Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What girly stuff have you given up and what will be the last thing to go?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

don't buy pretty bracelets or piercing related jewellery half as much anymore.

last to go... does alcomohol count?

Malari wrote: »
    It's actually not that bad. I've a home-kit too, but I find it works fine on the eyebrows, but not so much on the lashes. Too light.

I found the same with the kits in chemists for my eyelashes.
    So I bought a kit from a salon supply store, and the results are excellent.

Orchids would be my last frivilious expense to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Orchids would be my last frivilious expense to go.

ive about a dozen in the porch/conservatory that make the house smell like rotting rainforest... hate the bloody things.

want some? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I found the same with the kits in chemists for my eyelashes.
    So I bought a kit from a salon supply store, and the results are excellent.

Good show! Must try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

Sinall wrote: »
    It is really easy to do. I was nervous at first but you just take it slowly and it works out fine!

The brown tint I use on my eyebrows needs to be left on a bit longer than it says on the packet and it is a bit light for the eyelashes so I use it more frequently.

ok i admit it im just too lazy & scared!

for the moment i can still afford to get them done so will do it that way while i still can :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭DancingDaisy

I've cut down on the number of times I get my hair cut a year. It used to be whenever I had a little extra cash, that cash now get's used for other things.

I've stopped getting take-away's and I'm not eating out as much. I don't buy coffee's and pastries in college anymore. I've stopped picking up random bit's of make-up.

My one big expenditure cut has been books. I had a habit of buying a book everytime I had to wait for a train. I don't think I've bought a non-college related book since Christmas now though.

I have, however, started spending more money on skin care. I've been living in the city center since October and it's been playing havoc with my skin, so I've had to invest in a proper skin regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

I'm trying to avoid eating out more, can't afford it at all. Still get the odd takeaway but I think calming my cravings with 7 euro is cheaper than eating every bit of food in the house to try to get rid of it that way.

I've stopped buying random little bits of make up and I've stopped going into Boots so much. I can't control myself in that place. Having said that I've recently started taking much better care of my skin, I think I'm using it as something to do and track while I'm broke and unemployed! :)

Never get any waxing or anything doing and I haven't had my hair cut since long before christmas. Time for a cut now but I think I'll be doing it in one of those training colleges. Certainly can't afford real prices! I'm lucky I'm still living with the parents, otherwise I'd be rightly shagged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Trying to cook more, going out less, less coffees out and fancy schmancy lunches.

Haven't really cut back on the beauty expenditure tbh, I have to be well presented and groomed for my job as per my contract, so none of that is changing anytime soon methinks!!! I probably should be more sensible about it; but fcuk it, I like looking after myself....

Am taking care to buy as much as I can cosmetics-wise in the UK though....SOOOOOOOOOooooo much cheaper than here!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Sinall wrote: »
    I used to go to the beautician every 5 weeks to get eyebrows tinted and waxed and eyelashes tinted - they are very very blonde!

I have a home eyelash/eyebrow dye kit now so I do them myself at home and I was surprised at how well it works out!

what brand do you use and where do you get it?
    please say boots have one available!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

sam34 wrote: »
    Yep, boots have one called 'Colorsport: Long Lasting Eyelash dye', comes in dark brown or black, you'll find it by the tweezers and stuff. Think it's around €12.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I still have my job and the same pay so I'm still doing ok. However, I was expecting a pay rise and be able to buy more things like manicures, waxes and other pampering, but we'll have to wait til 2011 for that! :)

Even if I lost my job I'd say I have such a collection of make up I could ride out the recession with it, I'm rather obsessed, lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Lilyblue

I am so lucky my sister is a hairdresser and I am a qualified beauty therapist so I do all my own grooming.

We used to spend so much on food each week and end up wasting 70% of it so now we buy as required and its usually in the butchers (not that cheap) and veg shop.

Not used to going on holidays or having much of a social life anymore (as I have 2 kids, a huge mortgage & bills bills bills) so don't miss it. I love to buy clothes and cosmetics on a regular basis but have cut back a lot on them. Kids clothes are no longer designer labels more like Dunnes Stores and if its a special occasion then Next, I love their kids clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

sam34 wrote: »

I use one called dyelash - there seem to be two differnt types out there. First one (the one I use) you mix the stuff from two little tubes together first and then put it on your lashes/brows...with the second one, you have to put one layer of stuff on and then the other and let it react on your brows/lashes - I wouldn't advise getting this one as its harder to see what you are doing!

I got dyelash in Boots and also in some of the other chemists around. I started using it last October and it has save me lots of money so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭JessieJames

waxing, car (insurance) haircuts, eating out, going out, tan, clothes, the list is endless :(

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

Clothes, shoes retail habit completely gone now (not even been to Penneys). Hair cut and coloured every 6 weeks at home with cash nixer (lucky to know hairdresser who works at top salon;)). Do my own manicure/pedicure/eyebrows/fake tan... Coffee fix down to one a week or less now. My 'in style' & 'U' magazine gone since Jan 09. I put away all my summer clothes & shoes last year and just hauled them out last weekend from the Vacume bags... I stored all the winter stuff away, vaguely satisfying doing this... I treated myself to earrings on QVC last week though first purchase in months:) Last thing to go definitely my hair cut and colour, will eat beans on toast for me dinner before that goes..... Home colour just does not agree with my 'gruaig' at all.:p

Advertisement