Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my girlfriend crazy?

Options
  • 06-04-2009 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭

My girlfriend's parents are away on holiday and I'm working abroad so it's just her and her Cavalier King Charles in the house.

She's so worried about the dog being alone in the house all day that she's taking both of her breaks in work at once and driving home to bring the dog on a walk. She gets about half an hour at home and eats her lunch in the car.

So is she crazy or would you lot do the same? And if so, does that mean that you're also crazy :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

No she's not crazy at all - I would do the exact same thing if it was me. Especially if the dog is used to having someone with them during the day and now they don't while the parents are on holidays!! I've been known to use up a fair bit of my annual leave from work to dog sit for my parents!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I did the same when I lived at home and my parents went on holidays! I couldn't relax at work knowing he was home alone all day, and I was only a ten minute drive away anyway.

Now I no longer live at home but I get stressed up in Dublin when they go away because I know my sister doesn't care about him as much as I do. I get really worried and end up harrassing her daily to make sure he's okay and she remembered to feed/walk him! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

The two of you stay at your computers with your hands where I can see them. The men in the white coats will be along shortly :P

Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Nope, she is not crazy. She is just sacrificing her lunch in order to make the dog happy. Shake her hand for me! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You may call it "crazy", I (and many others, I presume) would call it "acting responsibly"

grow up :D

• Advertisement

Ok, I have my answer, thanks.

/backs away from the forum slowly while smiling and nodding

/runs :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

So do I take it that when you are abroad you don't come back twice a day to check on your GF? YOU UNFEELING BEAST!

:D

Bluefrog wrote: »
    So do I take it that when you are abroad you don't come back twice a day to check on your GF? YOU UNFEELING BEAST!

:D

I know I'm an awful boyfriend altogether :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

peasant wrote: »
    "acting responsibly"
    +1
    wrote:
    grow up :D
    Bit harsh there Peasant, he was only asking was this a normal thing to do. If hes not a dog owner he'd have no clue what responsible ownership is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

anniehoo wrote: »
    +1

Bit harsh there Peasant, he was only asking was this a normal thing to do. If hes not a dog owner he'd have no clue what responsible ownership is.

Think Peasant was just j/k

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

well depending on the dog it might be a case of giving up your lunch hour, or giving up your sofa/carpet/leg of the table! if the dog is used to a lot of company and attention then if he was bored he may well attack the furniture!

then again I never did anything like that - but my dog was the laziest bugger going, so would delight in the opportunity to sleep uninterrupted for 8 hours!

depends on the dog, depends on the owner. If as his owner your G/f realises that he needs this kind of attention, then who are we to argue? fair play to her.

(lesson for future reference - get a lazy dog! lol )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

I have a Cav and she would go nuts if she was left alone all day. They're not a breed who do especially well on their own for extended periods of time.

When I was babysitting for my sister's baby while they were away, I called in to see the baby every hour on the hour before heading back to work again. I know that seems like a lot but I'd hate to think of the child running out of water etc.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

00112984 wrote: »
    When I was babysitting for my sister's baby while they were away, I called in to see the baby every hour on the hour before heading back to work again. I know that seems like a lot but I'd hate to think of the child running out of water etc.

You're a saint you are :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    You're a saint you are :D

My maternal instincts don't just stop with puppies, ya know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Cavs are big into people and need a lot of company so much so that many people end up having to get two. She's not mad at all and she probably enjoys it sure it's only for a short while.

Methinks you are secretly jealous eventhough you are away lol it's not uncommon for gf or bfs to become jealous when a pet gets a bit of attention hehe.

Methinks you are secretly jealous eventhough you are away lol it's not uncommon for gf or bfs to become jealous when a pet gets a bit of attention hehe.

Oh noes you discovered my secret shame!!1 :eek:

Na I just think it's unnecessary to rush home on her lunch break. She's got a neighbour who's on easter holidays from school to pop in during the day now anyway so it's all good now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭misssaucie

You remind of my other half, he's working abroad at the mo too...bloody recession has a lot to answer for!!! He bought me a puppy before he left to keep me company and I had NO idea how much I was capable of loving this little thing sooo much. I adore him and I so understand where your girlfriend is coming from. I think dogs bring out maternal instincts in people. No harm huh! You should be proud of her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

Cavs are big into people and need a lot of company

^ Very true. I have been reliably informed from a couple of sources that when I leave the house my Cav sits by the door for a few minutes whining. He gets over it after 15 - 20 mins.

(Why do people tell me this?! It doesn't make me feel good about leaving him :D)

Advertisement