Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Duration of Construction Activities

• 06-04-2009 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi guys! I am doing my first ever construction programme. Having no site experience I am getting it very hard to guess durations of the construction activities. So i was wondering if any of you have generated their own list of average durations throu years of experience,or can guide me to where i could find these. I know you can do calculations of all the activities, but for that you need to know the production rate and the crew size, i do not need to go to that extent.

Or any of you might have examples of microsoft project programs???
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

have a look at this website
    the irish association of self builders

www.iaosb.com/index.html

very basic but gives a breakdown on the schedule of works etc
    should contain all the information you ask of now

don't think microsoft do any building programs;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Buratino

De_man wrote: »
    have a look at this website
    the irish association of self builders

www.iaosb.com/index.html

very basic but gives a breakdown on the schedule of works etc
    should contain all the information you ask of now

don't think microsoft do any building programs;)

Thanks a mil for the website. What i am relly looking for is say... how long does the plastering/internal works/mech and electrical installation/etc take in average. Microsoft Project allows to create a program showing duration and links of each duration to get an overall picture of the project duration. But i have never done one before myself,neither have site experience to know how long any of the activities may take to be able to put this into the MS project to create my program

P.S. De_man, thanks for the site thou, its very good for basic stuff!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

ah i see now, all those would be site, design dependent etc

i'm sure the lads here in the trade would be able to help you out

i'm sure the lads here in the trade would be able to help you out
    thats what i am hoping, thanks a lot again!!! :):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Buratino wrote: »
    Hi guys! I am doing my first ever construction programme. Having no site experience I am getting it very hard to guess durations of the construction activities. So i was wondering if any of you have generated their own list of average durations throu years of experience,or can guide me to where i could find these. I know you can do calculations of all the activities, but for that you need to know the production rate and the crew size, i do not need to go to that extent.

Or any of you might have examples of microsoft project programs???
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Hi - what the OP is looking for is examples/ templates for Microsoft Office Project - a *.mpp file.

@OP - I'm doing a project management course at the moment, which entails creating the Gannt charts/ network diagrams etc.
    Your problem (forgive me for saying) is that you have no site experience, or knowledge of the activities/ times/ durations etc.
    It will be a pointless exercise for you to create a programme (I'm presuming for an actual soon to be live project) unless you sit down with an experienced construction site person, and work out actual activity durations and predecessors. These will need to be project specific, and take into consideration the bill of quantities (if available).
    If it's a self build project - this programme/ Gannt chart will very soon go out the window!
    PS, when I done mine, I just drew a Gannt chart using AutoCAD;)

• Advertisement

gman2k, i totally understand what you are saying. However its a college project and the building is already built. So the chart we(students) have to produce is on the basis of an existing building. I are right it is pointless in doing this with having no experience, but this is what we have to do!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Buratino wrote: »
    gman2k, i totally understand what you are saying. However its a college project and the building is already built. So the chart we(students) have to produce is on the basis of an existing building. I are right it is pointless in doing this with having no experience, but this is what we have to do!!!

ok, well that clarifies things.

Advertisement