Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Andrews at Right Back...?

• 06-04-2009 11:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭

Feels a bit like when you start a game of Championship Manager from the Conference and agonise over positioning and selection of the pedestrian journeymen you have at your disposal ;)

I joke of course but thought it was worth noting that Keith Andrews started at right back for Blackburn in the last two games.

IMO Andrews has been alot better than Gibson and a bit better than Whelan in midfield for Ireland but given the weakness we've shown at right back with Kelly and McShane (setting aside O'Shea's stint in there against 10 man Italy) could this be an option?

If you agree that Andrews has been stronger than even one of Whelan or Gibson, it would mean slightly weakening the midfield but possibly suring up a weak area of defence. Ideally, Whelan and/or Gibson would pick up a bit of form and reduce the impact taking Andrews out of midfield would have. Either way you look at it it's not exactly an embarassment of riches but could make all the difference when you consider the recent goals we've conceded due to errors on the right side - (McShane/Keogh & Kelly).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

If it was up to me I'd put Rory Delap at right back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Xavi6 wrote: »

I like Delap but Andrews is a fair bit more mobile than him and might be more suited to the low-on-quality, high-on-pace wingers that the lower teams in our Group have.

Andrews did well on Modric and also Lennon the odd time they swapped over on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think Delap at RB would be good. He's better than McShane and he'd give us another attacking option.

Then I think Andrews/Whelen with Gibson is the way to go, a bit of passing ability is really desperately needed. That is of course until S. Reid or possibly Ireland return and take Gibson's place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Foley!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If Andrews plays right back regularly between now and the end of the season, and Whelan and Gibson are fit for the Sofia trip then it's a simple selection for me.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    If Andrews plays right back regularly between now and the end of the season, and Whelan and Gibson are fit for the Sofia trip then it's a simple selection for me.

You'd have a makeshift RB there ahead of a natural RB who plays regularly? :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

When Stephen Reid hopefully comes back in the Autumn, I would definitely play Andrews at right full.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Mgoraf wrote: »

There is nothing natural about Paul McShane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Mgoraf wrote:
    Foley!?

+1 for sure.

Was Foley in the squad for the recent qualifiers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Andrews best position = left-back in the dressing room

end of.

• Advertisement

Vokes wrote: »
    +1 for sure.

Was Foley in the squad for the recent qualifiers?

On the bench v Italy anyway.

I'd have a guy playing a position week in, week out in the Premiership ahead of a guy playing a position week in, week out in the Championship. Yes.
    redout wrote: »
    Andrews best position = left-back in the dressing room

end of.

Awesome. Because we have absolutely fierce competition for places at the moment, huh?

Frisbee wrote: »
    There is nothing natural about Paul McShane.
    But there is about Kevin Foley ;)

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    I'd have a guy playing a position week in, week out in the Premiership ahead of a guy playing a position week in, week out in the Championship. Yes
    Is he not only playing there because of injury though? I'd still disagree anyway, Wolves are up at the top of the Championship and he's been their regular RB for a couple of seasons. He should be ahead of Andrews in the RB spot imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

IMO Andrews has been alot better than Gibson and a bit better than Whelan in midfield for Ireland

Andrews and Gibson are two different types of midfielders. Andrews is a big no nonsense, make it awkward for any oppostion kind of a player, which he is very goo at. As for footballing ability I think Gibson wins this one, he has a good range of intelligent passing as well as possessing a great strike on the ball too-something we need in our midfield. As for Whelan- I dont think the stats lie, against Italy he had the most completed passes as well as most tackles made (baring in mind we had 66% of the ball-ie even the Italians who had more opportunities to tackle didnt get as many as Whelan did)

For these reasons I would play Whelan and Gibson together while we are without S Reid and , well Ireland...

Andrews seemed to have done well over the weekend at RB, if he gets a few more games there I think he could be a very real option to put in there against Bulgaria, should Finnan remain out.

Is he not only playing there because of injury though? I'd still disagree anyway, Wolves are up at the top of the Championship and he's been their regular RB for a couple of seasons. He should be ahead of Andrews in the RB spot imo.

I'd assume he is. Though, as I noted in my first post, thoughts of playing him in Sofia would be reliant on him continuing to fill that role for the remainder of the year...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I'd much rather keep Andrews in the middle and play Foley, he's going to be playing PL next season and he is good enough.

Also, Ste Kelly is much better than McShane, **** up a few weeks ago aside, he has been great for Ireland when he has played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,135 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Xavi6 wrote: »

He should be in the squad at the very least - his throw-ins are a weapon that no other international team has, and as a player he's no worse than some of the guys who are making the squad. To ignore him completely is daft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

When do ye guys see Foley play? if im honest, ive hardly never seen a wolves match!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

When do ye guys see Foley play? if im honest, ive hardly never seen a wolves match!
    They're on Sky Sports in a few minutes. :)

Not so long ago there was a thread on a televised Wolves match and Foley was motm. He was a regular for our U21s too. I can't believe how unknown he is in Ireland though considering how many call ups he has. He's regarded as the best right back in the league by pretty much everyone.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    They're on Sky Sports in a few minutes. :)

Not so long ago there was a thread on a televised Wolves match and Foley was motm. He was a regular for our U21s too. I can't believe how unknown he is in Ireland though considering how many call ups he has. He's regarded as the best right back in the league by pretty much everyone.

Part of the problem is that he has not even been given a decent go in a friendly. I'd personally be wary of lashing him into the team for some big away qualifier. However, if he cut his teeth in a friendly first then great.

That's all down to Trap though and he's not much of an experimenter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Yeh, would love to see Foley get a starting berth for the Nigeria game but Trap will probably just start the eleven he intends to start against Bulgaria a few days later.

Advertisement