Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Composition for Strings & Film Scoring Course/Workshops

Options
  • 06-04-2009 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

Hey there,

Does anyone know of anything like this? I've tried Google'n but haven't been able to find anything like this. Anywhere in Ireland will suit.

If anyone can post some details that'd be great!!

Cheers
    Fusion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

S'up fusion.

As far as I can find out: no. Then again, it's Ireland.

If you want to take a course, you can do one online with Berklee. They offer a few different courses, and you can pick and choose your modules and how many modules you want to take. They also orchestration bundled with sampled instruments (Garritan, Vienna Symphonic Library, EWQLSO, etc) if that's your thing.

Link

For self study, there are a few great places online.

Gary Garritan has made Rimsky-Korsakov's Principles of Orchestration an online book with playable examples (this site is particularly cool)

Link

There are a few decent books out there as well. Samuel Adler's ''Orchestration'' is pretty good and comes with 6 CDs for the examples. The CDs are c.150-200e, but I have them. PM if you want :)

Lately I've had a hankering to arrange the Mozart k284 sonata. Don't know why, I'm just dying to!

Edit: 7 minutes and 20 views? New record for the Classical forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

A friend who wanted to get into film scoring mentioned a FÁS course, which is apparently very good, on the subject. That was a couple of years ago, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

banquo wrote: »
    S'up fusion.

As far as I can find out: no. Then again, it's Ireland.

If you want to take a course, you can do one online with Berklee. They offer a few different courses, and you can pick and choose your modules and how many modules you want to take. They also orchestration bundled with sampled instruments (Garritan, Vienna Symphonic Library, EWQLSO, etc) if that's your thing.

Link

For self study, there are a few great places online.

Gary Garritan has made Rimsky-Korsakov's Principles of Orchestration an online book with playable examples (this site is particularly cool)

Link

There are a few decent books out there as well. Samuel Adler's ''Orchestration'' is pretty good and comes with 6 CDs for the examples. The CDs are c.150-200e, but I have them. PM if you want :)

Lately I've had a hankering to arrange the Mozart k284 sonata. Don't know why, I'm just dying to!

Edit: 7 minutes and 20 views? New record for the Classical forum?
    Cheers for that information Banquo!! Really appreciated!

I found a Composition Symposium on in NUI Maynooth next week which looks pretty good so I'll head into that and definitly take a look at the links you've given too!!

If anyone wants to go here's the link.. http://music.nuim.ie/newsevents/nuimaynoothcompositionsymposium12may2009

Cheers!
    Fusion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 philopus109

the only course in town is the one offered by ASCAP in LA. Its run in the DGA building (on sunset blvd) directors guild and the hands on is in the newman scoring stage 20th century. Apply to ASCAP. A handful of irish lads got on it and all did well out of it. THis is the only one where you meet the agents too and not academic bull tied into a college. Its free but you have to be world class to get in! They get you to sign up to ASCAP so royalties you receive as a composer they get a little commission. Its the best in town. Forget Ireland, UK or east coast USA. LA is the place to be for film music. The newman scoring stage makes our premier windmill lane look like a bedroom set up. Nancy Knutsen is the lady, she was John Williams right hand lady and knows everything there is to know about the industry. film music is an industry not academic and its a given you know how to arrange, orchestrate and use latest recording techniques. thats it. let me know if you want any more info. Philopus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Pianist2891

The Irish Composition Summer School are running a course - PM me your email address and I'll find the information to forward you. Not sure how good they are, but the faculty seem very high profile in any case.

Otherwise, the Shrewsbury International Summer School has a composition course, again with an excellent tutor, but nothing for film scoring per se.

Berklee is a very good bet, if they have anything of the sort online!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

Fusion251 wrote: »
    Cheers for that information Banquo!! Really appreciated!

I found a Composition Symposium on in NUI Maynooth next week which looks pretty good so I'll head into that and definitly take a look at the links you've given too!!

If anyone wants to go here's the link.. http://music.nuim.ie/newsevents/nuimaynoothcompositionsymposium12may2009

Cheers!
    Fusion

I was there too, amazingly interesting Symposium learned loads while getting the opportunity to talk to some of my favorite Irish composers!

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I wanted to go, but (once again, sigh) less important things took up my time. I'd say it was good. Pretty disappointed about not being able to attend :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Benny Smiles

I was speaking to one of my music students last night, and he gave me this advice: Other things are always going to get in the way, so you have to be dedicated and just make time for music!

On a more related note, I found this old thread and wanted to let you know that the music school I teach at is running a new Film Music course. It's a 2 day course eploring the role and functions of music in visual media, and the link is here if you want to find out more: http://secretschoolofsound.ie/index.php/film-music-course/.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 oscas

I

On a more related note, I found this old thread and wanted to let you know that the music school I teach at is running a new Film Music course. It's a 2 day course eploring the role and functions of music in visual media, and the link is here if you want to find out more: http://secretschoolofsound.ie/index.php/film-music-course/.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for this link! It's the only course I've found in the country! Not sure if they're running them anymore but I've emailed them anyway, I'm sure they can advise.

Advertisement