Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we all equal in dignity?

• 06-04-2009 12:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

Basically I think the 'equality of dignity' in humans is sentimental and fallacious.

There are inequalities in dignity which must be exploited. The world is not a fair place.

If you are a doctor or professsor working in New Zealand or Finland, you are less significant then an average Joe in the USA. Sorry, harsh but true.
    Why fight against odds when ultimately you are left feeling less significant by the fact that the world doesn't care about what you're doing. You gain added sheen from where you live. There wil always be less self assurance and motivation to achieve in lesser countries. Also one gains vicariously from the mentality of success in a country without even doing much.

But doing right by yourself in exploiting that inequality. It's good conscience. It then frees you up to feel the odds are not stacked against you, and you are not on some resentful moral crusade. Which then allows you to be more generously disposed to people, not an ignoble thing.
    to elaborate, if you feel you are working your guts out but never getting the credit or pride you deserve, you will have a moralistic chip on the shoulder and become subconsciously bitter. Whereas if you take what you need and get more success for slightly less effort, you don't feel you are railing against the odds and are generously disposed to people, as I say good conscience.

Do these questions I'm raising, or anxieties, you could call them, make sense?

And what would you like to add? It would be great if people could offer me some insights of their own to help me think through this one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Affable wrote: »

If you are a doctor or professsor working in New Zealand or Finland, you are less significant then an average Joe in the USA

Doctors and professors working anywhere in the world are more significant than average Joes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

MooseJam wrote: »
    Doctors and professors working anywhere in the world are more significant than average Joes.

Maybe to you. But the nationality thing seems a bigger thing to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Affable wrote: »
    Maybe to you. But the nationality thing seems a bigger thing to me.

Perhaps to you but I doubt you would find many who agree, leaving it just one of those strange ideas held by individuals.

MooseJam wrote: »
    Perhaps to you but I doubt you would find many who agree, leaving it just one of those strange ideas held by individuals.

I think the issue is we are all subject to envy. It'd just mine is projected onto nationality. I've been hanging around Americans who make the everyone is special, ambition, and national identity doctrine apparent. So it's gotten to a level where some act so entitled they think they are all more important. When you've got average joes proclaiming with entitlement, 'whilst I respect Federer'...I mean wtf?! They act like no1 tennis guy in the world needs their approval. You've got street cleaners and Mcdonalds workers in the US who have bought their importance to such an extent that they probably believe they are more important than the PM of Norway, or a surgeon in Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

but attitudes like that don't equate greater dignity in the individual, less if anything.

it is more dignified to be humble and to be happy with your station in life than to be arrogant and presume yourself to be of the utmost importance.

dignity is a personal attitude, not something bestowed upon us by our race, creed or nationality

• Advertisement

PinkTulips wrote: »
    but attitudes like that don't equate greater dignity in the individual, less if anything.

it is more dignified to be humble and to be happy with your station in life than to be arrogant and presume yourself to be of the utmost importance.

dignity is a personal attitude, not something bestowed upon us by our race, creed or nationality

Yes, but it's a personal attitude that makes it easier to believe in oneself as important if one is a better nationality. Maybe not dignity but they induce envy and get people ffeling they are swimming against a tide....they are getting more for less, which allows them to be arrogant but also kinder alternately. If someone is swimming agaINST A tide , or feels that way, they may have dignity but resentment will build and they will force hatred into the world because of the morality of that situation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement