Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spirited away

Options
  • 06-04-2009 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

I finally watched it last night after two years of procrastination-I owned the DVD but never bothered watching it. Wow,it was great. Sort of like a Japanese Alice in wonderland. The dubbing was great too. Can anyone recommend me something like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Have you seen any of the other Studio Ghibli movies? If not then do, they are all great but some people have their own favourites. If i could recommend a few id say Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, Nausicaa Valley of the Winds or Kiki's Delivery Service. Pretty much any of the ghibli movies i have watched had fantastic dubbing and voice acting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Tuwoa

if you havent seen Howls moving castle id suggest it, Paprika is another great movie but I'm not sure if its dubbed

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

I just watched Spirited Away last week from some recomendations on here. I really enjoyed it. Interesting story and it looks fantastic. I'm trying to get my hands on a few other Ghibli movies as i've only seen that and My Neighbour Totoro from them so far.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I went to see the subtitled version in the kino cinema in cork when it first came out and thought it was brilliant :).A master piece if I do say so.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

watch them all. prepare to amazed by all but one of them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

I bought Spirited Away in january... anad onnly watched it couple of weeks ago! What a mistake!! (waiting so long) Amazing film.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

Spirited away is an amazing film but my favourite Studio Ghibli film is Howl's Moving Castle. Fantastic piece of work!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Great movie alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

I've sat down to watch Spirited Away a billion times now with my daughter and it never gets old or boring :) It really is such a fantastic movie. Kiki's Delivery Service is another great movie to watch if you enjoyed Spirited Away. Quality voice acting as well, on a par with Spirited Away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭appleidog

Studio Ghibli Is the best Japanese Animation Company, Not none of this Dragon ball crap, metal alchemist crap. They are a Animation company in the true sense the only company that equal them are Pixar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Prime32

appleidog wrote: »
    Not none of this Dragon ball crap, metal alchemist crap.
    Are you comparing Dragonball to Fullmetal Alchemist? Because that's an odd comparison, and FMA's animation is a lot better than DBZ's.
    (Have you seen the original or the new one?)

You can't really expect the animation of a series to match that of a high-budget movie though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Zerroth

Everything about FMA is better than DBZ. And as was said, entierly different animes.

Anything by Studio Ghibli is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

Zerroth wrote: »
    Anything by Studio Ghibli is great.

No, anything by studio ghibli is not great.

Everything they make will be very well drawn, and some of their movies are amazing, but tales from earthsea... pure poopie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

gearoidof wrote: »
    No, anything by studio ghibli is not great.

Everything they make will be very well drawn, and some of their movies are amazing, but tales from earthsea... pure poopie

To be fair, that wasn't Hayao Miyazaki, but Gorō Miyazakii, his nephew.

...and yes, pure crap.

I know, hayao miyazaki is rumoured to be on poor terms with his son over that venture.

hayao miyazaki and takahata are what make ghibli more than just pretty picture makers.

But they've still let goro work on another film >.< it annoys me that it'll sell despite being crap, just because of the name

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

gearoidof wrote: »
    I know, hayao miyazaki is rumoured to be on poor terms with his son over that venture.

hayao miyazaki and takahata are what make ghibli more than just pretty picture makers.

But they've still let goro work on another film >.< it annoys me that it'll sell despite being crap, just because of the name

True. It'll be Gorō Miyazaki.

We do have Ponyo on the Cliff released. It's great.

Have yet to watch that, that's on my summer list, along with girl leapt time.

But, back OT. Spirited away was good, very much a westerner friendly anime, makes for a very good intro to the genre of anime, with a lot of shiny parts, and I must say, I DO love that train. But I can't help but feel that miyazaki has done better (hayao, that is, goro making something this good is about as likely as dokuro chan being made into a feature length)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 lydabryant

I love the movie!!!
    It's more better than those disney movies.... :D
    You should watch Howl's Moving Castle!
    It's great movie too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭appleidog

Prime32 wrote: »
    Are you comparing Dragonball to Fullmetal Alchemist? Because that's an odd comparison, and FMA's animation is a lot better than DBZ's.
    (Have you seen the original or the new one?)

You can't really expect the animation of a series to match that of a high-budget movie though :p

Well more so Anime in General. an awful lot of shows/movies are extremely bad and there is some people that look at as the best thing since sliced bread, now don't get me wrong I look at animation like films being good or bad not where they come from.

Advertisement