Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL Irish

Options
  • 06-04-2009 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

My Irish teacher is so disorganised that at this stage, besides the mocks, we haven't even looked at the exam layout, let alone an exam question. We're not finished the course and she just spent since we came back after Christmas til now on oral - I did really well (I think...) in my oral, but we haven't got a clue what to do with the rest of the course.

I'm reasonably sorted for paper one, as that mainly comes down to your actual Irish. Paper two is a different story altogether! According to the corrector of my mock, my main problem is that my answers are too short. How long are your answers for the filiocht/prós? And what kind of way would you time the questions? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Redbhoy

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Redbhoy

I dont suppose if anyone would know if the stories and poems on HL Irish are available anywhere in audio format?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I find it hard to remember in the actual exam how long you're supposed to spend on each part, so our teacher said go by a minute a mark...the marks are written on the paper, so theres no need to remember it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

Redbhoy wrote: »
    I dont suppose if anyone would know if the stories and poems on HL Irish are available anywhere in audio format?

Try youtube you'd be surprised what you'll find! lol:D

does everyone agree that one of the essays will probably be about the economic crisis??? it seems the most obvious thing. any1 any reasons why not??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭jkbrackens11

Heard the recession is the most likely essay alright....any other ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

Poverty at home or in the world/third world. Maybe a broad title like "bochtanas" or possible "tá deireadh le ré an tairgead". Basically you can talk about or bring in the recession here.
    I doubt very much that they will actually title an essay "an cúlú" or the likes. The oral examiners were specifically told not to ask about it unless you brought it up afaik in case your parents were let off or whatever. Can be a touchy subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

[quote=[Deleted User];59947978]does everyone agree that one of the essays will probably be about the economic crisis??? it seems the most obvious thing. any1 any reasons why not??[/QUOTE]

because the papers were made last year before the recession really kicked in
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Aren't the papers set in November? There's was loads of media coverage on the recession even then, sure they were going on about it all through the Summer as well... And the budget wouldn't have been far off at that stage (the original one, not the mini one). I wouldn't rule it out as a possibility

I wouldn't say they'll put it up as recession, but I'd say there will definitely be something there you could sort of twist into a recession essay. I'd still be learning off/learning vocab for others too, but I don't think it'd do any harm to have a decent recession style essay too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 aguaclara

does anyone where you can buy dréimire magazine, asap? i've tried googling it but no joy. thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

aguaclara wrote: »
    does anyone where you can buy dréimire magazine, asap? i've tried googling it but no joy. thanks!

I dont think you can buy it, tbh, we get it in class but we paid for it in september.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭jkbrackens11

Anyone any idea about the nature in the poem Jack? Have a question for the weekend but really don't know where to start. 2007 question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 movingsheepdip

study the bag outta 'an bhean og'......its guaranteed;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭IWishh

No they were written when the recession was big news.

My grinds teacher told me that the recession is likely to be coming up, except that theyre not going to write it so blatently like "An Culu" because then youre asking for thousands of pre-learnt essays since everyone will do it.
    So they might ask it in a really round-about, obscure way, seeing who knows what they're getting at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cheezeplz

Fad wrote: »
    I dont think you can buy it, tbh, we get it in class but we paid for it in september.

How much did you have to pay for it??

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭3_BOoYA_X

cheezeplz wrote: »
    How much did you have to pay for it??

Its a score. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭happy_feet

im writing about 2 pages for my poetry/pros! doing about 3 for my novel!

we have finished the whole course and are just revising - all my teacher says is to keep writing :) got 73% in my mock so keep writing but dont waffle....make sure its to the point :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭LL92

For poetry I answer the question by giving my opinion and then backing it up with evidence from the poem. (Know the English translation of all the poems before the exam, makes it way easier to understand the poem, understand what you're being asked and use suitable quotes.)
    I go through the entire poem and show how my opinion is right. Eg. for príomhmothúchán, you would say the main feeling is X, and this is shown when the poet says......
    Then I explain thoroughly how the poet uses techniques, i.e íomhánna, meafair, siombailí, codarsnacht, íoróin, friotal, dúlra, you know them all :p
    to show the main feeling. Let's say the main feeling is uaigneas (loneliness), you would say he uses lonely images, language, etc. and give quotes. That would fill a good 3 pages, but you don't need that much. See how your timing goes.

For prose, it's pretty much the same thing. Make sure you answer the question that you understand fully. Go through the story from start to finish, pointing out where X is shown. After every paragraph you write, read the question again to make sure you're sticking to the point. The marking scheme is complete opposite to the essay. You only get a few (less than 10) percent for your actual Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cheezeplz

3_BOoYA_X wrote: »
    Its a score. :)

What does that mean?? I wanna know how much you have to pay 4 it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Flecktarn

cheezeplz wrote: »
    What does that mean?? I wanna know how much you have to pay 4 it..

Eh €20......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Bradence93!

Is anybody else not doing an trial for the second section in paper 2 or any of the set stories ect????:confused:

if so what are you doing????

Advertisement