Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd vs FC Porto

• 06-04-2009 11:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭

b_12.pngVb_26264.png

we could see Ronaldo up front with Rooney since berba is injured and tevez will be very tired after the plane journeys and yesterdays performance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Well, according to Fergie, Neville will be dropped for Vidic.

Not sure who the rest of the team will line up.

The defence picks itself..

.............VDS

O'Shea..Vidic..Evans..Evra

Fletcher..Scholes..Carrick..Park

......Ronaldo....Rooney

Foster, Neville, Fabio, Nani, Gibson, Macheda, Tevez.

Something like that maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I think Tevez will start this game as I hope we look to put this tie to bed tomorrow. Though with our recent form that may be not happen. Should be a better performance defensively with Vidic back and hopefully Rio too. Hoping Ronaldo goes on a little scoring spree now as well.

VDS
    O'Shea---Vidic
    Evans/Rio---Evra
    Carrick----Scholes
    Park
    Ronaldo
    Rooney
    Tevez

2-0 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Agree with the team Mitch posted. Great to have a few new players come in from yesterday with the games being so close together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I think that's about right, Ferguson's mindset in Europe always seems to be "not lose" rather than "win", so yeah, Fletcher and Park playing makes sense, although, what was the last time Fletcher played RW?

Can see Fletcher slotting into the middle with Ronaldo out right, and Rooney up front by himself.

Or, Rooney out left, Park right and Ronaldo up top.

Des wrote: »
    I think that's about right, Ferguson's mindset in Europe always seems to be "not lose" rather than "win", so yeah, Fletcher and Park playing makes sense, although, what was the last time Fletcher played RW?

Can see Fletcher slotting into the middle with Ronaldo out right, and Rooney up front by himself.

Or, Rooney out left, Park right and Ronaldo up top.

while I have them in a 442, yeah - i could see a lot of rotation during the match with regards to positions and formations.

• Advertisement

Seems like Rio won't make it and neither will Anderson.
    MANUTD.COM wrote:
    “I don't think any of the injured players will be back against Porto,” Sir Alex told MUTV after the Villa match. “But we do have the suspended players back which is good. Vida will play alongside Jonny Evans at the back with John O'Shea at right-back.

"Rooney and Scholes are also available which will give us a bit more penetration and experience, and Ji-sung Park will also be ready so I've got some good options for Tuesday. I'll have to assess how Ryan [Giggs] is after playing the 90 minutes against Villa. It's a big ask for someone at 35 years of age to play another game two days later at the kind of level we play.”

Players training on Monday: Van der sar, Foster, Kuszczak, Amos; Vidic, Eckersley, Fabio, Corry Evans; Scholes, Park, Tosic, Martin, Gibson; Rooney, Macheda, Welbeck.

Rooney and Scholes seem like definites to come in based on what Fergie said. He also seems to be think about Giggs. I really don't want to see him up front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Well, according to Fergie, Neville will be dropped for Vidic.

Not sure who the rest of the team will line up.

The defence picks itself..

.............VDS

O'Shea..Vidic..Evans..Evra

Fletcher..Scholes..Carrick..Park

......Ronaldo....Rooney

Foster, Neville, Fabio, Nani, Gibson, Macheda, Tevez.

Something like that maybe.

Defo the team I'd go with I think. Dying to see Vida back... hope he's not rusty :o Fletch earned himself a start I think, and I wanna see Park start again.

Rooney and Scholes seem like definites to come in based on what Fergie said. He also seems to be think about Giggs. I really don't want to see him up front.

Giggs and Scholes shouldn't play together.

Unless he really wants to slow the pace right down.

The worrying thing is the patched together defence, if Porto score I'd be worried about progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I can see Tevez getting a start. He was asked alot to play alone up top on Sunday, maybe be rewarded with a start alongside Rooney in the Champions League.

After all, Tevez and Rooney was our 1st choice strike partnership in last years winning campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Giggs and Scholes together is a recipe for disaster imo. Too slow.

It's Fergie, at home in Europe. It's much more attacking than what he's like when we're playing away. But it's still less attacking than we are in the league.

I think its unrealistic to expect Tevez to be playing. I'd imagine it'll be something like this:

VDS
    --O'Shea----Evans
    Vidic
    Evra-
    Carrick--Scholes
    --Park
    Fletcher
    Rooney-
    Ronaldo

We haven't seen Fletcher on the right in quite some time and I don't think that'll change tomorrow. I think in a European game Carrick can do a job defensively as he doesnt have to get stuck in, just intercept. Park and Rooney will drop in to sure up the midfield and provide pressure, and Ronaldo will do a good job up front as he does in Europe.

I think if we play that team we should be able to win the game, however I think we may well concede an away goal which will be troublesome.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't say it'd be a 'reward' if he's knackered and wants to go to sleep :p I'd say Tevez will be on the bench

Dave, Tevez does not get tired.

I agree regarding Scholes and Giigs not starting together, but SAF has done it this year. I can't see Giggs doing two games so close together though.

As for Tevez I think it will be a matter of how he looks in training today and tomorrow. Something we won't really be privy to.

As for the defense being patched up. It will be a lot better than yesterday. Really only Rio missing from our first choice.

I would say O'Shea has been our first choice RB this year.
    Vidic is obviously first choice center back.
    Evra obviously first choice left back.
    Evans is our third choice center back and will look a lot better beside Vidic. Rather than beside O'Shea, Neville.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

3-0 home win....

Porto are playing against a team still on a buzz of confidence after yesterday

Am i the only one who would class Rafael as VERY close to our first choice RB this year?

I reckon if he was fit O'Shea would not get as much game time, there would certainly be a toss-up before each game, speed or toughness.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Am i the only one who would class Rafael as VERY close to our first choice RB this year?

I reckon if he was fit O'Shea would not get as much game time, there would certainly be a toss-up before each game, speed or toughness.

Your right in that Rafeal would be seeing some game time if he wasn't injured. No doubt about that. But in the big games especially away from home I think O'Shea would be picked every time. Thats what makes me think he is first choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Didnt Giggs and Scholes play against Inter at old trafford and we won 2 - 0 ?

Manchester United v Porto

Misses next match if booked: Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Cristian Rodriguez (Porto), Cristian Sapunaru (Porto), Hulk (Porto) :eek:

redout wrote: »
    Didnt Giggs and Scholes play against Inter at old trafford and we won 2 - 0 ?

Wasn't that actually a very poor performance where we were lucky not concede at least one goal.

Champions League - Match facts: Manchester United v Porto

All the facts and figures ahead of Manchester United's Champions League quarter-final clash with Porto at Old Trafford.

The last time Porto met Manchester United they won 2-1 at home and drew 1-1 at Old Trafford in the Last 16 - they went on to win the trophy in 2004.

United have met Porto three times in European competition with the sides winning two games each and drawing two. Porto have progressed on two occasions and United once.

United have won five and drawn one of their six home games against Portuguese opposition in this competition.

Porto have won only three of 14 matches against English opponents in the Champions League, losing six and drawing one of the away matches.

Porto have conceded 20 goals in the seven away games in the Champions League against English clubs and kept no clean sheets.

United have won 15 and lost none of their last 19 Champions League matches at Old Trafford.

Man Utd are unbeaten in their last 21 Champions League matches, but their win over Inter was their only victory in the last five games in the competition.

Sir Alex Ferguson's side have kept 11 clean sheets in their last 14 Champions League matches.

Porto have kept no clean sheets in their last seven Champions League away games and conceded four in each of their last two trips to England.

Rio Ferdinand & co have conceded the fewest goals so far in the competition - three.

Porto's Argentinean striker Lisandro Lopez has scored five goals in his side's last four Champions League games and six in total in the competition this season

• Advertisement

Wasn't that actually a very poor performance where we were lucky not concede at least one goal.

Yes Scholes was rubbish but the point I am making is that we won 2 - 0 against Inter who I would rate higher than Porto. Scholes also good and fresh now.

Manchester United v Porto

Misses next match if booked: Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Cristian Rodriguez (Porto), Cristian Sapunaru (Porto), Hulk (Porto) :eek:

If we get to the final there is no way Rooney will not get that suspension along the way. Its just a matter of when and how many games we give him to get it.*

*based on cards not being wiped off which I don't think they are.

Yes Scholes was rubbish but the point I am making is that we won 2 - 0 against Inter who I would rate higher than Porto. Scholes also good and fresh now.

Scholes will be good and fresh but Giggs wouldn't be. It really hampers our performance having the two of them in the team. Takes a lot of pace out of our game. Need a nice high energy start tomorrow, and an early goal to build on the buzz coming off of yesterday.

If they put a couple past Porto tomorrow, he will get himself booked.

oh you old cynic.

oh you old cynic.

It's what I'd tell my players to do in the same situation.

Yeah but nobody listens to you Des

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Was thinking that myself...

but what's the 'safest' way to get a yellow?

Kick the ball away after the whistle has gone?

Knowing Rooney he probably won't have to do it. Just play as normal and get the booking.

If they do do this then they better do it late in the game. Otherwise he would probably end up with a red.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Champions League - Match facts: Manchester United v Porto

All the facts and figures ahead of Manchester United's Champions League quarter-final clash with Porto at Old Trafford.

The last time Porto met Manchester United they won 2-1 at home and drew 1-1 at Old Trafford in the Last 16 - they went on to win the trophy in 2004.

United have met Porto three times in European competition with the sides winning two games each and drawing two. Porto have progressed on two occasions and United once.

United have won five and drawn one of their six home games against Portuguese opposition in this competition.

Porto have won only three of 14 matches against English opponents in the Champions League, losing six and drawing one of the away matches.

Porto have conceded 20 goals in the seven away games in the Champions League against English clubs and kept no clean sheets.

United have won 15 and lost none of their last 19 Champions League matches at Old Trafford.

Man Utd are unbeaten in their last 21 Champions League matches, but their win over Inter was their only victory in the last five games in the competition.

Sir Alex Ferguson's side have kept 11 clean sheets in their last 14 Champions League matches.

Porto have kept no clean sheets in their last seven Champions League away games and conceded four in each of their last two trips to England.

Rio Ferdinand & co have conceded the fewest goals so far in the competition - three.

Porto's Argentinean striker Lisandro Lopez has scored five goals in his side's last four Champions League games and six in total in the competition this season

How excellent is that! Kinda expecting it to still be 11 after tomorrow night though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

PHB wrote: »

VDS
    --O'Shea----Evans
    Vidic
    Evra-
    Carrick--Scholes
    --Park
    Rooney-
    Ronaldo

A little over confident are we? :D :P

(edit- awaits dave!'s cat pictures)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

quad_red wrote: »
    Was thinking that myself...

but what's the 'safest' way to get a yellow?

Kick the ball away after the whistle has gone?

clapping in the ref's face tends to do it..

clip his nose to make sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

How long is Berbatov out for?

Trilla wrote: »

They are hoping he will be back training next week. The 2nd leg of the Porto game will probably be too early so we are looking at the FA Cup game against Everton (maybe on the bench) or the league game against Portsmouth the following Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

Trilla wrote: »

Two weeks i believe. Twisted ankle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

its offical Rio is out and Kiko will be on the bench
    at least we have vidic back

so

oshea/evans/vidic/evra

not too bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Headshot wrote: »
    its offical Rio is out and Kiko will be on the bench
    at least we have vidic back

so

oshea/evans/vidic/evra

not too bad

Hopefully, if he brings Kiko on, he plays well and lives up to the hype he's after building. lol I have faith that he will though.

Can't wait for this match now. Just in such a mood to watch United now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

I dont Tevez will start against Porto tomorrow simply reason being that he was only back from playing for Argentina and with injuries and suspensions SAF was forced to play him against Aston Villa on Sunday. I could be completely wrong and he might start him and bring off after 60min and give Wellbeck a longer run out.

I think he might start with....

....................VDS......................

O'Shea.....Vidic.......Evans.......Evra

Ronaldo....Carrick....Scholes....Park....

............Rooney......Macheda or Wellbeck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Vanbis wrote: »
    I dont Tevez will start against Porto tomorrow simply reason being that he was only back from playing for Argentina and with injuries and suspensions SAF was forced to play him against Aston Villa on Sunday. I could be completely wrong and he might start him and bring off after 60min and give Wellbeck a longer run out.

I think he might start with....

....................VDS......................

O'Shea.....Vidic.......Evans.......Evra

Ronaldo....Carrick....Scholes....Park....

............Rooney......Macheda or Wellbeck

love to see that line up but unfortunitly it'll be Ronaldo up front with Rooney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Headshot wrote: »
    love to see that line up but unfortunitly it'll be Ronaldo up front with Rooney

Ronaldo i thought only started to make an impact on yesterday once Macheda came on and played up front along Tevez. It may work playing him up front against Porto but id much rather see him playing on the right or left side of midfield running at players with the ball.

I think Nani days at Manutd might over this summer. Tosic seems to be struggling to adapt as well or is he injured? I thought i might saw him a bit more the last few weeks, seems to be spending alot of time in the stands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Porto had a decent win at the weekend. Lucho Gonzalez and Hulk are their main attacking threats and then Lisandro is a top striker that United are scouting apparentley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I fancy United for 2-0 in this one. Should be a good game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

12-0 Porto.

eZe^ wrote: »
    United 12-0 Porto.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

United should trounce Porto. At least 2-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

I'm not confident that it will be as comfortable as some think. Lucho is quality, and Lisandro looks like a natural goalscorer, stocky and powerful.
    Where we might have some joy is whit Helton, the Brazilian in goals. He's rubbish, frankly, a good shotstopper but not commanding under the ball, looks like he weighs about 7 stone. I'd fancy Vida nipping in with a header for first goalscorer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

In light of Sunday's match, and going by what the papers are saying, I'd say we'll see a team something along the lines of:

Macheda
    Macheda--Macheda--Macheda--Macheda
    Macheda--Macheda
    Macheda
    Macheda
    Macheda
    Macheda

In reality, considering the defence is known, I would say a midfield/attack of:

Flecther---Carrick---Scholes---Park
    Rooney---Ronaldo

Maybe asking Rooney to drop back into right wing occasionally to make it a more of an attacking 4-5-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I don't see us playing a 4-5-1 at home. I think Fergie will want to put this tie to bed. We haven't seen united play a 2 leg game in Europe with the first leg at home since Milan I think :eek:

For that reason I think we'll see an adventurous United. Do the job at home. I doubt Tevez would be fit to play and I think we could see Wellbeck rotating the right wing with Ronaldo. Here's hoping for a 2-0.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I don't see us playing a 4-5-1 at home. I think Fergie will want to put this tie to bed. We haven't seen united play a 2 leg game in Europe with the first leg at home since Milan I think :eek:

For that reason I think we'll see an adventurous United. Do the job at home. I doubt Tevez would be fit to play and I think we could see Wellbeck rotating the right wing with Ronaldo. Here's hoping for a 2-0.

Without Berbatov or Anderson, and with Giggs having played 90minutes, along with Tevez playing most of the match after a massive trek back to manchester, i'm not sure how adventerous we can go. To really 'go for it', either Welbeck or Macheda would probably have to start, as i'm not sure if Tevez will be rested enough to start tonight.

If Tevez is fit, ready and able I could see Fletch being dropped for him, in the line-up above, with Tevez partnering Rooney and Ronaldo out right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I've a funny feelin the boy wonder Kiko will come off the bench and get a late goal to seal a 2-0 win. Rooney to get the first and then be booked for diving into the crowd. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement