Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Not sure what i need

• 06-04-2009 10:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

I have attached a diagram of my living room.

Basically, my room is wired for six speakers, locations marked out on the diagram.

I would like to have my TV/DVD/Sky hooked up to the speakers so that I get "surround sound" effect. (It is an L-shaped room so could be difficult).

I would also like to be able to play cd's/mp3 and have the sound come through the speakers also. (Probs need a seperate music player for this)

So with this in mind, where do I start and what do I need to buy ? !!

At the mo, all I have is the TV, DVD player and skybox.

Any advice ?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

How about you move your TV to the top right of your diagram.
    From there you can wire up the sub, the centre and the front Left and Right directly to a surround sound box,
    then you could conisder having either both left back on one side and both right back on the other...
    or having a back left and right on both sides of the L, depending on how big the room is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

I am afraid that I am stuck with everything in the locations that they are now.

We have just changed the config of the room, which involved re-wiring the tv to its current location and also all the speaker wires come back to this point. We have just finished the coving so the wires are buried now never to come out again !!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Moving this to the Home Entertainment Forum.

Ritz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

jprender wrote: »
    I am afraid that I am stuck with everything in the locations that they are now.
    I'd ignore the speaker locations in the stub bit of the L.

Either just run a 5.1 setup around the tv location and the couch facing it and use the other speaker locations for a zone 2

or

get a sound bar for the location of the tv to avoid running speaker cables for a 5.1 layout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi JP.

The room layout is a tricky one for an A/V setup and if the speaker locations are fixed then you can only work with what you have.

I'm not sure of the room size, but most of the A/V amps will self-calibrate using the microphone setup, so if you were to use :

Speaker at TV - Centre
    Speaker left of TV - Front Left
    Speaker right of TV in corner - Front right
    Speaker left of straight setee - Rear left
    Speaker - Back right hand corner - Rear right.

Depending on the distances between these speakers, the amp should be able to allow for audio delays etc which will help balance out the sound.

You need an A/V receiver with mic setup (like Pioneer VSX818 or Denon AVR1509) as a minimum.

You need a 5.1 speaker pack or you can make up speaker packages using bookshelf speakers which are much better for stereo from CD etc.

Your TV, DVD and sky box will then connect into the receiver and you will get surround sound from all sources in either Dolby Digital or Pro Logic 2 modes.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Dave from Richer Sounds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Thanks for that Dave.

I plan on taking a trip into you guys soon to sort this out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi JP.

Look forward to seeing you.

If I'm not here when you call, speak to Matt or Jayson when you get here.

All the best

Dave

Advertisement