Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*PAYPAL*PAYPAL*PAYPAL - HERE ONLY

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Cheers for the replies.

Another Q have for you guys. Right due to circumstances I won't be able to sign up to PayPal till some time next week. Anyway, was going to ask one of my parents if I could set up an A/C for them and use it. It would only be temporary.

So with that said, would I be able to delete their A/C once I've paid and received for whatever goods I need

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Appleguy

Right quick question.

I buy a lot using paypal but have never been the seller.

Ok so i sold something and have been paid for it. Got an email with the Payment Review Outcome: Cleared and Ok to ship.

In paypal it says the transaction is completed. Can i get stung this stage if i send off the item? Should i wait until the money is in my bank account before i send it or what?

The buyer says their address is confirmed but under the 'seller protection' thing it says that seller protection is 'Not eligible". If the address is confirmed i don't see why this is so?

Could it be because the shipping address appears to be different from the buyers address and only the home address is confirmed.

Thanks for your help! Very much appreciated

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Propane Nightmare

Hey qiuick question; Just checked my email there and randomly out of the blue received an email for $150.00 from someone from USA. It was for some painting and the websites name is there also. Im not new to paypal, so went to paypal.ie and logged in, and the money actually was there, completed and all.

Just wondering can they claim it back or is it just some luck on my part? :D

What happens if I withdraw the money to my bank account? Can the person who clearly accidentely sent me the money claim it back?

Can anybody answer my above query?

Propane nightmare:
    If it was paid by credit card they can claim it back up to 60 days later using a chargeback.

If you still have it there in three months you can take it out. Otherwise i wouldn't risk it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Appleguy wrote: »
    The buyer says their address is confirmed but under the 'seller protection' thing it says that seller protection is 'Not eligible". If the address is confirmed i don't see why this is so?

There are a number of reasons why seller protection may not apply. Quite simply put, a seller is never really protected at all.
    Appleguy wrote: »
    Could it be because the shipping address appears to be different from the buyers address and only the home address is confirmed.

Yes, I wouldn't ship it to an address different to the home address.
    What happens if I withdraw the money to my bank account? Can the person who clearly accidentely sent me the money claim it back?

This sounds like the start of a scam. I'd contact Paypal about it. The way it might work is you'd contact the sender to find out what's happening. They explain the mistake and ask you to return the money by Western Union, or some other means. Then when the real account holder finds out what's happened, they get the money transfer reversed, leaving you out of pocket. This is just a guess, but it fits with what you've said so far.

Do not try to keep the money.

• Advertisement

jor el wrote: »

Yes, I wouldn't ship it to an address different to the home address.

It appears to be the sellers work address. If i could call and ask to speak to him and assure he works here would this be conformation enough?

If i send it and they do a chargeback surerly if i can prove i sent it on such a date i will get to keep the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Paid by Paypal for item.

Buyers address not confirmed.

Am i covered so long as i wait until the money is transferred into my bank account?

Cant be touched/taken back then can it?

Thank you paypal genius!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

Paid by Paypal for item.

Buyers address not confirmed.

Am i covered so long as i wait until the money is transferred into my bank account?

Cant be touched/taken back then can it?

Thank you paypal genius!

The money can not be taken back from your bank account.
    If something happens on the transaction and you loose the money (for example the buyer claims they didnt recieve the item and you can not produce a tracking number) Paypal will take the funds from your PayPal balance or put your account into negative balance if you have no funds there.
    the next time you make a purchase and pay the amount of your purchase and the amount you owe will be taken from your credit card.
    (I assume that this was an eBay sell, rather than transferring money directly (in which case there are different rules)... )

it would be wise to read through paypals help pages - start at https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/Marketing/securitycenter/sell/SellerProtection-outside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

samhail wrote: »
    (I assume that this was an eBay sell, rather than transferring money directly (in which case there are different rules)... )

No it wasn't ebay it was through an Irish site.

Well the transaction has gone through. I got the money in my account.

Whats the safest way to proceed?

A) Issue a refund?

B) Send it via registered post with tracking number and print off proof of delivery when it arrives?

Would that cover my ass? Dont wanna get stung first time.

Would that cover my ass? Dont wanna get stung first time.

Absolutely nothing will cover you for an off-eBay Paypal transaction. Even on eBay it's dodgy enough.

Withdraw the money as soon as you can, and be prepared to walk away from Paypal for good if anything does go wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Is it possible to transfer funds from AIB Maestro/Laser card ---> Paypal account? If so how do I go about this. Thanks.

Not possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭I Drink It Up!

Just wanted to say that the "top-up" facility seems to be working smoothly, with the money being transferred in around 3-5 working days, with no hitches so far. I have done 3 transactions of around €500 in total, no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

I got a refund today through paypal, but it says that my paypal account balance is still 0. Why is this? I haven't used paypal to buy anything since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Did it get refunded directly to your credit/debit card. It happened to me a couple of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭I Drink It Up!

I got a refund today through paypal, but it says that my paypal account balance is still 0. Why is this? I haven't used paypal to buy anything since then.

It is most likely go onto the card that your paypal account is linked to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

If you paid it from your credit card when you made the initial purchase then it will automatically go back to your credit card.
    You should be able to confirm this when you log in and see the date it was refunded (as per the email) and see the refunded to credit card line

This sounds like the start of a scam. I'd contact Paypal about it. The way it might work is you'd contact the sender to find out what's happening. They explain the mistake and ask you to return the money by Western Union, or some other means. Then when the real account holder finds out what's happened, they get the money transfer reversed, leaving you out of pocket. This is just a guess, but it fits with what you've said so far.

Do not try to keep the money.
    Well they started a dispute saying Unauthorized use of account, and tried to get the money back and paypal declined it and sent me a big email saying that there was no sign of fraudulent use of the account, so the money is still in my account... ive just left it there since then.

But today I got ANOTHER payment of £18 into my account, details being "
    Print a Ribbon Purchase".
    Why is this happening to m account? Is it best I change my email or something? I never put my email out to dodgy sites though....
    Can they access my ebay or bank account by any chance by doing this? Even so I have little money in my bank account but still. Im going to again just leave the money there and see what happens :confused:

Also, if say in a few weeks the money is still there and they havnt tried to take it back, can I withdraw it to my bank account, and then cancel my paypal account completely, and they wouldnt be able to chargeback the money or what?

Can they access my ebay or bank account by any chance by doing this?

No.
    Also, if say in a few weeks the money is still there and they havnt tried to take it back, can I withdraw it to my bank account, and then cancel my paypal account completely, and they wouldnt be able to chargeback the money or what?

You can withdraw it now if you wanted to.

No.

You can withdraw it now if you wanted to.
    I just got another of £27??!! What the feck like...:confused:

If i withdraw the money and cancel my account can they claim it back or do anything then? Im guessing this is a scam but im not sure what to do, I might just leave the money in this account and set up a new one and come back to it in a few weeks.

• Advertisement

Change the email address on the account anyway, as this is not right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

I just got another of £27??!! What the feck like...:confused:

If i withdraw the money and cancel my account can they claim it back or do anything then? Im guessing this is a scam but im not sure what to do, I might just leave the money in this account and set up a new one and come back to it in a few weeks.

Any chance your email address is similar to one used by a business? Or has someone posted the wrong payment address on a website. Try googling your own email address and see what google knows about you.

The payments could however be made by someone who is trying to prove fraudulent activity to get their money back?

ttm wrote: »
    Any chance your email address is similar to one used by a business? Or has someone posted the wrong payment address on a website. Try googling your own email address and see what google knows about you.

The payments could however be made by someone who is trying to prove fraudulent activity to get their money back?
    I googled my email and nothing came up. How can they scam me, remember I dont have a credit card attached to my paypal, only my bank account, just so I know.

Also, does anyone know, If I withdraw the money to my bank account and I cancel my paypal account completely, can they get the money back then or try to scam me then or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Well its always worth ruling out the obvious just in case.

Were all the payments from the same or different addresses?

Anyone on eBay you've p1ssed off recently?

If they are all from the same address maybe they are trying to prove that there are have been fraudulent payments from that address so they can get the money back.

Its always possible that its a scam gone wrong and they are trying to get some money back anyway they can.

But as already said change the email address associated with your PayPal account.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

okay i bought an iphone here on adverts for 420 euro....i paid through paypal last week but since i paid the seller has not contacted me since repeat pms and it shows they were logged in since i have repeatedly tried to get into contact and now im freaked out will paypal refund me the money if it comess to that or unless they have it in their account is it gone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Gang of Gin

FearDark wrote: »
    Is it possible to transfer funds from AIB Maestro/Laser card ---> Paypal account? If so how do I go about this. Thanks.

I don't think you can. But what I was also interested in was should one go about transferring funds from an AIB account to Paypal, how much the transaction might cost? Would anyone be able to help out on this one as well?

ttm wrote: »
    Well its always worth ruling out the obvious just in case.

Were all the payments from the same or different addresses?

Anyone on eBay you've p1ssed off recently?

If they are all from the same address maybe they are trying to prove that there are have been fraudulent payments from that address so they can get the money back.

Its always possible that its a scam gone wrong and they are trying to get some money back anyway they can.

But as already said change the email address associated with your PayPal account.
    All from different addresses, but the last 4 or 5 payments have all had this email in the details: Item title: ProVitaminAs.com Purchase

No one I can recall really, only person I slightly pissed off was a guy who bought a game off me, but he had 2000+ feedback, he was annoyed that a charged about an extra Euro for postage, but he didn't take into account of packaging :rolleyes:

I've just changed the email and removed the one that was on it. If the payments STILL keep coming what does that prove? Does that mean someone is hacked into my account?

I don't really get what you mean when you said they could be trying to get the money back any way they can. They're sending me money so how could they be making money if its a scam or am I missing something?

I put it up on the ebay forums and they said that someone recently had the same thing happen to them, and that they think its a mistake, and that they don't think its a scam. Another person said I shouldn't do anything and just leave the money there and see what happens.

Anyone ever come across anything like this?

You're receiving payments, no one has hacked your account.

There's something dodgy going on, but I'm not sure what. There are many scams that are run on Paypal, but most don't involve sending money to people out of the blue. Any that do involve you receiving money, will have been funded from a stolen card or hacked account, and they'll ask for the money back by Western Union or something like that.

Paypal can't take the money back from you if you withdraw it, but they could pursue you for it, possibly by using the courts (though unlikely if it's small amounts).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I don't think you can. But what I was also interested in was should one go about transferring funds from an AIB account to Paypal, how much the transaction might cost? Would anyone be able to help out on this one as well?

It didn't cost me anything when transferring from AIB to PayPal. I used one of the kiosks inside the bank to transfer the money. I just sent more using internet banking so hopefully there's no charge there either.

• Advertisement

Larkin91 wrote: »
    It didn't cost me anything when transferring from AIB to PayPal. I used one of the kiosks inside the bank to transfer the money. I just sent more using internet banking so hopefully there's no charge there either.

There is no charge for topping up your Paypal account using the bank transfer method. There will still be a charge to the recipient of the money though, as per Paypal's normal charges.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement