Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd vs FC Porto

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I'm feeling fairly confident with this one. With all the main men coming back into the fold I think we will be far better going forward and defensively. I don't think it will be as easy as everyone thinks though, Porto will be tough. United should have enough to see them though but I don't see it by any more than one or two goals on aggregate.

My heart says 3-0 tonight, but I think it will be 1-0.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

If Federico Macheda comes off the bench and scores in this game like another person predicted I'd worry about being able to keep him grounded. There are numerous examples of young, prodigous strikers who go from 'the next big thing' to disappointment too quickly - Mario Balotelli, Bojan to name too recent examples.

Having said that I don't think he will score but United will win 2-0 anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

RichTea wrote: »
    Bojan to name too recent examples.

LOL, you try prospering when you've got Henry, Eto'o and Messi ahead of you, players who have so far scored 80 goals between them this season. He's 18, and has scored 9 goals this season, mainly bit part appearances too.

eZe^ wrote: »
    LOL, you try prospering when you've got Henry, Eto'o and Messi ahead of you, players who have so far scored 80 goals between them this season. He's 18, and has scored 9 goals this season, mainly bit part appearances too.

C'mon. His performances have been weak when he's been given the chance. The way people went on about him you'd swear he was the second coming of Pele.

Granted he has a couple of lads ahead of him in the pecking order. But the way Barca rotate their squad when they want to means he has been given plenty of chances this season which many have gotten a lukewarm reaction.

Started 2 games in La Liga, making 14 sub appearances, scoring 2 with 2 assists. He's made 7 starts in the Copa Del Rey and scored 4 goals. He's made 3 starts and 3 sub appearances in the CL and scored 3 goals. Now I don't know what you want from an 18 year old striker, but to say he went from 'the next big thing' to disappointment is quite clearly laughable. If you had said something more reasonable like 'He hasn't been as good as he was last year' I would have agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I thought Balotelli has done very well for Inter this year? He was one of their best players against United.

eZe^ wrote: »
    Started 2 games in La Liga, making 14 sub appearances, scoring 2 with 2 assists. He's made 7 starts in the Copa Del Rey and scored 4 goals. He's made 3 starts and 3 sub appearances in the CL and scored 3 goals. Now I don't know what you want from an 18 year old striker, but to say he went from 'the next big thing' to disappointment is quite clearly laughable. If you had said something more reasonable like 'He hasn't been as good as he was last year' I would have agreed.

Ah, I think we're going to have to agree to disagree here. Personally I think his performances and on field antics have been poor this season. The stats may say otherwise but I'd be willing to bet that the guy never becomes a first rate striker at a top club.
    PHB wrote: »
    I thought Balotelli has done very well for Inter this year? He was one of their best players against United.

Serie A-wise he has been bloody awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

PHB wrote: »

He looked decent for such a young guy. Perhaps if that sniper in the stands stopped taking shots at him any time O'Shea went near him we would have seen the best of him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Doesnt seem to be as much interest in this tie compared to the Inter one. There was far more activity on the Inter thread. Do people think this is going to be a walkover ?

• Advertisement

redout wrote: »
    Doesnt seem to be as much interest in this tie compared to the Inter one. There was far more activity on the Inter thread. Do people think this is going to be a walkover ?

I'd put that partly down to continued discussion of Sunday's win over Villa as well as having beaten Inter. It's a complacent attitude alright but realistically speaking it is the first leg and the opponent isn't the sharpest in the competition. United beware!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Not a walkover but I'm definitely not as nervous going into this game as I was with the Inter one. Also there ain't a lot of team selection to talk about. Everyone seems to have the same idea of what team will be put out. The only really talking point is if Tevez should play after his weekend excursions.

Rio is another talking point but the defense picks itself. If Rio is fit he plays if not Evans does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Same... I'm not complacent about it, but I'm certainly not as worried as the Inter matches.

Just looking forward to another game! No United matches in circa 2 weeks, and then 2 games in 2 days :) Famine or feast!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think anyone who thinks this tie is in the bag needs their head checking. Porto are a decent side, at least as good as Villa if not better, and can beat us. That said, I'm just happy were not playing the big guns, where are chances are close to 50/50, rather than say 70/30.

I'm fairly bloody nervous about this game to be honest, too many broken hearts i've had from United in Europe over the years for me to take any game for granted, not least Porto and their bloody disallowed goals, I'd like to get some drink into me asap to calm the nerves :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

got porto at 9/1 in boylesports not bad considering utd are after only one days rest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

While it won't be a walkover, it isn't one of the ties of the round, and doesn't have Jose stirring it up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I think United will need a two goal lead to go to Portugal, but I see them getting that by half-time and winning 3-0 overall and the Invincibles will be back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

I want to see a thrashing although I expect some dodgy defending and tired post-macheda legs, so I'm thinking of putting a bet down for 2-1 to Utd. Yes, I think Porto will get an away goal.

The second leg of this fixture will be Sir Alex Ferguson's 150th in the Champions League. No other head coach comes anywhere near this total with Arsene Wenger the only other person to take charge of more than 100 matches in the competition (114).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

While it won't be a walkover, it isn't one of the ties of the round, and doesn't have Jose stirring it up.
    We'll only know that after the game tonight.

I don't know what to expect tbh. I know fergie usually plays it cautious in Europe but considering our recent form and that tonight is at OT, I think we'll really go for this one. (2-0).

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

dfx- wrote: »
    I think United will need a two goal lead to go to Portugal, but I see them getting that by half-time and winning 3-0 overall and the Invincibles will be back.

Does this mean that they weren't invincible in the first place since they were beaten twice or now they will be invinsible or................?

Anyway, the only thing going against United here is fitness I think. The Villa win will have been a massive boost for the team's confidence and Porto simply will not be good enough imo. Still, if I were a United fan I too would be nervous because if you were to lose 0-1 or have a score draw it just adds more pressure to the PL run in.

Prediction:
    2-0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

K4t wrote: »
    We'll only know that after the game tonight.

I don't know what to expect tbh. I know fergie usually plays it cautious in Europe but considering our recent form and that tonight is at OT, I think we'll really go for this one. (2-0).
    No complacency for United

Sir Alex Ferguson isn't underestimating the threat posed by FC Porto tonight, insisting that it would be foolish to expect an easy route to the semi-finals.

Porto currently lead the way domestically and the 2004 Champions League winners are more than capable of causing an upset, as United discovered that season in the last 16, losing 3-2 to the side then managed by Jose Mourinho.

"It would be stupid to think this is going to be easy," said the United boss. "When teams are used to winning their domestic title, as Porto are in Portugal, you always feel they will play with great confidence.

"By beating Atletico Madrid, Porto proved they will be hard to beat. They have a lot of South Americans in their team, which gives them a physical edge."

The Reds are unbeaten in 21 Champions League games and hold a remarkable record of 19 games without defeat at Old Trafford in Europe. Porto have never won in England; ten of eleven visits to these shores have resulted in defeat. So, United start as strong favourites, but that in itself brings danger.

"Complacency does not come into it as far as we are concerned," counters Sir Alex. "We will be going at it full throttle in order to get the result we want."

really hope he goes for it tbh,we could finish Porto off tonight

im agreeing with K4t im going for a 2-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Avoid conceding a goal and have a lead going over to Porto is the order of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Team:

VDS
    O'shea Evans Vidic Evrea
    Fletcher Scholes Carrick
    Ronaldo Rooney Park

Mgoraf wrote: »
    Team:

VDS
    O'shea Evans Vidic Evra
    Fletcher Scholes Carrick
    Ronaldo Rooney Park

probly somthing like this

vds
    O'shea Evans Vidic Evra
    fletch scholes carrick park
    Ronaldo---Rooney

Mgoraf wrote: »
    Team:

VDS
    O'shea Evans Vidic Evrea
    Fletcher Scholes Carrick
    Ronaldo Rooney Park

Exactly the 11 i thought it would be. Do you know what the bench is?

Foster, Neville, Giggs, Nani, Tevez, Macheda, Eckersley is the bench.

Manchester United (4-4-2): Van der Sar; O'Shea, Evans, Vidic, Evra; Ronaldo, Carrick, Scholes, Park; Tevez, Rooney.

Porto (4-3-3): Helton; Sapunaru, Rolando, Bruno Alves, Cissokho; Meireles, Fernando, Lucho Gonzalez; Cristian Rodriguez, Hulk, Lisandro Lopez.

Well, according to Fergie, Neville will be dropped for Vidic.

Not sure who the rest of the team will line up.

The defence picks itself..

.............VDS

O'Shea..Vidic..Evans..Evra

Fletcher..Scholes..Carrick..Park

......Ronaldo....Rooney

Foster, Neville, Fabio, Nani, Gibson, Macheda, Tevez.

Something like that maybe.

Wasn't too far off, giggs and eckersley for gibson and fabio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Really looking forward to watching Lucho. Smashing player.

Manchester United (4-4-2): Van der Sar; O'Shea, Evans, Vidic, Evra; Ronaldo, Carrick, Scholes, Park; Tevez, Rooney.

tevez isn't starting, fletcher is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

put a fiver on Porto at 9-1. Just have a feeling.

just looking at rte's formation of the utd team

Fletcher..Scholes..Carrick.

Ronaldo
    park
    Rooney

52325198.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Hulk!

Lucho and Lopez are key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I quite like United's team indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Hulk!

Any bookie giving odds on which minute the first 'Incredible' reference will be made by the commentators?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Headshot wrote: »
    just looking at rte's formation of the utd team

Fletcher..Scholes..Carrick.

Ronaldo
    park
    Rooney

Nice. Would Hate to see Fletcher used wide on the right tbh. Poor lad, it makes him look rubbish at times when he's been so solid this season.

Nice. Hate seeing Fletcher used wide on the right tbh. Poor lad, it makes him look rubbish at times when he's been so solid this season.

I dont think its nice at all

Rooney up on his own, I cant stand when he plays Rooney up there on his own

• Advertisement

I imagine Ronaldo will play further forward than just wide on the right though.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Champions league is back! Yet some things never change over on RTE 2 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Champions league is back! Yet some things never change over on RTE 2 :D

"In my day Bill we wouldn't have tolerated Ronaldo..."

"If you look at the Declan Kidneys of the world Bill..."

Zzzzz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

The lads on RTE just spent 15 minutes of the same ronaldo is sh!te argument so stick your house on him to score first

Quint wrote: »
    The lads on RTE just spent 15 minutes of the same ronaldo is sh!te argument so stick your house on him to score first

MAybe Dunphy has! :rolleyes:

Quint wrote: »

They could nearly pre-record it and play the same video every match. Nothing changes :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Getting a five dollar hooker to punch you in the face for a half an hour would be more entertaining and informative that RTE pre-match rants,,,,,,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I think Fletcher will start on the right with Ronaldo just behind Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It's become so tiresome at this stage - why in the world should Ferguson be more worried, as the panel constantly make out, about how a bit part player like Tevez feels than how an extremely important player like Ronaldo feels. Nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyone else think Rooney on his own + Porto defenders = red card?

mike65 wrote: »
    Anyone else think Rooney on his own + Porto defenders = red card?

Always a possiblity but thats were I think Park And Fletcher will help him out. They will do a lot of leg work in midfield. If we apply ourselves properly and get Rooney into good positions he should remain calm :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement