Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comedy Improv Workshops in the Dublin Area

Options
  • 06-04-2009 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Does Any know if there is anything going on in the Dublin area for workshops on Comedy Improv? I,v searched all over without any luck?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Are you looking for a one off workshop or something that happens over the course of weeks?
    I will send you a pm re one offs, but I know John Dawson often does longer classes in Dublin, usually stretched over 6 weeks I think.

If you want to jet it down to Galway, we'll sort you out! :)

Anyone else interested in One Off/Day/Weekend long workshops send me a PM
    I am based in the West, but am up frequently doing workshops and corporate work in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 15 turpe

Hello, there's definitely some workshops in dublin... dont know the details at the moment, but will be talking to Joe Rooney next week and will find out for you, as i'm pretty sure that he's part of it.
    in the meantime you might be interested in watching these:
    http://exposureroom.com/improv
    that's a Dublin Comedy Improv gig receorded few months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 only1mickie

any update on future workshops??

Hi ;) I won't be up in Dublin again until June (well of course I will be in Dublin but just not with my workshop hat on :p)

If you want to wait until then, I'd be happy to keep you posted.

Otherwise you'd have to trek to Galway or Cork :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

You could try asking in the Stand Up Comedy Forum here on boards:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=994

There's a thread on this very subject:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055551712

Good luck :)

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    You could try asking in the Stand Up Comedy Forum here on boards:

There's a thread on this very subject:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055551712

Good luck :)

Not to be picky:p but it seems that this thread is re: a stand-up crash course.
    Improv (even comedy improv) is a different beast.

I think people often lump them together as a lot of stand-up folks do (comedy) improv too. Improv is an art form by itself, and of course can benefit Stand Up skills, acting skills etc, but also goes far beyond that in other directions; short form, long form, sketch-hybrid, freeform etc.
    The menu is very full :)

We'll be doing an in-house workshop with a comedy group in Dublin in June, and due to demand, will have a day workshop open to anyone interested around that time. PM me for details. Perhaps post 'pm sent' on here, as I don't always get notifications. Thanks

Due to popular demand - Improv workshop for 'the man on the street':p coming in June. Watch this space ;)

The Spontaneous Theatre People

'A full day of improv workshops open to the public is scheduled for Sat 27th June, to be held at a Dublin City Centre location. There will be provision for a beginners and a more advanced workshops'

Details and descriptions to follow soon. Workshop(s) will likely be between 10 and 6.

PM me if you are not already on the mailing list, and I will also post the details here when I get them confirmed :)

Hi, here's some info on this. Not sure if I can put contact details or cost up here? So pm me with your email and I can forward it to the mailing list.
    Just note that these are intro to improv, and advanced improv. Comedy improv will be a part of that but not the whole workshop.

The Spontaneous Theatre People Present

A workshop day of Improv Theatre – Sat June 27th 2009
    Studio 1, Second Floor, The Lab, Foley St, Dublin 1
    Morning: Intro to Improv
    Afternoon: Advanced Improv

“Improvised theatre can be one of the most magical thing ever to happen on a stage. From the origins in Commedia Del Arte, to the belly laughs of Comedy Improv Games, to the wonder of full length ‘Longform’ theatre, made fresh every night – it is one of the freshest and most exciting of the theatrical forms. You can start with no experience, fun and simple. You can continue to explore, discover and delight yourself and your audiences.
    Improv is spontaneous theatre. It is unlimited in set budget, cast list, possibilities…
    It is neither elitist nor inaccessible. It is about believing in your own creation, and believing in the world that is being created onstage before your eyes.
    It is about taking risks, feeling safe, trusting and letting go.
    It is some of the best craic you can ever have on a stage (in a bar, in a field)”.

Morning workshop
    10AM to 1.30 PM (registration at 9.45)
    Intro to improv. A great first workshop for those who have yet to dip their toe in the pool of fun! No experience required. This is also an excellent refresher for actors or improvisers to get back to the roots. Covered in this workshop will be; The basics of improvised theatre including, warm up, background and types of improv, comedy games, scenework, teamwork and good old craic!

Afternoon workshop
    2.45 – 5-45 (registration at 2.30)
    Advanced improv. Great for those who have improv performance experience, have taken workshops before, and simply want to sharpen their game and explore the craft further.
    Previous improv performance or workshop experience required.
    We will cover ‘instant character’, solo work, improv for devising and longform, environment, structure and . Oh, yes. And craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 turpe

Comedy Improv Performance Workshops
    Consisting of four, four hour weekly workshops and concluding with a performance showcase, this course will introduce you to the performance techniques required to help you play Comedy Improv with confidence and maximum enjoyment.

From week one you will play games, create stories and start to improvise your own ideas in collaboration with the other players on the course. As the course progresses from week to week you will learn the games for the Performance Showcase and by show time you will have performance energy, confidence and understanding of what makes good Comedy Improv.
    Course Fees: 180:
    (150 Equity members: 3 weekly payment of 50)
    (Course limited to maximum 8 players)
    Date
    Time
    Wk 1
    Sun 25thJanuary
    2.30pm to 6.30pm
    Wk 2
    Sun 1st February
    2.30pm to 6.30pm
    Wk 3
    Sun 8th February
    2.30pm to 6.30pm
    Wk 4
    Sun 15th February
    2.30pm to 6.30pm
    Wk 5
    Wed 18th February
    7.30pm to 9.30pm
    Comfortable clothing and footwear must be worn,
    Tea and coffee supplied at the break.

· Introduction to Comedy Improv
    This two day introductory course consists of two, four hour workshops and is a geared towards taking the fear out of improvising. On day one you will explore the fundamentals of improvisation through workshop games, story telling and scene building. On day two you will play a series of comedy improv show games that will give you the opportunity to build scenes, use accents and develop characters.
    Course fees 80
    (€60 Equity members)
    (Course limited to maximum 10 players)
    Date
    Time
    Day 1
    Tues 27th January
    1.30 pm to 5.30pm
    Day 2
    Wed 28th January
    1.30 pm to 5.30pm
    Comfortable clothing and footwear must be worn,
    Tea and coffee supplied at the break.
    If you would like to register for either of these courses or require further information please call me. Alternatively if you would like to take part in a course at a later date please email me and I will forward details of future course dates.
    All course workshops and the Performance Showcase will take place in:
    The Bankers Bar & Comedy Club. Trinity Street, Dublin 2. 01-6793697.
    Home to The Craic Pack Comedy Improv, Friday 9pm.
    Contact
    Peter Byrne or email [[/EMAIL]

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

We in the Boards Drama Group, "No Drama Theatre", incorporate improv in our workshops each week. Some weeks the focus in completely improv. The forum is below:

http://nodrama.boards.ie

Your first workshop is free so you can decide whether you want to stay or not! :) although our workshops cover all aspects of drama, improv plays a vital part with how we do it. It may not be as specific as you are looking for but as your first workshop is free it may be no harm to see if its for your taste? :)

Improv is favourite of mine and we had a improv night a few weeks ago in a Dublin city pub (in the vain of "Whose Line is it Anyway?") and plan do put on some more over the coming months. We had a full house on the night.

Check out the forum for more details or drop me a PM if you want. We meet every Tuesday at 6:45pm in Synge Street Primary School near Camden Street.

Delighted to see so much improv going on! Spontaneous Theatre People workshop day is getting a great response and places are already filling.
    STP normally do in-house ones for groups (theatre and comedy) and corporate work. We were asked to put a one day on for the public, as word had spread about the in-house workshops. The instructor for this one has extensive experience with some of the big names of Improv in the US, including working with the tremendously funny Ryan Styles (whose line) on several occasions. Ryan owns his own theatre in the US dedicated to Improv in all its forms.
    Really looking forward to the June workshop.

I would love to see Ireland's improv scene expand even more, and grow to the extent that it exists in the US. Comedy shortform is one part of it, and there are a whole bunch of other improv forms. It's a great way to explore being creative, even if you don't necessarily want to take it to performance level (and beyond:D). I'd encourage folks to take workshops with someone.
    If you're in Cork too, I personally would highly recommend the lads at Snatch Comedy. They are a strong and focused group and do good workshops for beginners. They are very invested in improv, and it is not just a 'sideline' for them - they know their improv history and skill and are constantly working on their own techniques as a group.

I'll go ahead and post cost and email for the STP workshop, as others have done that. Just email, PM me for direct number if you like :)
    Mods, let me know if that needs to come down? Thanks :D

The Spontaneous Theatre People Present

A workshop day of Improv Theatre – Sat June 27th 2009
    Studio 1, Second Floor, The Lab, Foley St, Dublin 1

Morning: Intro to Improv
    Afternoon: Advanced Improv
    (see above for details)

COST: Morning session: 35 Euro, Afternoon Session: 30 Euro. 60 Euro for both.
    Advance reservation essential. E: wingdingfilms (at) yahoo (dot) com

turpe, is that a typo for Peter's classes, or are they not until next Jan?

Down to the last couple of places for the Spontaneous Theatre People workshop on June 27th - yay! Most people seem to be going for the whole day option.

Pop an email asap if you wish to book the morning/aft or the combo.

Thurs AM:

One spot in Spontaneous Theatre People Workshop has opened up this Sat 27th due to illness.

Call [snip] or email [snip] asap to book it!

Advertisement