Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm - inhibiting a zone after cutting wire

Options
  • 06-04-2009 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

I was fitting a carpet in my house on the weekend, and I happened to cut through one of the alarm wires. When I tried to arm the system, it told me that there was an ‘open zone, downstairs back window’. The zone isn’t open, it’s just I cut the wire.
    My question is, can I remove/inhibit that zone from my part-set/full-set so that I can use the rest of the alarm? I’m getting electrical work done in the house in a month or so, so I don’t want the extra expense of getting this particular issue fixed right now.
    The alarm is Aritech CS350, probably old enough too.

Cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It depends on a couple on things
    1) If your code has privledges to inhibit
    2) If its just a a zone thats affected & its not causing a tamer also..
    Presuming you know the zone number thats affected procede as follows:
    Enter your user code ( if the system begins to arm stright away then your code does not have inhibit privledges) otherwise the display should show
    Arm Menu
    Press arrow down
    The display will show inhibit
    Press the correct key
    The display will show no inhibits
    Enter the zone number you want to inhibit (1-6)
    Press the correct key
    The display will show is inhibited
    Press XXX until Finished? displays & press the correct key
    Now arm the system as normal
    (Note this method only works for 1 arm/disarm cycle)

If you can not get into this menu (or if there is also a tamper condition)then find the cable you cut & on the side which goes to the panel try short red to black & blue to yellow.
    If your code does not have those basic privledges it may be worth your while getting an engineer to call & get that sorted included in the call out.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bigbru

Thanks Koolkid, I'll give that a go tonight, and let you know how I got on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

It would be quite easy to fix yourself. If you inhibit a zone you then have no protection from that zone.

To fix it yourself (and save some money):

If you have cut a red wire: strip back the insulation about 20mm either side of the cut. Twist the strands together tightly. Put insulation tape over the join to ensure that id does not short with anything.

If you have cut any other wire repeat the process described above until all wires are fixed.

Hey presto! Now your alarm works just like before!

If the alarm goes off at any stage simply enter the user code.

The above solution will work on a temporary basis at worst, at best it could work forever. To do it properly you could solder all of the joins an cover with heat shrink. You will get every thing you need in most electrical wholesalers or Maplins.

There is no shock risk in doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

If you have cut a red wire: strip back the insulation about 20mm either side of the cut. Twist the strands together tightly. Put insulation tape over the join to ensure that id does not short with anything.
    This is not the way to do it. It will cause false alarms for sure.
    To do it properly you could solder all of the joins

This is 100% correct and joins should be done in a juction box too.

This is not the way to do it.
    On a permanent basis you are quite correct. That is why I said:
    The above solution will work on a temporary basis at worst
    It will cause false alarms for sure.
    I have done this, it works!

This procedure is just to get someone out of a hole if they have no proper tools and want to get the alarm working asap. Then do a proper job once the correct tools are at hand as I described above.

• Advertisement

I have done this, it works!
    It will work for a while but any joins twisted together will eventually cause problems. I always do things properly first time and will recommend the same.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

This is not the way to do it. It will cause false alarms for sure.

This is 100% correct and joins should be done in a juction box too.

Correct on both counts...
    Stripping cables back & tape joining is very unprofessional & would not comply with any of the standards:eek:.Fredfunk is correct, all junctions must be tamper protected.
    The original poster was requesting how to inhibit a zone. I am sure he is aware that inhibiting a zone leaves it off. But as he is getting electrical work done shortly I am sure he intends to get the job done professionally by an electrician or an engineer.
    Bigbru follow the instructions in my original reply. DO NOT tape join anything!! A series of false alarms is worse than having a couple of windows inhibited. There is more than likely a PiR somewhere to back up that inhibited area

It will work for a while but any joins twisted together will eventually cause problems
    Exactly.
    I always do things properly first time
    Me too, if I have everything I need to hand to do the ideal repair.

In general people who do not normally do electrical work do not have ideal tools and ideal materials to hand. In this case improvised solution is best in the short term.

The "preferred" solution is also explainded.

The best advice to the OP is listen to the professional advice here..
    Myself & fredfunk are professional engineers..Our advice is Under no circumstances use tape joins on any alarm system
    If the OP does not have the tools to do the job correctly then the best advice is to inhibit the zone untill it is possible to repair it properly. (Thats what he asked for after all!!)
    A false alarming system is worse than a partially working system.

fishdog wrote: »
    Exactly.

Me too, if I have everything I need to hand to do the ideal repair.

In general people who do not normally do electrical work do not have ideal tools and ideal materials to hand. In this case improvised solution is best in the short term.

The "preferred" solution is also explainded.

I know a lot of people don't have the necessary tools for repairs but if somebody asks a question on how to fix/repair something they should be told how to do it properly or if they are not able to do it they should get a professional to do it and not do some half hearted attempt that will cause problems further down the line after all a soldering iron is very cheap.

I'm sure if someone asks you a question on electrics you would only recommend to do the job properly first time.

• Advertisement

Unfortunatley the correct answer on a DIY forum may not always be to call a “professional” and therfore may not always be revenue generating.

There is no point in “shooting the messenger” just because there is a recission.

My last word on the matter, sorry :(

fishdog wrote: »
    Unfortunatley the correct answer on a DIY forum may not always be to call a “professional”

The DIY forum????:confused: I thought this was the Electrical forum & The DIY forum was here. .
    Somtimes the only solution is to call a professional.
    So would you advice somone to tape join a 6 sq cable just because there is a recession??
    Why do you fell the need to hijack every alarm related thread anyway fishdog????
    With that advice you have cleary shown you are not competant in relation to alarm systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bigbru

Ok, I tried to inhibit the zone. Problem is when I try the normal alarm code, I get 'system arming' then the 'open zone' message and I can go no further.
    I found the original manual, and tried the 'default operator code' and the 'default engineer code' and both of those are coming back with 'access denied'...

Splicing and joining and soldering wires is not an option I'm afraid, cos I'll only make a balls of it...

Are you in Dublin?
    PM me if you want me to take a look at it for you

Advertisement