duplicating the Tallaght Luas line for me.

It might be cheaper, but doesn't seem to represent as good value as money as the planned IC.

Hmmm. I dunno.

The capacity of the interconnector is so vast that it is, in my opinion, irrelevant that the Red Line is where it is. The two lines really are not comparable.

In terms of deciding where the underground lines should go, the position of the LUAS lines should not be a serious factor. Tram lines are pretty easy to extend or alter, while it is not easy to move or alter underground tunnels or stations.

If you get it wrong with underground tunnels and stations, you get it wrong. If you get it wrong with tram lines, it is a lot easier to change.

The position of tram lines should probably weigh more heavily than the routes of buses, but - in terms of what is being dealt with in relation to the DART underground project and the metro - not a huge amount more.

There's also the speed factor. The Red Line is quite slow as it travels across the city. The interconnector will be quick.

That factor has got to affect a lot of passenger movements over the next century or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,870 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Hmmm. I dunno.

The capacity of the interconnector is so vast that it is, in my opinion, irrelevant that the Red Line is where it is. The two lines really are not comparable.

In terms of deciding where the underground lines should go, the position of the LUAS lines should not be a serious factor. Tram lines are pretty easy to extend or alter, while it is not easy to move or alter underground tunnels or stations.

If you get it wrong with underground tunnels and stations, you get it wrong. If you get it wrong with tram lines, it is a lot easier to change.

The position of tram lines should probably weigh more heavily than the routes of buses, but - in terms of what is being dealt with in relation to the DART underground project and the metro - not a huge amount more.

There's also the speed factor. The Red Line is quite slow as it travels across the city. The interconnector will be quick.

That factor has got to affect a lot of passenger movements over the next century or so.

So for your northern IC to get the go ahead, what do you think should happen with the Red Luas line from Heuston-Point Theathre? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭strassenwolf

Zebra3 wrote: »
    So for your northern IC to get the go ahead, what do you think should happen with the Red Luas line from Heuston-Point Theathre? :)

I think the extension of the Red Line to the Point is a great idea. This will improve the overall size of the network.

In my opinion, it's not something which should have been prioritised in the development of Dublin's transport network, but there were developers clamouring for it and - as we know - their opinions carry a lot of weight.

Given the volume of passengers which the interconnector and the metro will be able to accomodate, I'd be interested to hear why the extension of the Red Line to the Point is relevant to this thread.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

planning that far ahead will not be tolerated in this country. dont you know we only build the bare minimum:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭krugerrand

lads, do any of ye have an update on the progress of the dart underground project ? when is it likely to go ahead ? when will irish rail be applying for the railway order ? last i heard they were going to apply towards the end of 2009. it's an excellent project and i'd hate to see it delayed. the inchicore dart station will be brilliant and a godsend to inchicore and it's environs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

krugerrand wrote: »
    lads, do any of ye have an update on the progress of the dart underground project ? when is it likely to go ahead ? when will irish rail be applying for the railway order ? last i heard they were going to apply towards the end of 2009. it's an excellent project and i'd hate to see it delayed. the inchicore dart station will be brilliant and a godsend to inchicore and it's environs.
    I agree, but there are NIMBY tossers in your area who can't see beyond the temporary noise disruption to the obvious long term benefits. Did you already read IE's own spiel here? It has little by way of concrete timelines, just says the RO application will be made by the end of the year. You could email them direct to the project office, the address is on that page :)

murphaph wrote: »
    I agree, but there are NIMBY tossers in your area who can't see beyond the temporary noise disruption to the obvious long term benefits. Did you already read IE's own spiel here? It has little by way of concrete timelines, just says the RO application will be made by the end of the year. You could email them direct to the project office, the address is on that page :)

Thanks for that. An update: I've just heard from some other Inchicore residents that the Railway Order application will be made by CIE towards the end of Q1 2010. The sooner the better we say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

I couldn't find mention of this on the forum before but has anyone seen this Irish Rail promo video for the Dart Underground?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_M6JyxNnDY

Also, the schematic of the completed rail and tram network in Dublin looks interesting, anyone know where this is available to view somewhere other than glimpses of it on this video?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Do a freeze frame at 1:13. The current Irish Rail network is larger than we thought!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dowlingm

murphaph wrote: »
    I agree, but there are NIMBY tossers in your area who can't see beyond the temporary noise disruption
    The problem is that sometimes (sometimes mind!) the tossers have a point.

http://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/doc.php?did=2272&lang=eng
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRvFLVe9_bw

There are less intrusive ways to build and get the same result, and if Irish Rail doesn't want to be tied up in legal sh!te they should do them from day 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

dowlingm wrote: »
    Do a freeze frame at 1:13. The current Irish Rail network is larger than we thought!

I counted seven closed railway lines - including the stub of the Waterford to Mallow line! :eek:

Typical CIE accuracy. :D

dowlingm wrote: »
    Thats the "everything" map.

Slice wrote: »
    Also, the schematic of the completed rail and tram network in Dublin looks interesting, anyone know where this is available to view somewhere other than glimpses of it on this video?
    Actually, vague and amateurish, see http://irishrail.ie/projects/pdf/DartUnderGround/3b Schematic Transport Network.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

I think it looks pretty good - it just needs polishing up a little

Now there's gonna be a Luas station beside the Inchicore Dart station. Good example of joined up thinking. Will be a godsend to us in Inchicore

Change to proposed Lucan Luas line route planned
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055895623

Luas Lucan: Proposed route change for interchange at Inchicore
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055890121

Note to Mods: Perhaps two above threads be merged with this one.

There's a discussion taking place about the Inchciore Dart and Luas stations at www.inchicore.info - It's a good forum to explain to the locals of inchicore the positive benefits of the dart underground station and new luas F1-line station for inchicore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

krugerrand wrote: »
    There's a discussion taking place about the Inchciore Dart and Luas stations at www.inchicore.info - It's a good forum to explain to the locals of inchicore the positive benefits of the dart underground station and new luas F1-line station for inchicore.

You sound like an IE spin doctor with a really poor grasp of peoples intelligence. It is wholely inappropriate to suggest that we bang on over to another forum to promote anything. While the locals in Inchicore may not be up to speed on the minute details of the interconnector, who are you to suggest that we head over to "explain" things to them.

Well?

Relax bud. I'm not affiliated in any way with cie. So there. I happen to be one of the inchicore locals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I don't know why everybody is still get so worked up about this project - it will never happen. CIE/IE can crap on all they like about it in the media and waste more money on planning apps etc., there is no money, this country is bereft of life and what little money is left would be better spent on other things than CIE.

• Advertisement

I don't know why everybody is still get so worked up about this project - it will never happen. CIE/IE can crap on all they like about it in the media and waste more money on planning apps etc., there is no money, this country is bereft of life and what little money is left would be better spent on other things than CIE a mass transit system for Dublin.
    Like what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

Like replacing CIE, or getting the finger out and rewriting the constitution to allow for a system of government not cripplingly tied to exclusively local issues which prevents ministers being chosen from the ranks of people with real competence in their field.

It has to be said, I'm pro-interconnector, but there are plenty of things we could spend money on at the moment.

Stonewolf wrote: »
    Like replacing CIE, or getting the finger out and rewriting the constitution to allow for a system of government not cripplingly tied to exclusively local issues which prevents ministers being chosen from the ranks of people with real competence in their field.

It has to be said, I'm pro-interconnector, but there are plenty of things we could spend money on at the moment.
    As long as it's not a case of "let's not borrow the money for the Interconnector because we have (higher than UK) public sector salaries to pay" a la the 1980's.

I am all for political reform, but that shouldn't actually cost money, rather save it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

We'd have far more monetary capacity for this and other capital projects if the money wasn't being piledriven into dead banks.

My hopes for seeing this project delivered this side of 2020 are fading fast though. The pushback to 2018 was expected, but I fear it could be the start of many.

FG don't offer much hope either. Enda said he planned to continue the WRC, but not Metro North. I presume he'd only too happily extend that stance to the Interconnector as well. Makes sense I guess, gotta grab that sizeable portion of FG anti-pale votes.

In short, I fear Dublin is going to get screwed yet again. But we'll see what happens and hope for the best.

Advertisement