Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suitable type of horse box and prices

Options
  • 06-04-2009 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi
    I have a horse and would like to now get a horse box and am just wondering if you might be able to help my with a type and price range.

My horse is 15.3 and I would like to get a double box. Is there any particular model I should look out for for this size horse? Also a firends horse would be travelling with us ocassionally and this horse is approx 15H. Are there different weights of boxes for different size horses and for the car/jeep you use to pull it? I would hope to pull it using an avensis 1.8 - would this be possible?

Would a budget of 1500 to 2000 be unreasonable for a farily decent enough looking box thats obviously ok in terms of floors etc.?
    I would greatly appreciate any advice anyone might be able to give me!
    Thanks a million!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Wicked

hi ya

i think you would get a decent box for that budget and a 505 would suit you. Your car would be able to pull a 505 but remember you have to have an EB licence to legally pull a horsebox. that discussion could go on forever!!

have a look on donedeal, local trader or local papers. stay clear of the buyandsell - personally have had nothing but trouble with it!

if you want to carry a bigger horse you could get a 510 but they would be very hard to pull on your car.

as regards your budget i'd say you would pick up a decent box for that money, especially the times we are in. shop around is my advice and don't rush into anything. and remember bargain bargain bargain!!

hope this helps.

Wicked.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭otwb

Toyota Avensis specs:-
    Kerb Weight 1370-1455 [1405-1510] kgs
    Towing Capacity (with brakes) 1500
    Towing Capacity (without brakes) 500

HB506 specs (new version of the 505 trailer):-
    Maximum Gross Weight 2600kg
    Unladen Weight 920kg

Essentially you should only be towing up to 1500kg with your Avensis, a double trailer would be 920kg (unladen) and you need to add the horses weights to this. A 15.3 horse would weigh anything from 500 - 700kg depending on build, so you would be going beyond the towing capacity of the car with two horses. Its not that the car won't pull the box, but it would affect your ability to stop the car & trailer in an emergency. NOt sure of legalities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Chindato

I wouldn't recommend pulling any horsebox behind a car.
    a) because you'll pull the guts out of the car, and gearboxes are expensive :)
    b) because no car has enough weight to be able to brake safely in front of a double horsebox - you'll just get pushed on down the road into whatever is in front of you
    c) car plus trailer equals speed wobbles. Scary :eek:

hth
    Chindato

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

In regards to the Ifor trailers, you could probably get a 505 which is a couple of years old for under €2,000.

Advertisement