Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Part Time Teacher and Social Welfare

• 06-04-2009 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Can i claim the dole for June July and August?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

If you are getting an hourly rate you are also being paid 56% holiday pay so you might not be able to get Dole. However it is important you sign on at the begining of all your hols (today) to have continuous PRSI contributions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭freire

You're entitled to at least apply. Whether you are entitled to full/part or indeed any payment, will be determined by the amount of hours you were paid for during term. As you know your hourly rate is inclusive of a percentage holiday pay, and so is higher than the 'contracted' hourly rate.

S.W. will want this information in order to determine whether you're entitled to a claim.

Your school may sort out the necessary paperwork for you, but more than likely you apply direct to Athlone who will forward the necessary info to you which you bring to S.W. office and they'll take it from there.

If you're on a contract ignore all of the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

as far as im aware, the rate of hourly pay covers you (or is supposed to!!) for easter hols etc, when you dont get paid. you should be entitled to claim social welfare benefit for the summer months, as essentially you are no longer contracted or employed by the DES.

go into your local social welfare office on the first day of your hols, and explain you are a teacher, no longer being employed by the school/DES.

i went through this process last year. you should also be going in for the easter hols. you probably wont get any payments from social welfare, but as a previous poster said, its important to keep up your prsi credits.

finally, when you go start getting paid again by the DES, be sure to ring them and you will probably be back on emergency tax due to not being paid for 2 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

You *should* be able to get dole for June, July and August. At least I did a few years ago when I started teaching and there were loads of teachers, secretaries and lolly-pop ladies there signing on too. You get a form that you will have to send to payroll to fill in for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 galteeview

Is it possible to download the form to be sent to payroll/DES online?
    I'm finishing work next Wednesday and would like to have received it to send straight away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Yes you can - holiday pay has nothing to do with welfare - everyone is entitled to holiday pay.

If you have the required criteria you can claim benefit - if not you will be means tests for assistance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

galteeview wrote: »
    Is it possible to download the form to be sent to payroll/DES online?
    I'm finishing work next Wednesday and would like to have received it to send straight away
    You will have to go to your local welfare office to sign-on - there is a big backlog (because of cutbacks) and it could take a few weeks to process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Yes you can - holiday pay has nothing to do with welfare - everyone is entitled to holiday pay.

If you have the required criteria you can claim benefit - if not you will be means tests for assistance.

I could not get welfare a few years ago because of my holiday pay.

If you think about it it actaully make sense. If, for example, you worked 22 hours per week part time for the full year (but with no holiday pay) you earn the same yearly salary as somebody on a 22 hour contract with holiday pay.

Why should one be entitled to welfare and one not?

If you worked less than 22 hours per week then you will be entitled to welfare at some stage during the summer, but not immediately.

Advertisement