Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

question about tripled glazed upvc units

• 06-04-2009 11:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭

I visited my friends house which has just had triple glazed upvc windows installed.They were supplied by a well know southern based manufacturer/supplier of windows nationwide.Does anyone have experience of these triple glazed upvc windows?

The glazing was triple glazed with stickers stating argon gold filled on them with black spacer bars.The frames looked pretty standard upvc frames to me.As I couldn't see the makup of the frame,I couldn't be sure if they have been super insulated to improve the u value.

Am I right in saying that if the frames are not of a very good u-value then the benifit of the triple glazing will be somewhat lost.But how much is the question.Is installing triple glazed units into standard upvc windows a waste of time (would you be better sticking with double glazed).

I would be very interested in your opinions on the relationship between the u-value of the glazing and the u-value of the frame,as I will be going down this road myself shortly.What is the best balance to strike?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Great question Gooner, as we'll also be wrecking our brains about this question soon also

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

gooner99 wrote: »
    I would be very interested in your opinions on the relationship between the u-value of the glazing and the u-value of the frame,as I will be going down this road myself shortly.What is the best balance to strike?

neither, the whole window u vale is the pertinent value... ie the u (eff) value.... which means the effective u value.

with triple glazing theres a balance between the heat they keep in versus teh solar gains they keep out. In my opinion, triple galzing in ireland should only be used on northern orientations.

http://www.passivhaustagung.de/Passive_House_E/windows_passive_houses_06.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

sydthebeat wrote: »
    .. In my opinion, triple galzing in ireland should only be used on northern orientations.

Would agree unless the option of fitting venetian blinds in the window is availed off. very effective and no cleaning:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

The issue of only having triple glazing on the north was raised by alot of architects at the passive house conference in croke park in 2007.

I'm told that the PHI speaker was very clear. Triple glazed windows on the south represent a net gain for the home when measured over the whole year.

There is g factor (I think it's called) for triple glazed windows which refers to the amount heat that will be allowed in via the glazing. Passive house windows have to have a value above a certain level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

I'm sorry sas, but I've no idea what you're saying there. :(
    Are you agreeing with STB's comment or not?

I only have a small office window, & an even smaller ensuite window on our north facing wall, so, going by STB's recommendation, there's no point in me going with triple glazed at all?
    All the better, as I don't want to be out unnecessary expense due to being ill informed.
    If triple glazed was only going to give me marginal heat savings (if any) for the extra cost involved in choosing them, I'd prefer not to install them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

BoozyBabe wrote: »
    I'm sorry sas, but I've no idea what you're saying there. :(
    Are you agreeing with STB's comment or not?

I only have a small office window, & an even smaller ensuite window on our north facing wall, so, going by STB's recommendation, there's no point in me going with triple glazed at all?
    All the better, as I don't want to be out unnecessary expense due to being ill informed.
    If triple glazed was only going to give me marginal heat savings (if any) for the extra cost involved in choosing them, I'd prefer not to install them

Respectfully disagreeing with him. Although we may not actually be coming at it from the same direction. I'm assuming extremely high levels of details i.e. a passive house. I don't know if the argument does hold up in a lesser spec home.

I believe you need to consider the glazing in conjunction with your overall insulation specification. WIll the windows actually be the week point?

Airtightness has the biggest return on investment I'm told.

Advertisement