Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random/General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Bookies are scum that prey on the weak. Every football gambling adds are thrown down peoples throats, adds with Ray Winestone for example here is a compilation:
    https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/798290147301322752

Bookies add nothing to our society and all they do is take, they provide a couple of jobs that are barely above minimum wage is about all they provide to society.

I seriously was in shock they were trying to pull the sympathy card "taxes will make us shutdown" Fcuk right off

Same as a pub so.

Edit; just to add i agree regarding the bookies playing the sympathy card... Fu(k em. Still doesnt take away the fact it is people who bet not bookies so therefore it is the individual who has the choice.

alta stare wrote: »
    Same as a pub so.

Edit; just to add i agree regarding the bookies playing the sympathy card... Fu(k em. Still doesnt take away the fact it is people who bet not bookies so therefore it is the individual who has the choice.

Pubs at least serve as a place for people to socialize but Im also not a fan of pubs.

Pubs at least serve as a place for people to socialize but I also am not a fan of pubs.

Still promote something which damages lives and families.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

Pubs at least serve as a place for people to socialize but Im also not a fan of pubs.

Bookies would too for many an ould lad in fairness. And not nearly as harmful as the drink for them. Just like everything, there are some who can enjoy a bet and walk away, and some who can't. Exact same as a pub and by extension any potentially addictive substance.

The disturbing thing is how much leeway and protection we give to the alcohol industry in comparison to others.

In Ireland : Publican = Respectable, socially acceptable. Bookmaker = Borderline, regarded as less than savoury for some. Drug Dealer = Scumbag.
    In reality all 3 are almost identical roles providing a service to people who wish to avail of it in knowledge that it may have damaging effects.

I find it funny the difference in attitude to the purveyors of services whilst the attitude toward abusive users/misfortunates addicted to any of the above is identical.

engiweirdo wrote: »
    Bookies would too for many an ould lad in fairness. And not nearly as harmful as the drink for them. Just like everything, there are some who can enjoy a bet and walk away, and some who can't. Exact same as a pub and by extension any potentially addictive substance.

The disturbing thing is how much leeway and protection we give to the alcohol industry in comparison to others.

In Ireland : Publican = Respectable, socially acceptable. Bookmaker = Borderline, regarded as less than savoury for some. Drug Dealer = Scumbag.
    In reality all 3 are almost identical roles providing a service to people who wish to avail of it in knowledge that it may have damaging effects.

I find it funny the difference in attitude to the purveyors of services whilst the attitude toward abusive users/misfortunates addicted to any of the above is identical.

Absolutely spot on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Sad to see Oemperor finishing up, thought their two albums were good, first one very good, you could see it happen, they had good national success but like so many bands, if you don't hit the big time sooner rather than later, life, family etc takes over priority.
    Anyway, they're doing a final gig tonight in Project. Be worth a trip.best of luck to them, hopefully, they'll be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Max Powers wrote: »
    Sad to see Oemperor finishing up, thought their two albums were good, first one very good, you could see it happen, they had good national success but like so many bands, if you don't hit the big time sooner rather than later, life, family etc takes over priority.
    Anyway, they're doing a final gig tonight in Project. Be worth a trip.best of luck to them, hopefully, they'll be back.

Didn't they release an album last month?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Was in town today, first time in months being in town on a Saturday.
    My god, the amount of people begging!
    Is this normal? I mean they were on every Street.
    ( not the SV de P crowd.)

deise08 wrote: »
    Yeah it's unreal. Multiple different variants of beggar now too, from the homeless to junkies and every week it looks like a certain type of European immigrant has increased their presence too.

On the plus side, while Winterval itself is proving pretty underwhelming, streets were packed as were a shops, cafes etc and lots of reasonably happy looking families about.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

Didn't they release an album last month?

They sure did...an absolute gem of an album...sad to see them split.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

deise08 wrote: »

Seems strange that beggars would target Waterford city in numbers, if there is a lack of 'spare cash' in peoples pockets.
    There surely must be better target areas for begging if Waterford is as depressed as one might be led to believe, reading the city forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Anyone know where the DJs on WLR are from? Rick Whelan? Very odd accent cant place it at all, same with Ollie on the breakfast show, he sounds like a game show host but I cant place their accents at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Our Waterford beggars are on par with Dublin now. Awful. Every couple of minutes you see one.

In the city centre, on the outskirts (aldi cork road car park this evening going around tapping on peoples windows) I nearly ran at him when I seen him tapping on my elderly mothers window!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Anyone know where the DJs on WLR are from? Rick Whelan? Very odd accent cant place it at all, same with Ollie on the breakfast show, he sounds like a game show host but I cant place their accents at all.

Don't go there with that guy! He belongs in a home!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Why what am I missing??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Can someone tell Woodies to stop fecking about? The place is in a state of chasis at the moment with whole lines of stock taped off and big boxes filling the isles. It's the hardest place to find anything when it's settled. They should have a look at Homebase to see how organised looks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Quote: TheQuietFella
    Why what am I missing??

What are we missing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I passed through town about half hour ago the place is crazy some crowd of drunken students around,Witmas is in full swing!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I passed through town about half hour ago the place is crazy some crowd of drunken students around,Witmas is in full swing!

any trouble last night?

Wanderer78 wrote: »

any trouble last night?
    Few sausages got battered Id say.

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    any trouble last night?

I dont know but there was a big garda presence all over the town and templars hall when i passed at one stage

I hope nobody on here was crazy enough to be queing outside Next at 1am this morning :eek:

Any suggestions for Best week (Monday to Friday) parking rates, I know the underground in railway sq do fairly good week rates, any others?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Irish Yellow Vests er, "Waterford Branch" were marching through the city yesterday; not wholly sure why they chose, or were allowed to go through, City Square Shopping Centre!

Chanting and marching through it and then stopped in middle to do a bit more shouting and preaching......

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

What were they protesting against? Debenhams?

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Irish Yellow Vests er, "Waterford Branch" were marching through the city yesterday; not wholly sure why they chose, or were allowed to go through, City Square Shopping Centre!

Chanting and marching through it and then stopped in middle to do a bit more shouting and preaching......

Dopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭azimuth17

No Harry,, The cardiac protest is on Saturday 19th. Marching through City Square is a bit OTT.

Ah right they've decided to wait until the weather turns cold.

The whole Yellow Vest thing is comical, you know whoever is wearing one which not part of their work (and it'll probably be company branded) is a tosser.

• Advertisement

Think it was something to do with south Sudan solidarity....serious.

No, my mistake, the south Sudan one was on the mall when I heard it, have to agree with previous posters description of them. Article on wlr site has their demand list as long as your arm

Advertisement