Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the US political culture less cynical than the British?

Options
  • 06-04-2009 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

The way I see it, the British system is so full of cynicism, arrogance, suspicion and machiavellians, which they all think is clever. The tragedy is that an idealist can never get through the system because of said conditions. We'll never make big changes with a political culture like that.

So is my view of American politics rose-tinted? Or any truth in it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

i would take the rose tinted glasses of, if anything America is more cynical. Atleast we have the illusion of a left/right diminson america does not even have that. Alot of people may like to site the elcetion of obama, the first black president, his colour is irrelevent, when you get that high in office colour and genda are meaningless. Look at margeret thatcer or conerlisa ricefor example, what have they done for womens rights.
    Fact of the matter is Obarma is a safe canidate, he has been allowed to be president becasue he is no threat and will continue to maintain the status quo in american politics. The people who will be the most dispointed will be black voters because the first black president will do nothing to help the black population in america

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

junder wrote: »
    i would take the rose tinted glasses of, if anything America is more cynical. Atleast we have the illusion of a left/right diminson america does not even have that.

But you're going to have to do better than that to justify why it's more cynical.

With respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Affable wrote: »
    The way I see it, the British system is so full of cynicism, arrogance, suspicion and machiavellians, which they all think is clever. The tragedy is that an idealist can never get through the system because of said conditions. We'll never make big changes with a political culture like that.

So is my view of American politics rose-tinted? Or any truth in it?

I always thought British politics was fairly straight forward. Maybe you could give a few examples so i can understand your thinking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Hookey

Are you talking about the politicians, or the electorate? I'd say the British electorate are more cynical than their US equivalents (or just more apathetic), but the politicians themselves are exactly the same, as they are in most countries.

NB. Both the US and UK are also culturally small "c" conservative and idealists scare them. They like having them around to keep the real politicians honest, (e.g. Ralph Nader) but when it comes to giving them real power, you've got to be kidding (e.g. the British Labour Party in the 80s).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Affable wrote: »
    So is my view of American politics rose-tinted?

Ever so slightly. They're as hard nosed, cynical and rough as any. They do however, keep up a lot of hype and (to our eyes) cheesey razamataz.
    Certain cities have reputations for corruption and cronyism that beat our lot into the hind place (particularily when you bear in mind the size of their populations). And on a national level they aren't exactly all 'mom and apple pie' either.

For instance when certain elements of the democratic party were waxing lyrical about the Bush governments violation of American principles in using torture, it emerged that a few of these had been (via their membership of certain commitees) been briefed on these practices when they began, and had approved.

The whole thing is such a vast subject its hard to know where to start. However, keeping it recent - Theres four parts to this, but its well worth the read...
    http://voices.washingtonpost.com/cheney/chapters/chapter_1/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

american politics is much more cut throat , whatever about more cynical

the discourse in american politics is pretty brutal compared to the relativly friendly exchange of views in the uk and especially here in ireland

its not unusual to hear a republican on fox news accuse a democratic politcian of being a traitor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

irish_bob wrote: »
    american politics is much more cut throat , whatever about more cynical

the discourse in american politics is pretty brutal compared to the relativly friendly exchange of views in the uk and especially here in ireland

its not unusual to hear a republican on fox news accuse a democratic politcian of being a traitor

Yes that would reflect societal differences too. It's a good thing if we don't adopt their rubbish.

Advertisement