Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotels and carparks

Options
  • 06-04-2009 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭

I have been looking at places to stay near dublin airport as i have to catch an early flight. Every single hotel that's near the airport charges you for parking your car WHILE staying there. Surely as a guest the night you are staying there should be free. I understand charging someone for the another nights you are out of the country but bloody hell 7.50euro per night. Its a bit much, another case of rip off ireland.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It's up to the hotel to decide whether they include parking or not. This is the same for hotels anywhere in the country, some give free parking, others charge.

http://www.dublinairport.com/ is 4.50 a day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

The flip side of your argument it is that why should I who go there with out a car pay for your carparking space? Lets face it land at a airport is always going to be at a premium.

Most hotels will charge extra for car park and breakfeast these days. People will usually only look at room price and not total price (exactly as with Ryanair) and the competitors had to follow suit when the trend started.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭country_gurl

I'm not asking for others to pay for the parking price. I just think its ridiclous when you are staying there that it's not for free. To get there i need a car. But i suppose people pay for it so they are going to charge it :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'm not asking for others to pay for the parking price. I just think its ridiclous when you are staying there that it's not for free. To get there i need a car. But i suppose people pay for it so they are going to charge it :rolleyes:
    You are asking the rest to pay for it, do you think the land for the car park is free? Even if they build it under the hotel that is extra maintaence and the cost of setting it up in the first place. All of that ties into the room price, the price I pay for staying at the hotel one night with or with out a car; hence, why should I pay for your car park?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I agree wholeheartedly with the op, if you stay a night in the hotel then breakfast should be free!!!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

there is a certain dublin hotel who charges for their car park, i have no problem paying when i am leaving my car there and flying out of the country but heading there one sunday for dinner and they wanted to charge me €2.00 an hour to park when i had my dinner.

i think not, i turned around and left.

same as cinema's who charge for their car park - i am not paying that, i just head off to a cinema/restuarant/Shopping Centre with free parking

you need to talk with your feet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Eireann

Days Inn doesnt charge you

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭country_gurl

i know that the car park land is expensive but why can all other hotels around the country offer free parking. I just think it should be included in the service, a perk or whatever. It doesn't need to be included in the price to stay at the hotel so then you wouldn't have to pay the car park fee for staying there without a car. And pink fluffy bunny i am talking with my feet cause i'm certainly not staying there! Nody we'll just have to agree to disagree.
    Thanks eireann looks like that will be my port of call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

i know that the car park land is expensive but why can all other hotels around the country offer free parking.

But all hotels don't give free parking, a lot do, but not all. It's up to the hotel to decide if they can incorporate the cost of the carpark into the hotel charges or not, or if they even want to.
    I just think it should be included in the service, a perk or whatever. It doesn't need to be included in the price to stay at the hotel so then you wouldn't have to pay the car park fee for staying there without a car.

If the hotel has to pay for the land, the building of the car park, and the maintenance, and not charge extra for it, then the cost will be included in everyone's hotel stay. It won't be itemised, but it will be charged to everyone who stas there, regardless of whether they park or not.

Since the charges are known before you pay, you can make an informed decision yourself as to whether you want to pay them or not, and whether to stay there or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I have been looking at places to stay near dublin airport as i have to catch an early flight. Every single hotel that's near the airport charges you for parking your car WHILE staying there. Surely as a guest the night you are staying there should be free. I understand charging someone for the another nights you are out of the country but bloody hell 7.50euro per night. Its a bit much, another case of rip off ireland.

Not really rip-off Ireland. A lot of hotels I came across in the US charged $20-30 per night for parking, roughly the same for some hotels in Europe. Admittedly, most of these were in downtown/airport areas, similar to the Bewleys hotel I guess.

At the end of the day, it's the hotels choice wheter or not to have free parking. If you don't like it, don't stay there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement