Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roll your own - abroad

Options
  • 06-04-2009 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

Hi guys

what is the rules on bringing ammo into the country? I have the option to reload at a friend of mine's so could make ammo there (or he could) and then bring it home into the country. Has anybody ever tried this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

So far as I know, there's no stipulation that only commercially loaded ammo can be used within the state, so as long as the reloading isn't taking place here, and as long as you have authority to possess the ammo in both jurisdictions an carry it between them, I don't see a problem really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

an article 7 import permit also perhaps??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Are they permitted to reload in northern Ireland or is the maximum caliber allowed still the hornet unless they have a deer license? Thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

When did N.Ireland ever have a maximum calibre rule?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

kay 9 wrote: »
    Are they permitted to reload in northern Ireland or is the maximum caliber allowed still the hornet unless they have a deer license? Thanks:)

They are flat out reloading in the north!..and theyre access to bigger calibres is pretty much the same as here..and they also pistol shoot with all classes of pistols..its us thats behind..not them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

lordarpad wrote: »

what is the rules on bringing ammo into the country?

Well you can buy it up north and they don't go messing with export/import paperwork, just your licence.

I mean who's going to know it's reloaded anyway? And I mean this in a pragmatic, real world way, not in an irresponsible law-breaking way.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭freddieot

I could be wrong but I'm fairly certain sure you need an Article 11. A visitor's permit to NI only allows you to buy, possess and use in NI, it's not an export authorisation of any kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

freddieot wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I'm fairly certain sure you need an Article 11. A visitor's permit to NI only allows you to buy, possess and use in NI, it's not an export authorisation of any kind.

Article 7 is for personal import. Article 11 is for importation by a dealer on behalf of a client. At least that's as far as I'm aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

IWM is correct, an Article 7 (issued by the Gardai) is for importing your own ammunition from up North, Article 11 (issued by the DoJ) is for dealers to import. You still need your licence down here and your visitors permit up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭freddieot

That makes sense Sparks but someone should inform the DOJ then as they issued several Article 11s to me after I clearly explained what I wanted to do. (several years ago of course).

I think shooters are not the only ones confused about the old 7/11 story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Sparks wrote: »
    When did N.Ireland ever have a maximum calibre rule?
    Sparks, I lived in fermanagh for 2 years and used to shoot with the uncle and the biggest calibre he was allowed was a hornet. maybe I mis-interpeted him, so please feel free to correct me. I was just giving what I thought was fact;)

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭lordarpad

Article 7 is for personal import. Article 11 is for importation by a dealer on behalf of a client. At least that's as far as I'm aware.
    let's look it up - Article 7/11 of which law?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

kay 9 wrote: »
    Sparks, I lived in fermanagh for 2 years and used to shoot with the uncle and the biggest calibre he was allowed was a hornet. maybe I mis-interpeted him, so please feel free to correct me. I was just giving what I thought was fact;)

That would have been entirely down to the use he specified for the rifle and the land he was going to shoot over. All other criteria fullfilled, the PSNI has no trouble at all licencing bigger calibers when you demonstrate a need for them like for example a .270 for deer hunting or a .308 for target shooting.

Advertisement