Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*PAYPAL*PAYPAL*PAYPAL - HERE ONLY

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Only wrote: »
    I thought they might be fakes but how would I know for sure?
    if they are too cheap to be true they are probably fakes, esp. if he has lots on sale as buyitnows. Post a link to the auction or another auction he has. The usual giveaway is that they are region free, they sometimes have regions listed on the box but when you stick it in a PC and open software like dvd-decrypter it will list if it has region coding on it. I am not sure what proof paypal would need.

I have got a fake dvd before on ebay, TBH I was pretty sure it was going to be fake, it is often not worth the hassle to return, esp. if you can make a copy that works.

Chinese fakes often have spelling mistakes on them, I have heard these could even be deliberate, I think some law allows them to make fakes if there are 6 differences or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Only

rubadub wrote: »
    if they are too cheap to be true they are probably fakes, esp. if he has lots on sale as buyitnows. Post a link to the auction or another auction he has. The usual giveaway is that they are region free, they sometimes have regions listed on the box but when you stick it in a PC and open software like dvd-decrypter it will list if it has region coding on it. I am not sure what proof paypal would need.

I have got a fake dvd before on ebay, TBH I was pretty sure it was going to be fake, it is often not worth the hassle to return, esp. if you can make a copy that works.

Chinese fakes often have spelling mistakes on them, I have heard these could even be deliberate, I think some law allows them to make fakes if there are 6 differences or something.

The link to the auction is this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260501014282&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
    I'm not very good on PCs so apologies for the silly qquestions but ... how (or can I??) copy a dvd with on my PC with only one drive where I can put in a disc (my old PC had two and I could do it then :o ). Also, if I copied it would it not also stick?
    ... Sorry, probably very silly questions:o
    They are labeled NTSC by the way
    I really appreciate your help!

Only wrote: »
    I would be pretty sure its fake, the low price and the fact it is Disney, and it being region free is the giveaway. Disney are very popular fakes (the fake I got was a disney and ebay is littered with them). I think disney have a wide appeal and they also rarely seem to be on offer (i.e. genuine ones).

Found this just now. http://hubpages.com/hub/baby-Einstein-
    If you do want to buy it checkout the ISBN# 0-7888-5689-8 to make sure it's not a fake. A lot of bootleg copies around!! This set selld between $50 and $100, the estimated worth is around $400. Amazon and e-bay are good places to pick it up. I hope those of you that do, enjoy the product as much as me :)

The problem with disks is usually the poor quality of the disc, not the data on it, so if a good drive can read the data then it can replicate the data onto a good disk makes it readable again. Many fakes are also only on single layer discs since they are cheaper. I was in China and the fake sellers had 2 prices, one for dual layer and one for single. But it is illegal to be making copies!

I would be pretty sure its fake, the low price and the fact it is Disney, and it being region free is the giveaway. Disney are very popular fakes (the fake I got was a disney and ebay is littered with them). I think disney have a wide appeal and they also rarely seem to be on offer (i.e. genuine ones).

Found this just now. http://hubpages.com/hub/baby-Einstein-

The problem with disks is usually the poor quality of the disc, not the data on it, so if a good drive can read the data then it can replicate the data onto a good disk makes it readable again. Many fakes are also only on single layer discs since they are cheaper. I was in China and the fake sellers had 2 prices, one for dual layer and one for single. But it is illegal to be making copies!

Thanks rubadub!

One last question please - the 2nd e-mail I sent to the seller doesn't seem to have gone through - should I e-mail them again requesting a refund and stating that I believe the dvds are fakes or do I just open a dispute with ebay / paypal? ... No doubt if I e-mail saying I think they are fakes he will deny it ... not sure which way to go about this?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Resend the email, give him a day to respond, then start the dispute. Give that a couple of days before you escalate to a claim, if that becomes necessary.

• Advertisement

I e-mailed the seller (very nicely) and stated that I had checked the dvds and "believe they are not originals" and requested a refund. I did not get a reply but just now have received a full refund to my Paypal account ... yaaaayyyyy!!! ... Wouldn't have known I neednt send the dvds back without all your help - THANK YOU!!!!!

Nice one! he must be fearing the risk of negative feedback outweighs the price of the DVDs.

Nice one! he must be fearing the risk of negative feedback outweighs the price of the DVDs.

The thing is, I had already left positive feedback! ... Guess he hadn't checked ... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,521 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

jebus I hate ****ing paypal support

what ever happened to Irish paypal customer service agents ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

i dont think they ever had one did they?,i remember before speaking to a french guy before over it,all companies do it,i remember ringing bosch "ireland" to get a warrenty activated on a washing machine,to which they had to switch me over to bosch england..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

How do you set up paypal to pay from your bank account if youve insufficient funds in your paypal account? I have it linked up to my bank account (AIB) but when I tried to make a purchase on a website, it kept asking me to link a credit card. No option to pay from bank cc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

Headshot wrote: »
    jebus I hate ****ing paypal support

what ever happened to Irish paypal customer service agents ?
    Fred83 wrote: »
    i dont think they ever had one did they?,i remember before speaking to a french guy before over it,all companies do it,i remember ringing bosch "ireland" to get a warrenty activated on a washing machine,to which they had to switch me over to bosch england..

I used to work for paypal many moons ago. still a few people there alright
    megcork wrote: »
    How do you set up paypal to pay from your bank account if youve insufficient funds in your paypal account? I have it linked up to my bank account (AIB) but when I tried to make a purchase on a website, it kept asking me to link a credit card. No option to pay from bank cc?

Irish banks are not setup to allow you to transfer funds like that... like nearly the rest of the world !
    you can only use a credit card (or one of those prepaid credit cards like 3v).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

Can paypal take money from your bank account if a buyer opens/wins a dispute and there is no money in your paypal account? Paypal website says no but I'm not so certain. I'm selling an expensive item and worried this might happen some day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Elessar wrote: »
    Can paypal take money from your bank account if a buyer opens/wins a dispute and there is no money in your paypal account? Paypal website says no but I'm not so certain. I'm selling an expensive item and worried this might happen some day.

Can't be 100% sure myself but check the recent eBay feedback posts as you'll see that its possible for your money to be put on hold for 21 days. Looks like this can be done randomly to accounts with under 100 positive feedback to help prevent fraud?

I think its a bit of rare but this thread has the info I was on about.

Elessar wrote: »

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

Cant take money from your Bank Account (due to the whole irish banks not allowing us to take money like that)

quick point...

They can put your paypal account into a negative balance, and any future funds you get into the account will go against that negative balance. If you pay for something with your credit card the negative balance will be charged as well (so if you have a negative balance for 400 euro, and you buy something using that account for 2 euro then you credit card gets charged 402 euro... nice ?... its in the terms and cond that we signed :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭Higgsy

Hi,

I work in Northern Ireland and reside in the Republic of Ireland. This seems to be causing me an issue. I tried to register my Visa Debit card on paypal today, but it will not accept the address and hence the card. I typed the address in word for word as it is stated on my credit card statement.

Has anyone else experience this? Is there a way around this?

I would appreciate any help or advise, Christmas shopping to do and I am allergic to shops

** Sorry I just noticed the sticky, this should be in the boards.ie > Biz > Consumer > Online Buying & Auctions group ***

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

Giant favour from trusting stranger needed

basically im looking for someone to put €10 into my account, trusting me to give it straight back to them

let me explain..!

I have a paypal account with €0 in it
    I have a paddypower account with €60 in it

I want to put the 60 into my paypal account but I need to register my paypal account with paddypower, to do that I have to deposit €10 from paypal into paddypower

paypal account: [email]edit[/email]

EDIT: Samaratin found!

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

Hi guys, I don't know if anyone here can help me out of this disaster, but I haven't really got any other options left.

My girlfriend bought an iPhone from a seller on eBay.de a month ago. I checked out the buyer before she did and he had good feedback, including a positive response from an iPhone buyer a week before so she went ahead. She paid straight away and he left positive feedback for her, only to vanish off eBay the next day.

She contacted eBay who sent her to PayPal, they said to open a dispute but she felt that he might still send it and gave him a couple of days before opening one. He then had 10 days to respond and on the last day he sent PayPal a tracking number. This morning a package arrived while she was at work so her sister signed for it. Inside the package was two old German comic books (worth €2.50 when they were new).

She rang PayPal and they told her that he was probably going to win the claim as she received a package from him and they can't prove it wasn't a phone. We went to the Gardai who can't do anything because it's a civil matter.

What I want to know is, is there any way we could convince PayPal that he is obviously scamming her. I don't understand how they can look at the facts and favor his version of events.

How was the PayPal payment funded? If it was by credit card then they are your next port of call as they can by pass PayPal completly and refund your money by taking back via a charge back from PayPal.

• Advertisement

Payment was with a 3V card. Can they take money back from PayPal the same as a credit card?

mooman wrote: »
    Payment was with a 3V card. Can they take money back from PayPal the same as a credit card?

Sorry outside my area of expertise, hopefully someone else can answer if you can get a chargeback on a 3V card but I'd be supprised if you could.

In another thread it was suggested that you call PayPal on 01 4369001 and try and talk to them.

You'll get no help from 3V. If Paypal deny your claim, you'll lose the money.

ttm wrote: »
    Sorry outside my area of expertise, hopefully someone else can answer if you can get a chargeback on a 3V card but I'd be supprised if you could.

In another thread it was suggested that you call PayPal on 01 4369001 and try and talk to them.

Thanks for that number. Been onto all sorts except an Irish person today and their policies seem to be slightly different in the U.K.

jor el wrote: »
    You'll get no help from 3V. If Paypal deny your claim, you'll lose the money.

What I expected but nice to get conformation
    mooman wrote: »
    Thanks for that number. Been onto all sorts except an Irish person today and their policies seem to be slightly different in the U.K.

Please let us know how you get on, just don't end up with a bigger phone bill than the PayPal amount ;)

You started off with the dispute being Item Not Recieved (INR) and afaik PayPal will only allow one dispute for each item so now thats been settled with the seller sending you something even though its not the correct item the dispute is settled and you can't now open a second dispute for Significantly Not As Described (SNAD)

This would suggest that the seller "played" you and wanted you to open a INR dispute so he could get away with a SNAD?

Correct me anyone if I'm wrong about PayPal only allowing one dispute?

What I expected but nice to get conformation

Please let us know how you get on, just don't end up with a bigger phone bill than the PayPal amount ;)

You started off with the dispute being Item Not Recieved (INR) and afaik PayPal will only allow one dispute for each item so now thats been settled with the seller sending you something even though its not the correct item the dispute is settled and you can't now open a second dispute for Significantly Not As Described (SNAD)

This would suggest that the seller "played" you and wanted you to open a INR dispute so he could get away with a SNAD?

Thats the story in a nutshell so now we're down €500 with nothing to show for it. I'll let ya know how it goes anyway hopefully there's some room for maneuver with their rules.

You're not wrong. Once a dispute is ended, it cannot be re-opened, and you cannot start a new dispute on the same transaction.

Thread merged with Paypal megathread.

All Paypal questions are to be addressed in this thread from now on.

Sorry but I think this one thread idea is Sh1te!

Too much information in one thread and questions get lost and not answered if more than than a couple come it at the same time.

Edit> Now a PayPay sub forum might not be a bad idea?

The one thread is to stop there being 10 threads on the front page all asking the same thing, as happened the day I started this thread.

• Advertisement

You're not wrong. Once a dispute is ended, it cannot be re-opened, and you cannot start a new dispute on the same transaction.

Thread merged with Paypal megathread.
    Anyone know why this is? It seems to me like a massive loophole that really needs to be closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement