Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Puraflo Sewage Treatment

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Gimme Stitches

Also - ask for CE Certification for any system you decide to go with.

If it doesn't have CE Certification it shouldn't be for sale in Ireland.
    Just checked the website and indeed they are CE certified. I cant come across pricing info. If you have a rough idea that would be great. (PM if necessary)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I don't I'm afraid - I haven't seen any prices since it was ANUA and that was a different time in the economy and also for non-domestic projects. So anything I'd have would be so out of date as to be a red herring.

What I do know is that it is was always one of the more expensive systems on the market - I can't see that having changed!

Edit: Ask your engineer for a copy of his report and if you send it to the manufacturers I'm pretty sure they'll have a price back to you fairly quickly because they'll smell a sale!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Gimme Stitches

I don't I'm afraid - I haven't seen any prices since it was ANUA and that was a different time in the economy and also for non-domestic projects. So anything I'd have would be so out of date as to be a red herring.

What I do know is that it is was always one of the more expensive systems on the market - I can't see that having changed!

Edit: Ask your engineer for a copy of his report and if you send it to the manufacturers I'm pretty sure they'll have a price back to you fairly quickly because they'll smell a sale!
    What would be deemed expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tonguefish

Hi,
    I just started digging out the old peat from my puraflo modules as they've started overflowing earlier this summer.
    Does anybody know if the old peat can be re-used for horticulture purposes ?
    Also, how much peat do I need for per module and does it need to be a special mix/grade or will regular peat suffice ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

tonguefish wrote: »
    Hi,
    I just started digging out the old peat from my puraflo modules as they've started overflowing earlier this summer.
    1. Does anybody know if the old peat can be re-used for horticulture purposes ?
    2. Also, how much peat do I need for per module and does it need to be a special mix/grade or will regular peat suffice ?

1. NO! (Human sh1te on your garden??)
    2. Contact the manufacturer.

Is there not a maintenance contract with treatment system? Was this not a requirement of your planning application?

BryanF wrote: »
    1. NO! (Human sh1te on your garden??)
    2. Contact the manufacturer.

Is there not a maintenance contract with treatment system? Was this not a requirement of your planning application?

Ya, was intending to hire a skip for disposal of the peat, funny thing is I got a quote for peat replacement from a waste water company who said they would pile the old peat beside the modules for horticultural use.
    Bought the property second hand, so no maintenance contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

tonguefish wrote: »
    Ya, was intending to hire a skip for disposal of the peat, funny thing is I got a quote for peat replacement from a waste water company who said they would pile the old peat beside the modules for horticultural use.
    Bought the property second hand, so no maintenance contract.

When enquiring with a firm to replace my peat moss I was also told that they would pile the old moss beside the modules for horticultural use :eek:

How did the replacement go for you in the end ?

When enquiring with a firm to replace my peat moss I was also told that they would pile the old moss beside the modules for horticultural use :eek:

How did the replacement go for you in the end ?

I rang a second maintenance firm and they said it could be put to horticultural use. They also said it could be spread on the lawn or around the Puraflow modules. I piled mine beside the Puraflow modules as I had some hedge planting to do so it came in handy.
    I covered the pile with polythene to keep the kids off it but when I went to use it, I found that a couple of different rodent families had moved in.
    My advice would be if you don't have a short term horticultural use for it, get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭septicsac

I replaced my fibres last week.Had 2 large modules to do, ordered everything from Anua in Carrick on Shannon. Price for 2 ton bags full to the top with fibres, plus stone and new holding pipes for each module delivered from Carrick to Louth was 550E. Guy was sound, came up and looked at the job, offered advise and outlined what causes faults to these systems, couldnt have been more professional (Think his name was Declan/Dermot) Job took me two half days between the rainfall, to dig out old turf and stone and put in new stuff. Not the worst job in the world and could be done by one person in a day. Old stone will be washed down and used in ladddrain in the garden, not sure what will do with old peat yet.
    I got a good ten years out of last turf, running family of 5 and might have got another year, but one module got blocked and flooded the other one, so no point in doing one side and having to do another in 6-12 months.
    I will be keeping a good eye on them this time round, try keep soap/toilet cleaners/bleaches/washing poweers to a minimum, they form a soapy gel on top of the fibre, preventing water passing theough. I intend to rake the fibres once a year after about 3/4 years in and check for signs of blockages monthly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Ndiver

Hi, Has anyone just used the normal retail/garden center type moss peat bales for this - if so, does it do the job ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zenith74

Bringing this thread back to life to see has anybody any recent guidance/thoughts on price? Moved into a new house with a Puraflow system, have been quoted €1900 to refill two modules with peat fibre and disconnect a couple of unnecessary modules. Expensive compared to some of the prices here but I guess times have moved on!

Servicing company commented that the future of these systems is fairly unclear with bans on peat harvesting etc. and that we should be planning to replace it with a pressurised sand filtration at some point, particularly if we were looking to get planning permission for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Hi,

How did you fair out with your Puraflo?

I am looking for a company to repair/replace peat/certify a nearly 30 year old system in the NW. Help would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 KawaKris

Hi, I'm looking to try get some peat for my Puraflo. Got quoted €2200 for supply and install of peat recently. I changed it about 7 years ago myself but can't locate the peat supplier. Anyone know where I might buy the peat ?. System is a disaster btw.

Advertisement