Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd vs FC Porto

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Jaysus, what has happened to United!! Who is responsible for it is one argument but they are falling to pieces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Well if that's anything to go by, it's gonna be some uncomfortable watching in Porto. Simply awful.

Chong wrote: »
    Bye Bye CL for us, terrible game , rubbish defense, nothing going right for this team.

Thats like someone the other day saying league was over when Villa were leading !

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Bye Bye CL for us, terrible game , rubbish defense, nothing going right for this team.

I dunno, top of the league table, and managing to get results that they don't deserve, I would say a lot is going right for this team, no matter what the performances look like.

What's not going right is the amount of goals being leaked, an unbelievable turnaround ffrom only a few weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Fergie's cracking up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Headshot wrote: »
    yap your right Mike

what can i say

Rooney is the only player that can hold his high in the dressing room
    I agree, and maybe fletch.

Ronaldo - Rubbish
    Scholes - A Joke
    Park - Not in the slightest bit fit
    Carrick - A Joke
    Evans - Rubbish
    Vida - Average
    VDS - Flapping about like a turkey
    Evra - Rubbish

O'Shea not so bad , played better than usual, but anything is better than the crap he generally produces.

Tevez good goal
    Giggs - Poor

I would have liked to see Macheda to be given a chance to inject some life and pace in to the game but alas Fergie didnt give the lad a nod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

damn you highsider. bet me to it :P:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

the worst f*cking pathetically sh!te excuse for a performance i have seen in a long long time! that was a complete and utter disgrace and that is putting it mildly! i really think that was totally unprofressional and they have preally fcuked up!

i dont have the same optimism as MNG, i dont think we can beat them in porto, point blank!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

You don't play football in a vacuum. Yes, Utd were poor tonight. But their errors needed to be punished by the opposition - and Porto did that and more. Very impressive away performance, every time they got the ball they were purposeful and creative. Passing the ball well and getting men forward on the counter attack quickly. They pressed really high up the pitch and stuck it to Utd right from the get go.

And apart from the glaring error from Alves for the first Utd goal, they stuck to the task well enough and their keeper made a couple of fine stops. Lisandro, Lucho, Hulk and Sissoko looked awesome. And their away support also deserves a mention.

This is what makes the Champions League the competition it is - that 50 / 1 shots for the win can go away to the reigning champions and deserve a draw at least. Great game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Highsider wrote: »
    Fergie's cracking up :)

are you back

you just dont learn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I don't buy into the whole "we're missing Rio, he's the rock of our defense" or " we're missing Vidic . . ." or Rafael/Brown . . .

United look very mentally frail at the moment.

the worst f*cking pathetically sh!te excuse for a performance i have seen in a long long time! that was a complete and utter disgrace and that is putting it mildly! i really think that was totally unprofressional and they have preally fcuked up!

i dont have the same optimism as MNG, i dont think we can beat them in porto, point blank!
    I agree I cant see us beating that team in Porto, like the league I think we have blown it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Never seen united play so bad as the last month..........winning at porto is one of the toughest tasks in europe. Alot of players in that team with no heart in comparison to other years. Not much going on in midfield for united tonight either.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Dunphy just paraphrased you. Hope your happy :p

hey

what can i say i write his script

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

are you back

you just dont learn

On a positive note no United fan is calling for him to be sacked :D

daithijjj wrote: »
    Never seen united play so bad as the last month..........winning at porto is one of the toughest tasks in europe. Alot of players in that team with no heart in comparison to other years. Not much going on in midfield for united tonight either.

What a turnaround in attitudes towards this team from six weeks ago...

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

are we overreacting now, or were we overreacting then? Or both?

are you back

you just dont learn
    Teach me oh masterful one. Rafa's got to Fergie and since the Liverpool result Utd have'nt been the same...FACT.

End of the day Liverpool destroyed us in the league, and in the mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Game is well srt up now fpr the second leg. United have to go for it if they do want to meet Barcelona in the final.

are we overreacting now, or were we overreacting then? Or both?

Both..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Another shocking performance from United. No defensive solidity. No midfield protection and no invention up front.

Just a terrible performane.

No excuses for it, no missing loads of players (though Rio and a decent right back might have helped) but we simply have not been good enough for well over a month at this point, and for much of the season imo.

No explanation for it either, can't even say it was the liverpool game knocking the stuffing out of it, cause we were terrible before that game too.

Fergie needs to sort it out, but i have to think that if he could, he would have by now, or at least look like we were on the way to recovery.

With this result tonight, we are likely out of the CL this season, on current form I do not see us going to Porto and winning.

I am ashamed of how the team is playing at the moment. We deserve nothing this season on this form. nothing.

van der Saar - no command of the are or control of the defense.

Evra - ok going forward, terrible defensively, made no effort to block down the cross for the third. very disappointed in him, was at fault against Villa too.

O'Shea - got into great positions going forward, but then was O'Shea when he got there, which is disappointing, didn't do great defensively.

Evans - Nervous and poor for most of the night.

Vidic - lucky on a number of occassions, no command of the defence or his area.

Ronaldo - was Ronaldo really, looked capable of doing something, but frustrating.

Scholes - terrible, stray passes and no control in midfield.

Carrick - the same as Scholes.

Fletcher - one of our better players imo.

Park - Shocking, just shocking, a truly terrible performance, headless workrate, couldn't even pass the ball.

Rooney - looked good when he got the ball, but not enough from him.

Overall, I can't believe how poor we were tactically. The game was so open, but only cause we were terrible, our midfield offered no protection to the defence and no real opposition to the Porto midfield, they ran through us and beyond us way too easily. when we did have the ball, we couldn't do anything with it cause we couldn't keep the ball.

Worst performance of the season imo, and tgey have been steadily getting worse. dread to think wat will happen away to sunderland this weekend.

Ferguson needs to do something, but what... i have no idea.

Really don't see us beating Porto away.

On current form we'll be lucky to add any silverware to the Carling Cup, we definitely won't in fact, with this form. Don't know what is going to happen from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Ronnie Whelan is off his rocker, trying to say that the poor form is down to being afraid. This is a team that won the EPL and CL last year, how could they be afraid.

So bothered about the away leg, Porto are good at home and the haven't been beaten in 5 months in any competition as far as I know. We have to go there where they are at their best (and we are far from our best) and we have to get a win. What a crap situation to be in.

Teach me oh masterful one. Rafa's got to Fergie and since the Liverpool result Utd have'nt been the same...FACT.

please god stop talking! Liverpool fans should not be indulging in borderline gloating. We've been bitten too many times before.

Stop this petty bickering. Highsider, behave please. More nonesense from you and I'll be forced to wave my banstick...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

I think the hype surrounding Machedo is emblematic of some of the problems at United. A guy comes in and scores a good goal and suddenly he's a pin up and the next Ronaldo, blah blah blah...

Could you imagine how Keane would've reacted to the defending. There are no leaders in that team (a la Gerard at Liverpool).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

We'll see what Man U are made of the next few games. Tbh, I don't think they were as bad as everyone is making out. Yes, first half they were woeful. But they found some rhythm in the second half which was encouraging, without creating a whole lot. An improvement, somewhat, but Porto are a decent team. That said, I think the way they set themselves up, they were there for the taking.

The problems probably have their root in the Newcastle game, when that record was broken. Since then, defensively, they've looked unsure. But the only way to play through a blip is to take the next game as it comes. They're not out of it by any means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Nice one, Giles just blew dunphys argument out of the water!
    How bad does Scholes have to be for dunphy to say anything about him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

A fair result to be honest , Porto were the much better team in the first half , Thought Utd improved in the 2nd half and ran the game for the most part , all be it Porto always looked dangerous , The work-rate of their front three was very impressive. UTD created enough chances in the 2nd half to make me believe that we will score in the 2nd leg.

An uphill challenge but far from impossible
    0-1 is all we need :D:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Carrick was absolutely rubbish, he never tackles just throws a leg out in hope with minimum effort and pulls out of most tackles including 50/50. The last two games against Aston Villa and Porto there is two much space between the defense and midfield and again tonight the defense didn’t get enough protection against Porto, Forget the winning the Champions League, if Porto can play like that away then you would expect better at home.

The likes of Flectcher, O'Shea and Carrick i dont think are good enough. Scholes is past which i am sorry to say as he has being my favourite player over the last five seasons. We really need to replace him Scholes this summer. We still have Hargreaves to come back and hopefully he hits the ground the running in the new season.

Ronaldo was again rubbish tonight and it might be time to sell him considering if we did we could easily buy 3 top players. Just a thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Jesus fúcking Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

United look very mentally frail at the moment.

Ronny Whealen claims they're frightened. Thoughts?

Stop this petty bickering. Highsider, behave please. More nonesense from you and I'll be forced to wave my banstick...
    Are you for real? I'm saying Rafa has got to Fergie and you are saying i could be banned for saying that. Why? because it annoys people that it could be right. Listen i'll head out of this thread if people can't take a slagging. jeeeeees

I think the hype surrounding Machedo is emblematic of some of the problems at United. A guy comes in and scores a good goal and suddenly he's a pin up and the next Ronaldo, blah blah blah...

Could you imagine how Keane would've reacted to the defending. There are no leaders in that team (a la Gerard at Liverpool).

thanks ironingbored I needed that laugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Way to keep the faith. Your support is inspiring. :rolleyes:

you may have a point there, it was probably more to do with the nature of the defeat though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

This is the first time ive ever written a post on united on this forum, so i presume you were speaking generally?

Vanbis wrote: »
    Carrick was absolutely rubbish, he never tackles just throws a leg out in hope with minimum effort and pulls out of most tackles including 50/50. The last two games against Aston Villa and Porto there is two much space between the defense and midfield and again tonight the defense didn’t get enough protection against Porto, Forget the winning the Champions League, if Porto can play like that away then you would expect better at home.

The likes of Flectcher, O'Shea and Carrick i dont think are good enough. Scholes is past which i am sorry to say as he has being my favourite player over the last five seasons. We really need to replace him Scholes this summer. We still have Hargreaves to come back and hopefully he hits the ground the running in the new season.

Ronaldo was again rubbish tonight and it might be time to sell him considering if we did we could easily buy 3 top players. Just a thought.
    Fletcher had a good game, and he also had a good one on Sunday, one of very few in the team playing well.

Morzadec wrote: »
    Ronny Whealen claims they're frightened. Thoughts?

possible. I think losing the title to Liverpool would hurt them more than anything else.

But it's probably a mixture of fear, complacency, Ronaldo not getting the same goal tally and some other factors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Thank god RTE went for a break, they were just about to start the same ronaldo rant for the 1000th time

Are you for real? I'm saying Rafa has got to Fergie and you are saying i could be banned for saying that. Why? because it annoys people that it could be right. Listen i'll head out of this thread if people can't take a slagging. jeeeeees

In fairness, you were just posting the odd troll comment before the warning

• Advertisement

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Way to keep the faith. Your support is inspiring. :rolleyes:
    Thanks man id like to believe I inspire like some of the greats.

+1 :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

is it time to post pictures of ferguson as cracked glass? or maybe paste his head on to kevin keegan during that rant?........

utd were terrible tonite. i think that dunphy hit the nail on the head by talking about habits. having good habits and keeping to them. utd have picked up some very bad habits in the past few weeks and they are manifesting in very bad ways on the pitch. the sooner u get a cooler head like ferdinand back in the team the better for u. even rafael seems to be more chillaxed then neville, then again.. who isnt?
    park was very poor tonite. reminded me so much of kuyt when dirk has a howler. showed no intellegence and was at times a hinderance.

porto played their game well and possibly deserved more. showed absolutely no fear
    im going to be in the liverpool match thread tomorrow, looking very forward to it

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    down in the mud track, after school. me & u

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I think our midfield has been average for the last month, but our defence has been awful. Liverpool's 4 goals were poor defending on our part (not taking away from Liverpool's performance - they took advantage of our shoddy defence and outplayer, so let's not start that debate again), Villa's 2 goals on Sunday could've been prevented and two goals tonight were bad defending.

The Villa game I'll accept that we had players missing, but tonight it was 3/4 a first team defence. How on earth do we go from record amount of clean sheets to these kinds of performances?

Jazzy wrote: »
    is it time to post pictures of ferguson as cracked glass? or maybe paste his head on to kevin keegan during that rant?........

Should put him a straight jacket.. Oh wait.. That would be about as arrogant as it gets..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I promise I will ban and infract anyone who is not discussing the match from this post onwards

I don't want to see bickering, tit-for-tat or anything else.

I think the Rafa getting to Fergie thing might have some merit, in terms of the press conference he gave after the game where he explained in detail the tactics Liverpool employed in the 4 - 1 win. And there is no doubt that the Liverpool game was a watershed as far as Utd's form is concerned.

HOWEVER, the warning was in relation to the borderline trolling from you earlier in this thread - in particular the spate of 'Ronaldo free kick stance' posts that I had to delete. If you want further clarification, PM please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

thanks ironingbored I needed that laugh

Instead of a vacuous and glib answer. Why not offer a rebuttal of my point?

I'm not saying I'm right. My points are that this United team seems to lack a leader on the field (a la keane, gerard) and that sometimes believing your hype can be detrimental.

daithijjj wrote: »
    This is the first time ive ever written a post on united on this forum, so i presume you were speaking generally?

Yes I was, sorry for not making that clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Tom65 wrote: »
    I think our midfield has been average for the last month, but our defence has been awful. Liverpool's 4 goals were poor defending on our part (not taking away from Liverpool's performance - they took advantage of our shoddy defence and outplayer, so let's not start that debate again), Villa's 2 goals on Sunday could've been prevented and two goals tonight were bad defending.

The Villa game I'll accept that we had players missing, but tonight it was 3/4 a first team defence. How on earth do we go from record amount of clean sheets to these kinds of performances?
    In fairness, that second goal was unlucky, had O' Shea not got the flick on that cross then Neville had it covered I would say. Agreed, the defence was stretched but Porto had four men up beore Man U got to reset the defence and it showed as Neville had to step across to cover the other man instead of his own. Bit harsh to say bad defence, just very good, quick offence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Also, I would agree with anyone who says this United team need a leader.

Advertisement