Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What girly stuff have you given up and what will be the last thing to go?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

Xiney wrote: »
    However, I am running out of my benefit "honey.... snap out of it!" scrub and I'm REALLY upset. I love that stuff - it's sooo good at exfoliating and yet it somehow softens as well. My skin is very difficult to deal with. And yet I just can't justify the price tag, which runs about what our weekly food budget is.

benefit website is wayyy cheaper than shops here even with shipping, check it out if you havent already ;)

I have vowed to not buy any more makeup till I use up the DRAWER full I have already :eek: I'm a wagon for sparkly eyeshadows/liners that I never bother using, must start using them again :o

Is it just me or is shopping not as appealing as it once was though? Like I don't really miss it, I sorta have enough stuff now :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Is it really crappy if I say nothing?

Am I the only one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭limericklady87

in college so am a broke student anyway but am still making some changes...yet i still seem to have no money!!:mad:

buying more own-brand stuff..to a certain extent but still wont buy the real cheap ass cosmetics.

eating less in college and more at home although this means im asting more time around the house watching crappy daytime tv

buying WAY less clothes..ie almost nothing. this is my biggest change and i dont like it one bit:( cant even seem to afford penneys these days

getting my highlights done in the student places for 40e as opposed to over 120!

generally buying less crap

bringing a sneaky naggin in my bag when heading out!:o

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,917 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

For me it was restaurant lunches/dinners with the girls. Now when we meet up we usually end up going to one another's houses, works out way cheaper. Another thing I gave up was getting my hair coloured professionally. As luck would have it, as soon as I did this, I started getting my first greys. FFS. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I don't really do girlie stuff much - I'm very much DIY.

I have more unopened make-up accumulated over the past few years, so no more of that until I've used some of it. I end up wearing the same few items all the time anyway.

The "big R" isn't really doing much to my standard of living. You don't really miss what you never had. I'm looking at some of the things other people are cutting out - takeaway coffee, buying lunch, expensive haircuts and colour - and I feel a bit sorry for them, because it's hard to give those things up when you're used to having them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CorkLady1983

cut out the take away coffees and fruit danishes...eat some food at work at lunch time which costs €1 per day...nice thing is though with all the gyming and no more eating of chocolate, lost about a stone in the last 6 months...

closed down my overdraft, switched my laser card over to regular card and cancelled my credit cards.. Lidl is now a great place to shop..

Go out about once a month at this stage - save a fortune and enjoy the night a lot better now as well I have to admit...:)

Drink water from the water cooler at work and no longer running out buying evian every five minutes.

will also be signing up at Toni and Guy colouring classes from now on and not getting my hair done at Peter Marks for €160 anymore...got the last batch of nice things from benefit in the states because there will be no more shopping....

em. . Nothing.

I have yet to give up anything.

I love having parents to live off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

em. . Nothing.

I have yet to give up anything.

I love having parents to live off.

im the same.
    i havent got my hair cut in about a year or so,dye it every 3/4 months and it only cost 8 euro because i sometimes only do the roots 16 for the whole head.

havent bought clothes much,1 dress this year and when i do shop its generally in pennys

dont eat out or get takeaways often,dont go to clubs so a night out would be to the pictures or going to a party only cost 15 euro max.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Didn't have to give up anything because we're not in R yet, but when we were moving to Australia and saving for a house I had to give up lots of things.

The hardest part was just not buying stuff generally because when you work, you feel like making a purchase helps you 'treat' yourself. That's the hardest bit, just not buying anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Definitely my eyebrow waxing.. Not giving that one up. 9euro well worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

NOt really a giver upper, more of a cut backer! Still get waxing done, but for me its more of a necessity then anything else, just get it done less often and try diy at home. Still have a take away once a week, but im not a make-up person or mags or anything. I think movies where more my weakness, xtra vision do great deals on dvd inc blue-ray! Been having an bought myself the matrix trilogy on blue ray the other day.. my god its special.

I think its important to not take all the nice things out of life, cuz if you do that, what is there left, but you do have to make cuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

Peared wrote: »

Am I the only one?

no i dont think so.

anything i wrote is just my general lifestyle at the moment, it hasnt particularly changed at all due to the R-word, not so far anyway & keeping my fingers crossed.

ive probably jinxed it all now.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

Xiney - I reckon your Benefit scrub should be your one thing you just don't give up! Maybe just save up for it so it's not a big lump out of your paycheck. I reckon you should at least have one thing..so if it really goes to sh!t then at least your skin will look AMAZING lol.

As for me, I'm not in Ireland but being a student I've generally given up most things! If I was there, earning what I was and working where I was I would probably cut ouuut...God, I don't know...oh, that's right. My hideously expensive, but amazing cuts and colours for my hair. That was my one thing that I got done. Have never been one for lots of makeup etc and have always used fairly cheap skin care products.

Hope you're all going ok over there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Gym membership, in better shape without it! Walking & running loads and taking up tag.
    Cut back on coffees, smoothies, lunches out. Was a devil for those. Also, mags, swap them more now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

My hairdresser comes to my house and its half the salon price... anyone in cork can pm me for her details! She is amzing.

That boots scrub is lovely and a good price too.

I have stopped waxing my legs but still get ,y underarms and bikini done. I buy all my beauty products online if i can or in duty free.

I have switched my shampoo to yes to carrots and find it excellent!!! the treatment is excellent!

I treat myself by actually having a pampewr night one night a week. Another tip is to get samples from make up counters!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

well the recession hit me nearly 4 years ago when i started college. i had to give up my sessions in peter mark. i soo miss that place. now i colour my hair myself and get a student discount when get the hair cut. never get waxed any bit of me so there was no loss there.. spoiling my godson to bits had to be careful on that one. living in crappy places but now moving into a penthouse apt with my OH when i get a job. :p driving a crappy 97 fiesta. was gong to get a newer car this year but decided against it.

that's it really for me folks

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

I used to go to the beautician every 5 weeks to get eyebrows tinted and waxed and eyelashes tinted - they are very very blonde!

I have a home eyelash/eyebrow dye kit now so I do them myself at home and I was surprised at how well it works out!

Bikini waxing is staying for the moment...I just can't bring myself to DIY!!

Peared wrote: »

Am I the only one?

If it makes you feel any better I'm spending more.
    Having deserted my hippy ways in favor of washing grooming.
    I'd rather do things at home though, as has been previously said that bit of time spent with yourself for yourself. It is oil for the soul.
    Besides the last time I went for an eyebrow shape at the beauticans I was left with one thick round brow and one thin archy. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I do most beauty things at home anyway so I don't get waxing, eyebrows, tan etc done so that isn't an issue. There's no way I'll ever give up my make up though. I buy less clothes but that's no harm, I have way too much crap that I never wear!

So not a lot really. I've always looked out for 2 for 1 deals etc so not much has changed for me.

Sinall wrote: »
    I used to go to the beautician every 5 weeks to get eyebrows tinted and waxed and eyelashes tinted - they are very very blonde!

I have a home eyelash/eyebrow dye kit now so I do them myself at home and I was surprised at how well it works out!

i dont think id trust myself not to blind myself or destroy my eyebrows.. whatever about messing up a part you can hide with clothes you cant hide your face!

i trust the person doing it & she always does a good job so for now ill be staying with her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I don't really buy less, I buy differently. I'd rather spend a few quid on a decent (and more recently fairly traded :D) body cream/shower gel etc. than buying several bottles of random tat I decided I don't like after a week. I can't help but think buying ridiculously cheap stuff (if you don't have to) comes at someone else's expense.

The last thing to go would probably be my favourite face cream. The world feels a better place with it on!

sar84 wrote: »
    i dont think id trust myself not to blind myself or destroy my eyebrows.. whatever about messing up a part you can hide with clothes you cant hide your face!

Seriously if I can do it and not blind myself....anyone can.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

i dont think id trust myself not to blind myself or destroy my eyebrows..

Done it. Was broke coming up to my cousin's hen weekend, so had to do my eyebrows myself... wasn't paying attention with the waxy strips and ripped a HUGE lump out of my left eyebrow. The inside part, nearest my nose.

Still hasn't grown back properly, actually... I just pluck them myself now :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

Lol the reminds me of the time i wasabout 13, oh god the shame i was a real tom boy and my bestfriend got the "line through" her eyebrow.. i wanted one, asked my father to do it, he thought it funny to shave off half my eyebrow!

the shame ,oh the shame!

I cant wax or pluck my eyebrows myself, icry like a girl, always get someone to do them for me

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭livvy

Women - I think we were being royally scr&wed for facials, hair styling etc. Ive stopped the expensive facials and go for a lash tints and eyebrow waxing. My last hair cut was €100 - no more of them for me. As occasional treat i buy an expensive scrub or exfoliant. I would say a lot of beauty salons will be seriously affected. What we spent our money on were luxuries - first to go when money is tight. Some salons still offer good value for money and they will get my custom from now on.

i have no doubt that id i tried to do it myself id end up with jet black weirdly shaped eyebrows (& blonde hair), and big black stains under my eyes from the eyelash dye.

this is just reminding me i must book to get it done, my eyebrows are disappearing again..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

i have no doubt that id i tried to do it myself id end up with jet black weirdly shaped eyebrows (& blonde hair), and big black stains under my eyes from the eyelash dye.

this is just reminding me i must book to get it done, my eyebrows are disappearing again..

It's actually not that bad. I've a home-kit too, but I find it works fine on the eyebrows, but not so much on the lashes. Too light.

TIP: Plucking or waxing after dying makes it easier to see what you are removing :o Just saying! Don't know why this didn't occur to me the first time!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm a student, so the recession isn't affecting me that me. I have, however, had the exact same income for 4 years while the cost of food, bills and general living have all been steadily increasing. Some of the things I've done are:
    • Started buying the 900mL bottles of Tresemmé shampoo and conditioner because they're far better value, and Superdrug regularly has them at buy 1 get 1 free
    • Stopped buying magazines
    • Stopped going out in Scotland. I only go out for important events or else the odd mad night in Cork
    • Gave up Starbucks
    • Become a hell of a lot more sparing with shower gels, cleansers etc
    • I do my shopping in Asda instead of Sainsburys when I can
    • I've cut way down on buying meat, and am no longer so concerned with it being the best quality available
    • I get my hair done at a fantastic salon where the operate a 40% student discount. When I move home, I'll be going to student nights

I still do get my hair done and still get bikini waxes, but that's for my own sanity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sillyputty

I haven't stopped doing anything...yet, but i have been going to the hairdressers less often. If i had to give up something it would be the waxing i can survive DIY style but i couldn't give up my face scrubs or my conditioning masks for my hair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

It is really easy to do. I was nervous at first but you just take it slowly and it works out fine!

The brown tint I use on my eyebrows needs to be left on a bit longer than it says on the packet and it is a bit light for the eyelashes so I use it more frequently.

Advertisement