Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corned Beef and Cabbage

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

26/08 Muay Thai

Shadowboxing 3mins*3

Padwork 101:
    Right Leg Kicks 2 mins
    Left leg Kicks 2 mins
    Right Body Kick 2 mins
    Left Body kick 2 mins
    Right and Left Elbows 2 mins
    Upward Elbows 2 mins

Shadow Boxing 3mins*3 followed by 20 pressups/situps/squats

Padwork 201: 3mins*5

Sparring 3mins*5

Old school martial arts stretching

Sparred Paddy in my last round and he floored me with a right hook. I landed a decent kick to the body but dropped my left and he landed it plum, down i went like a five dollar hooker. I'd like to say i got back up and kicked the sh1t out of him but alas this is the real world. I got back up and we finished the round though. I havent been floored in a very long time and it was nice. Great class, cant wait for S2 strength tomorrow followed by two and a half hours of jits with Barry sans cast.

27/08 BJJ

101: Guard work
    -knees to chest and feet on hips
    -feet on hips or hooked under legs or a combo of both
    -wall walk drilling
    -sit out

201:

Rolling 5mins*2

Technique: establish underhook, sitout, when villian posts, triangle

Rolling 5mins*4

Good class, especially the wall walk which i suck balls at but will work on. In order news i let a ripper while rolling tonight, how embarassing!

29/08 Conditioning C2

Warmup: Mobility and Stability

Prowler Push: 10mins 40kg, 15 metres down and back = 1 rep
    Completed 11 reps in 10 mins.

Workblock 1: 10 mins
    - 3 Trap Bar Deadlift 80kg
    - 3 Pullups (band assisted)
    - 10 pressups
    Completed 12 reps

Prowler Push: 10mins 40kg
    Completed 10 hard hard reps

Workblock 2: 10 mins
    - 5 stepups each leg
    - 5 DB shoulder press (each arm) 17.5kgs
    - 3 Barbell Rows 60kg
    Completed 16 reps.

Static Stretch

Im not getting much sleep these days and think this is effecting me, i am happy with today nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Today was uber cool. Lots of people doing their thing in different ways.

Roper wrote: »
    Today was uber cool. Lots of people doing their thing in different ways.

Yeah it was, everybody just got in and did their thing. I like the way it worked (the dynamic was just right :pac:)

• Advertisement

31/08

Strength S1

Mobility and Stability warmup

Box Squats
    50*8
    70*8
    100*5
    110*5
    120*5
    130*5*2

Single Leg Squats 10 each leg*2, i did this by mistake when i should have been doing Single leg deadlifts :pac:

Single leg DL's 20kgs 4*8 each leg

DB Situps 20kg

Bench Press
    50*8
    60*8
    70*5*2
    80*5*3

Inverted Rows 5*10

DB Windmills 3*10 each side 17.5 kgs

Bicep Hammer Curls :pac: 20kgs 4*12

Muay Thai

6*3mins Padwork
    6*3mins bagwork

Very tired tonight and my shins hurt from the heavy bag. Forgot my groin guard so no Jits or Sparring. My first time doing box squats also so i really took my time.

01/09 Conditioning C1

Warmup: Mobility and Stability

Prowler Push: 10mins 40kg, 15 metres each way = 1 rep
    10 reps, no problems, going to up the weight for my next session.

Workblock 1: 15 mins
    - 5 Lunges each leg
    - 10 Pressups
    - 10 Barbell Rows 50kg
    12 reps completed

Prowler Push: 10mins 40kg
    10 reps, tired but good

Workblock 2: 15 mins
    - 10 box jumps
    - 10 DB Floor Press 20kg bells
    - 10 DB Rows each arm 17.5kg
    10 reps

Static Stretch

MMA 101: Bottom Position
    - Arm on bicep to stop strike
    - Popcorn mini spaz to get underhook
    - Pop hips out, trap ankle and tap knee and move to opposite side control

- Arm on bicep, spaz underhook
    - Homer Simpson walk to escape headlock

Conditioing session ave changed for sept (just as i was getting used to it but i guess thats the idea). Good session tonight, im really puttting in the work on the conditioning. I can see the results in terms of my fitness when it comes to sparring, padwork and the prowler (which i now love), hopefully the weight will start coming down a bit quicker.

02/09 Muay Thai

Shadowboxing 9mins

Strikeshield drilling:
    -Back to ropes 2mins right teep
    -Back to ropes 2mins left teep
    -Back to ropes 2mins both teeps
    -Back to ropes clinch, two knees, change position, two knees 2mins*2

Skipping 3mins*3 with Interval sprints

Padwork 201: 3mins*5

Good class. Feeling a bit rundown so im gonna get a good night sleep and also leave my C2 conditioing until Friday. Jits tomorrow though is unmissable.

03/09 Strength S1

Straight Bar Deadlift
    60*8
    100*8
    130*5
    140*5
    150*5
    160*3
    170*3

Reverse Hypers
    3*10 60kgs

Fitter Bridging * 35secs/35secs/45secs

ChinUps (assisted)
    8*2
    5*5

Break for Jits

Jits 101 Drilling:
    -wall walking
    -maintaining knee on belly
    -choke from knee on belly

Jits 201 Rolling:
    5mins*6

Back to S1

Military Press
    Bar*12
    40*8
    45*8
    50*5
    55*5
    60*5

Plate Rotations 15kg*10 each direction *3

Lying Tricep Extensions
    Bar*8
    40kg*8*3

Gotta work on the wall walking drill, really have to get that hip going around in order to get better at Jits. Rolled with Gareth who crushed me by placing his on my stenum. learning lots which sounds ghey but is good. :pac:

Humourous example of hypocrisy below

mgu0141l.jpg

My own hypocrisy knows no bounds especially where food is concerned. I always make it to three o clock before i fail and then im good again until the next day. Gotta get better

Good tip from a Dan John book I'm reading. "I will break my diet tomorrow but not today". The idea being that your willpower will always be stronger in the morning. I'm looking forward to seeing him when he's over.

Sorry I think I just got your log locked :)

• Advertisement

Roper wrote: »
    Good tip from a Dan John book I'm reading. "I will break my diet tomorrow but not today". The idea being that your willpower will always be stronger in the morning. I'm looking forward to seeing him when he's over.

Sorry I think I just got your log locked :)

LOL, i actually didnt know Dan John was coming over. I was going to ask if i could borrow that book when you are finito.

Killme00 wrote: »
    LOL, i actually didnt know Dan John was coming over. I was going to ask if i could borrow that book when you are finito.
    He's over on Stephen's Day and the 27th of December would you believe. Crazy timing but he's a teacher by trade so those were the only dates. The book is Dan's so you'll have to ask him I just started reading it during my breakfast this morning (which I had in the boxing ring).

I've mentioned Dan and Dan John now so I think yes your log will now be locked.

Muay Thai

3*3min skipping
    Sparring 3*3mins, Paddy wanted to do 12 rounds so we alternated and i did the second, fifth and eight rounds with him. I got destroyed, he kicked the legs off me during my second round and then the body off me for the third round. he landed a nice head kick during the first round but thankfully it wasnt powerful and was a gentle reminder to keep my hands up.

Team Conditioning

Prowler Race: Team Man Meat 40kg (myself, colin, barry and steven) vs Team Amanda 20kg (amanda). The goal was do do ten reps each with the prowler and hopefully beat Amanda. We each completed our ten reps but Amanda won.

Workblock A: 15mins
    - 30secs Bench press 50kg
    - 30secs pressups
    - 30secs punchouts (1,2 combo)
    - 30secs holding pads
    - 30 secs rest
    REPEAT

Prowler Race: Team Man Meat 40kg (myself, colin, barry and steven) vs Team Amanda 20kg (amanda). We each completed our ten reps each in just over 8mins but Amanda still won.

Workblock B: 15mins
    - 30secs Squat 60kg
    - 30secs box jumps
    - 30 secs kicks
    - 30secs holding pads
    - 30 secs rest
    REPEAT

Stretching

Great session this morning, i am seeing a mega improvement on the prowler.

07/09 Strenght S1

Box Squats
    70*8*2
    120*5
    130*5
    140*5

Single Leg DL
    20kg*10*3 each leg

DB Situps
    20kg*20*3

Cut short to do Jits, was supposed to finish at 9 but never stopped Jits, will have to finish it off tomorrow after C2

Jiu Jitsu 101:
    -Drilling Side Control Holding and Escaping
    -Kimura finish from side control
    -Straight armbar finish from SC
    -Kimura (winkle!) finish when villian grabs short

Jiu Jitsu 201:
    -Rolling 3mins*3
    -armbar finish from side control
    -Rolling 6mins*6

I need to have more of a gameplan when i am rolling with people. I have fallen into a routine of just rolling to get the tap rather than rolling to get better and expand my limited game. Had a disasterous moment when rolling with Grant when i decided to use the wall walk to retain my guard when he tried to pass from standing, needless to say we ended with me in bottom of north south :D. Really enjoying training lately.

09/09 Muay Thai

3*3min Shadow Boxing concentrating on footwork

3min drills:
    - Right hook to body
    - Left hook to body
    - Right hook to body, left kick to head
    - Left hook to body, right kick to head

3*3min shadow boxing with 20 situps, pressup and squats between rounds

3min combat sparring rounds
    - Blocking leg kicks
    - Blocking jab and cross
    - Blocking hooks to head or moving
    - Blocking combos

3min sparring*3

10/09

Conditioning C2

Mobility and Stability Warmup

Prowler Push 15m 40kg 10min
    12 reps completed nicely

Workblock A: 15 mins
    - 5 Lateral step ups each leg
    - 3 BW Dips
    - 3 Pullups (assisted grey band)
    Completed 13 reps

13 reps horsed out of it

BJJ:
    Standing Guard Passes
    -Grip Pants and step to opposite hip while switching grip, settle into side control. Make sure to control the pants until settled into side control
    -Countering x guard. Keep hold of gi pant and take hold of other leg, settle back and pass to the opposite side. Keep hold of the pants until you have settled.
    -When elevating to pass, elevate grab belt or back of pants and pass with knee around to hip and settle down.

Rolling: 7mins ISH * 8

Really good class. When rolling i tried to have a little gameplan in my head rather than just randomly going for subs and i think it worked quite well for (although there were some times i did randomly go for stuff). I must be the noisiest guy in the gym becasue i am always moaning and groaning, rolling Anais i got a really bad cramp in my left leg, rolling with Andy my wrist got trapped while being swept and i reckon i nearly broke it, rolling with Grant my cup pinched my nuts in half guard and i howled like a slapped step child. Anyway its all a learning process and im happy with how its going.

Saturday 12/09

Team Conditioning

Prowler Push 25m each way 40kgs *10

Workblock 15mins:
    3 Pullups (assisted)
    10 pushups
    8 lunges

Rolling with Barry 10 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I finish work in November, thinking of spending a month hard at the gym along with a beginners class in BJJ. How do you find BJJ as a workout? Want to get into decent shape and don't want to spend loads of time at BJJ at the expensive of gym work outs, if its not a decent work out. At least not until i'm in beter shape.

Mellor wrote: »
    I finish work in November, thinking of spending a month hard at the gym along with a beginners class in BJJ. How do you find BJJ as a workout? Want to get into decent shape and don't want to spend loads of time at BJJ at the expensive of gym work outs, if its not a decent work out. At least not until i'm in beter shape.

You'll find Jits very tough at the start because you'll be using entirely different muscles than you have ever used before. It will improve your fitness in that regard but there are better ways to get fit. So basically you need to decide what your priority is, learning Jits or getting fit. I prefer Jits and couldnt go without it these days but I also do Conditioning sessions to help my fitness. If I had to choose between strength, conditioing, muay thai or jits then I would choose Jits but thankfully I don’t have to choose.

See, I ant to learn Jits, more so than Muay Thai. Strength isn't a huge issue at the minute.
    But my main goal is weight loss still. So i'm hoping that jits will be tough enough so that it means i'll be burning similar calories to a gym session. Not wholely interested with fitness aspect, mostly calories in vrs calories out still

• Advertisement

Monday 13/09 Jits

Drills:
    -Passing/Retaining guard feet on hips
    -double leg takedown when villians backs away too much
    -sitout
    -Passing (just pass)/Guard (sweep, sitout or submit)

Barry announced that Robert Drysdale is coming over for some seminars in October, this news really got the electricity in the room firing before we rolled.

We rolled for ten or eleven five monute rounds. I am working on my bottom half guard but am having a little trouble getting my hips/shoulders off the floor when I am being crushed. I setup a few nice sweeps and followed them up by getting in good positions for the subs. One mistake I am making frequently is giving up the far arm for kimuras, I am defending them a lot of the time but I would rather not get myself in that position in the first place. I think this is primarly because of the position I take on bottom half guard so I need to work on getting my hip/shoulder off the floor to get a better defensive position and then take advantage when the villian tries to flatten me out again (Barry does this really well when rolling with me), whether that’s by shrimping back to guard or sweeping.

Mellor wrote: »
    See, I ant to learn Jits, more so than Muay Thai. Strength isn't a huge issue at the minute.
    But my main goal is weight loss still. So i'm hoping that jits will be tough enough so that it means i'll be burning similar calories to a gym session. Not wholely interested with fitness aspect, mostly calories in vrs calories out still

If its purely about calories then there are more efficient ways to burn them. If its enjoyment while burning calories then Jits is a great way to do it.

Its twenty to two and the insomnia has kicked in for week methinks. I might as well update now.

After work i drilled some full and half guard passes with a friend of mine for an hour. He is recovering from back operation which means he can do everything except Jits for the next while. It was a nice little bit of work and i think him drilling from top helped me figure out a few little things about base.

Conditioning C1

Mobiltiy and Stability warmup

Prowler Push 15m each way 60kgs
    Upping the weight to make it harder was such a bad idea. I finished the ten reps but i did go over the alloted ten minutes and finished in 10m45s.

Workblock A: 15 mins
    -10 lunges 15kg (5 each leg)
    -10 Barbell rows 40kg
    -10 pushups
    I finished 13 reps. The pushups are getting easier but the lunges are getting harder because i am trying to go deeper.

I ended my C1 session there and will have to do the second prowler push and workblock tomorrow before Thai.

MMA:
    Drilling 3min rounds: Partner had strike shield.
    -Striking from inside guard, standing up and contolling the feet striking, passing the open guard to knee on belly and striking
    -Holding the strike shield for partner trying to prevent strikes, feet on hips when they stand to stop them getting in to strike
    -Striking from inside guard and standing. This time partner can sweep as well as control my arms to stop striking
    -Spastic Duck!! When standing up from guard, pinch knee together to stop partner getting feet on hips, follow them as the post away and strike. Stay on toes.

Sparring: 3 mins
    - Big gloves *1. I need head movement and have to keep my goddamn hands up.
    - MMA Sparring gloves and headgear* 2. Again need head movement and need to work on striking cleanly and committing to the takedown. Need to ask if arm across throat leaves me open for a head and arm choke, i think this might be a stupid question because i am either in side control or half guard, it might be a danger from half guard though.

All in all an excellent night. I really felt the pace when drilling the strikes but managed to control my breathing when sparring.

You can really see the shift towards more and more MMA work over the last few weeks.
    First it was gym did X, Jits Y, MT Z, but now MMA appears to be taking centre stage, conditioning sessions, splitting jits session down further, ditto for MT,
    Looks good,

I think i'll give it ago for a month when I finish up here, keep up 3 or 4 days in the gym, plus 2 days jits, 5 or 6 days a week for a month will be a decent push, then its off to thailand for a few weeks

21/09

I havent trained since last Wednesday due to a cold/manflu so that made pusing the prowler even harder (the extra weight didnt help).

Conditioning C2

Mobility and Stability Warmup

Prowler Push 15m 60kg 10min
    10 reps completed with just 10 seconds to spare (9m50s)

Workblock B: 15 mins
    - 5 Squats 70kg
    - 5 Inverted Rows
    - 5 DB shoulder press 15kg DB's
    Completed 9 reps.

Dropped the weight back to 40kg because I was really gassing and completed 11 reps in the ten mins.

- 5 Lateral step ups each leg
    - 3 BW Dips
    - 3 Pullups (assisted green/grey band)
    Completed 9 reps, tough going on the pullups. I dropped the assitance to a green bad for five circuits and then finished the last four with the bigger grey band.

BJJ Technique:
    - posturing up when head pulled down. Knee in ass, sit back, push arm up and pop head out the gap
    - releasing the arm trapped by overhook. Control opposite arm, block hip, cant remember what next paert is called but it looks like a self kimura and the arm pops inside.
    - breaking the guard. Posture up, control hips, elbows on inside, knee on ass and sit back
    - double under pass. When guard opens, both arms under and grab hips, pull hips up and sprawl/stack up. Arm across to opposite shoulder blade and turn hips.

Rolling: 5min rnds*3

Technique:
    - break guard -> combat base -> knee slides across inside of thigh -> opponent tries to get knee in -> take knee and switch sides to settle into side control
    - break guard -> combat base -> knee slides across inside of thigh -> opponent tries to get knee in and stops you switching sides -> back leg around opposite side and settle into side contol

Rolling: 5min rnds*6

Strength S1

Box squat
    60*8*2
    80*5
    100*5
    110*5*2
    120*5

Single Leg DL *10*3 each leg (20kg DB)
    DB situps *20*3 (10Kg plate)

Bench
    40*8*2
    60*5
    70*5
    80*5*2
    85*5*2

Inverted Rows *10*5
    DB Windmills *10*3 each side (10kg DB)
    DB Bicep Curls *10*4 each arm (20kg DB's)

MMA:
    Pummeling 3mins*3
    Pummel to Takedown *3mins
    Wrestling in the ring 3mins*2
    Sparring 3mins*1

24/09 BJJ

Drills: 5min rounds*4 (3 out, winner stays on)
    -guard passing from standing
    -guard passing from close guard
    -guard pass from butterfly
    -guard pass from choice of spider or half guard

Technique:
    Passing the spider guard: Close knees, overhook feet, sprawl and push knees to side, switch around and settle into half guard

Rolling:
    5mins*5
    5 mins res
    5mins*6

28/09 Morning session

Conditioing C1

Prowler Push 15m 60kg 10min (10 reps)

- 10 Barbell rows 50kg
    - 10 Pushups
    - 10 lunges (5/5) 16kg Kettlebells
    10 reps completed

Prowler Push 15m 40kg 10min (10 reps)

- 10 Box Jumps
    - 10 DB Floor Presses 15kgs
    - 10 DB Rows (5/5) 15 kgs
    10 reps completed

Worn out from the weekends merriment.

• Advertisement

28/09 BJJ

Drills:
    - escaping the mount

Technique:
    Escaping the mount, grab shorts/gi, bridge high and tuck feet under for butterfly guard

Rolling:
    5mins*6

Technique: Escaping high mount

5mins*6

Advertisement