Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Damned United

Options
  • 06-04-2009 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Is The Damned United not showing in Limerick cinemas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Not yet. I have been waiting for it to come out. The book was excellent, even if Gilesy says it is libelous and not based on fact. It is especially galling that it is not here, when you look at the crap that is on in the two cinemas.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭trevufc

Not yet.
    QUOTE]

so you think it could still come to Limerick? Its been in cinemas elsewhere for the past 2 weeks no?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I'm a Liverpool fan, so to be honest I couldn't care less if a movie on the life of that person ever came out.
    Most who knew him in the business had no respect for him, and I'll add myself to that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

It is hardly a film that will make a big profit for the local cinemas.

Plus after the public comments that man made in the wake of the Hillsborough, I would be quite happy to see any film about him sink without a trace.

He mightn't have been a very likable person, but his achievements in purely footballing terms, with the resources at his disposal, will never be surpassed. He has won the european cup as often as Ferguson, with a tiny fraction of the money.
    I reckon it will come to limerick, for a limited run. Films like that only print a few reels of the film. The reels usually go to Dublin and Cork first, and when it finishes its run there, the reels are sent around the country to places like Limerick then. It might still come here. I have seen that happen with other small films before. Heres hoping.

• Advertisement

BTW, Kess73, what did he say about Hillsborough? Something indefensible no doubt.

BTW, Kess73, what did he say about Hillsborough? Something indefensible no doubt.

For starters he went on live tv as the dead and dying were still on the ground and said it was their own fault, and then went on to claim that people were urinating on the dead and robbing them. Something that Kelvin MacKenzie went on to print in his rag of a paper, something that was proven false in time.

"I will always remain convinced that those Liverpool fans who died were killed by Liverpool people" was a soundbite he spouted off a few times afterwards, again it was something he retracted years later. But not before putting them in print in his book.

The fact that it was proven that the fault lay with not enough exits/entrances being available and gates being locked with not enough turnstiles open at the Leppings Lane End, coupled with road works causing a huge backlog of fans arriving close to kick off. The match was not delayed despite the huge build up and the extra turnstiles were not opened. And the cage system meant any fans being turned away could not move backwards leading to a bottleneck. The police in their haste opened a set of doors that had no turnstiles and led a large number of fans being herded into a narrow area and into the back of the already standing crowd. This caused the crowd to be pushed forward to the security barriers, barrier which were not opened despite the crush, and 96 people lost their lives as a result. That is a very brief version of what happened.

It was only some time later that he came out and retracted the comments saying that he had repeated things said to him and that he say no such things happen.

Maybe you think going on live tv and making ill informed comments about people who were still dying at the time is defensible, but I do not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

And how ironic that his own son ended up playing for Liverpool just a few years later....I wasnt aware that Clough said those things on that awful awful day.

I would like to see the film though, only to see Johnny Giles on the big screen! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Every manager says idiotic things, Capello praised Franco ffs.

At his best he was an amazing manager. Quite why people in Limerick follow a team from Northern England anyway is a mystery.

Every manager says idiotic things, Capello praised Franco ffs.

At his best he was an amazing manager. Quite why people in Limerick follow a team from Northern England anyway is a mystery.

Because I used to live in Northern England, in Liverpool, and went to school there. I also got to watch that day unfold on the tv screen, terrified because my dad and uncle were there.

Funny how the line about Limerick/Irish people shouting for an English club gets spouted so often, normally as a veiled dig. I would presume any who make such comments don't watch English clubs on the telly, or follow any sports where a Limerick/Irish competitor or team are not involved, and the watching of soaps about English streets and towns would not be watched by those people. Thankfully that insular thinking seems to be of a minority nowadays .

Yes Capello praised Franco, but Capello did not do so on live tv with people dying only yards from where he was being interviewed, and then the comments got repeated for his book and also for speaking functions he did, I presume for shock value because he knew there were plenty of ignorant idiots who lapped up such comments, regardless of the offence and hurt it caused.

When the man knew he was ill, only then did he retract his comments and only then did he admit he never saw anything like what he had said.

• Advertisement

And how ironic that his own son ended up playing for Liverpool just a few years later....I wasnt aware that Clough said those things on that awful awful day.

I would like to see the film though, only to see Johnny Giles on the big screen! :)

And one of the first things he did when he joined, was to publicly disassociate himself from the comments made by his father.

Funny that you mention John Giles, he is scathing in his views of the film.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Because I used to live in Northern England, in Liverpool, and went to school there. I also got to watch that day unfold on the tv screen, terrified because my dad and uncle were there.

Funny how the line about Limerick/Irish people shouting for an English club gets spouted so often, normally as a veiled dig. I would presume any who make such comments don't watch English clubs on the telly, or follow any sports where a Limerick/Irish competitor or team are not involved, and the watching of soaps about English streets and towns would not be watched by those people. Thankfully that insular thinking seems to be of a minority nowadays .

It's a not a veiled dig, it's a clear dig.

The Premiership is for children and people actually from England, imo. Course I like to see Irish lads doing well in it, fair play to them, but why a guy from a small city in Ireland would feel an affinity for a team based in England is a mystery. Still a fool and his money....

Yes Capello praised Franco, but Capello did not do so on live tv with people dying only yards from where he was being interviewed, and then the comments got repeated for his book and also for speaking functions he did, I presume for shock value because he knew there were plenty of ignorant idiots who lapped up such comments, regardless of the offence and hurt it caused.

When the man knew he was ill, only then did he retract his comments and only then did he admit he never saw anything like what he had said.

Just separating the topics.

Franco was a fascist dictator who triumphed in a bloody and bitter civil war, the legacy of which still divides parts of Spain. Hillsborough was a tragic accident. Frankly, praising Franco is far worse, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Clough also refused to go onto the PA and appeal for calm while the tradgedy was happening as "it was only bloody Liverpool supporters"!

The guy's actions are indeffensible, and it took him 12 years of repeating his spurious claims before he finally gave a half hearted refute, but never fully appologised.

And Amazo, it amazes me how people get so offended and feel the need to take a "clear dig" at people supporting an English club.
    What difference does it make to you who I or anybody else support?!

Unlike Kess, I'm not from Liverpool myself, although I do spend a lot of time there.
    I support Liverpool, and at it's basest level (although I'd never consider it so myself), supporting Liverpool is a form of entertainment for me.
    Should I only watch Ros na Run and Fair City because they're Irish?
    Only wear Aran jumpers?
    Only listen the The Coors?
    Only Drink Guinness and eat potatoes?!!
    Only be friends with people from Limerick?!
    Or does your bias stop at football?

I like american and English TV shows, so why can't I support an English club?
    Ridiculous IMO

I support Liverpool Football Club, because I get a massive ammount of joy from doing so.
    From travelling to matches all over Europe, to meeting Liverpool fans from as far away as Norway and Mali.
    The only reason I got to meet them being the fact that we share the common support.
    One of my best friends is a Dutch man I met in Holland and got to talking to him because he was a Redman.

P.S: Sorry to hear about your family Kess, hope they came out of it okay, I'm sure it's a difficult time for them right now.

I just can't find the attraction in watching 22 overpaid prima donnas run about and fall over for 90 minutes when you've no connection to where they are nominally representing.

Why Liverpool, why not Barnsley or Hull city or whoever, was it the shiny red jerseys that won you over? Can't have been the quality of the football. I can see why a guy from Liverpool could want to follow them, but a guy from several hundred miles away, I dunno, just seems so childish.

You are not really supporting a team or a club anyway. You are supporting a marketing brand. You might as well support Mastercard or Adidas.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 jocksandsocks

I just can't find the attraction in watching 22 overpaid prima donnas run about and fall over for 90 minutes when you've no connection to where they are nominally representing.

Why Liverpool, why not Barnsley or Hull city or whoever, was it the shiny red jerseys that won you over? Can't have been the quality of the football. I can see why a guy from Liverpool could want to follow them, but a guy from several hundred miles away, I dunno, just seems so childish.

are you a regular in jackman park or thomand park?

are you a regular in jackman park or thomand park?

Have a season ticket to Thomond, does it matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 jocksandsocks

Have a season ticket to Thomond, does it matter?

makes sense! what club are you involved with?

makes sense! what club are you involved with?

None, haven't played since school and I wasn't much use then. Historically my family would be Cookies though, or Old Crescent, depending on which side of the family you ask. That being said, my brothers would have played with Boh's and and my nephew still plays with them. Bit of a mongrel really. Oddly, on one side a great granduncle was a founding member of Garryowen and on another side, another great granduncle was a founder member of Young Munsters. Obviously the Young Munster link is still there, but the Garryowen supporters must have got lost along the way somewhere. Some of my family have played with Trinity in the past, and Lansdowne, but we try and pretend it never happened.

Much like any large-ish Limerick family, I'd have cousins involved in most of the clubs, and a fair few of the football clubs too.

Again, does it matter? Any more questions you'd like to ask before getting to your point?

• Advertisement

It's a not a veiled dig, it's a clear dig.

The Premiership is for children and people actually from England, imo. Course I like to see Irish lads doing well in it, fair play to them, but why a guy from a small city in Ireland would feel an affinity for a team based in England is a mystery. Still a fool and his money....

A guy living in a small town in Ireland, I have already said I lived in Liverpool, not born there but my family moved there when I was three, and that my younger years were spent there. So my affinity is for my home town team in the town I grew up in, but I would not look down my nose on anyone who supports Liverpool or another team regardless of where they are from.

The Premiership is for children? Same could be said for most sports that adults dress up in a replica top and shout at a screen in a pub or at a ground, something I am sure does not happen in the sport you say you follow.

Maybe you should speak in Irish if you feel so strongly about being insular, fluent Irish that is, not the broken Irish that people spout when they are trying to feel more Irish. Or maybe you are one of those who likes to slag off the Brits despite the fact you read English papers and watch English tv shows.

Good to see you participate in the watching of the good Irish sport of Rugby, oh wait it is not Irish, and even then you are following Munster and not one local club. I would have thought one as pure as you would be supporting the club that is in the area you are from and speaking your native tongue if you are able to. And a fool and his money...hmmmm that Munster gear sure is cheap nowadays, still it is important to be on the bandwagon whilst they are doing well I suppose, and it makes a person more Irish to be a Munster fan. You most likely bleed green too.

I hope you don't listen to any of that nasty non local music or watch and non local tv either.

I look forward to the day when the last of the dinosaurs like you are gone, people who only have their little box to think in, and only have the confines of their little town to base anything they like or support on. Ignorance is bliss I suppose, and none more blissful than the insular.

From my own POV I am more intent on getting back to Liverpool next week for the 20th anniversary of the tragedy where I lost a family member.

A guy living in a small town in Ireland, I have already said I lived in Liverpool, not born there but my family moved there when I was three, and that my younger years were spent there. So my affinity is for my home town team in the town I grew up in, but I would not look down my nose on anyone who supports Liverpool or another team regardless of where they are from.

The Premiership is for children? Same could be said for most sports that adults dress up in a replica top and shout at a screen in a pub or at a ground, something I am sure does not happen in the sport you say you follow.

Maybe you should speak in Irish if you feel so strongly about being insular, fluent Irish that is, not the broken Irish that people spout when they are trying to feel more Irish. Or maybe you are one of those who likes to slag off the Brits despite the fact you read English papers and watch English tv shows.

Good to see you participate in the watching of the good Irish sport of Rugby, oh wait it is not Irish, and even then you are following Munster and not one local club. I would have thought one as pure as you would be supporting the club that is in the area you are from and speaking your native tongue if you are able to. And a fool and his money...hmmmm that Munster gear sure is cheap nowadays, still it is important to be on the bandwagon whilst they are doing well I suppose, and it makes a person more Irish to be a Munster fan. You most likely bleed green too.

I hope you don't listen to any of that nasty non local music or watch and non local tv either.

I look forward to the day when the last of the dinosaurs like you are gone, people who only have their little box to think in, and only have the confines of their little town to base anything they like or support on. Ignorance is bliss I suppose, and none more blissful than the insular.

From my own POV I am more intent on getting back to Liverpool next week for the 20th anniversary of the tragedy where I lost a family member.

But how do what I said above apply to you, you're from Liverpool.

It's nothing about being pro-Irish or anti-English either, I'm not nationalistic, I couldn't give a damn about a united Ireland. I just think it's sad that grown adults conjure up a link to an football team that they have no connection with. I think the premiership is full of technically poor football played by overpaid footballers.

It's funny how you equate being anti-premiership football as anti-English. There's a lot more to football than England, and there's a lot more to England than football. I have loads of time for England, my English mates, the ones from Manchester who follow City, the guys from London who follow Arsenal, I just don't see how a guy from Limerick dreams up a link to a club in a city 100's of miles away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

For a second I thought that I had stumbled in to the soccer forum....

But how do what I said above apply to you, you're from Liverpool.

It's nothing about being pro-Irish or anti-English either, I'm not nationalistic, I couldn't give a damn about a united Ireland. I just think it's sad that grown adults conjure up a link to an football team that they have no connection with. I think the premiership is full of technically poor football played by overpaid footballers.

It's funny how you equate being anti-premiership football as anti-English. There's a lot more to football than England, and there's a lot more to England than football. I have loads of time for England, my English mates, the ones from Manchester who follow City, the guys from London who follow Arsenal, I just don't see how a guy from Limerick dreams up a link to a club in a city 100's of miles away.

Well seeing as you replied to me saying you were having a veiled dig with this line

"It's a not a veiled dig, it's a clear dig."

Then I will react in kind.

You find it hard to understand that adults form a connection with a club hundreds of miles away in a city that has massive Irish connections, probably more than any other city in the UK, whereas I do not find it hard to understand as people like to attach themselves to a club or sportsperson and normally regardless of where they are from. I am also a massive fan of boxing, but I would be well starved of world class boxing if I was to rely on Irish boxing so I travel to fights in the US and Germany quite a bit, but by your logic I should be watching local fighters (which technically I do as I have watched Andy Lee from his St Francis days onwards and others) and not going abroad to watch fighters.

Sport is like religion in many ways, people attach themselves to it for a feeling of belonging and also for banter/excitement/something to talk about on a Monday morning etc.

Munster are a great example of a team that I do not get any joy out of watching anymore, and it is not because of the guys on the pitch. Go back a number of years and they were not doing so well, and what was at the ground was what I call the hardcore fans, nowadays everyone will say they were there from the start and everyone is a super fan, this may not be the truth in your case, but it is a bit rich to point the finger at any Irish guy that supports Liverpool/Arsenal/Man U or whomever and say it is because they are winning things, when Munster get huge turnouts thanks to thousands turning up who would struggle to nake the team, let alone know the rules of the game, but are there because they want to be seen rooting for the winning team.

Well seeing as you replied to me saying you were having a veiled dig with this line

"It's a not a veiled dig, it's a clear dig."

Then I will react in kind.

You find it hard to understand that adults form a connection with a club hundreds of miles away in a city that has massive Irish connections, probably more than any other city in the UK, whereas I do not find it hard to understand as people like to attach themselves to a club or sportsperson and normally regardless of where they are from. I am also a massive fan of boxing, but I would be well starved of world class boxing if I was to rely on Irish boxing so I travel to fights in the US and Germany quite a bit, but by your logic I should be watching local fighters (which technically I do as I have watched Andy Lee from his St Francis days onwards and others) and not going abroad to watch fighters.

Sport is like religion in many ways, people attach themselves to it for a feeling of belonging and also for banter/excitement/something to talk about on a Monday morning etc.

Munster are a great example of a team that I do not get any joy out of watching anymore, and it is not because of the guys on the pitch. Go back a number of years and they were not doing so well, and what was at the ground was what I call the hardcore fans, nowadays everyone will say they were there from the start and everyone is a super fan, this may not be the truth in your case, but it is a bit rich to point the finger at any Irish guy that supports Liverpool/Arsenal/Man U or whomever and say it is because they are winning things, when Munster get huge turnouts thanks to thousands turning up who would struggle to nake the team, let alone know the rules of the game, but are there because they want to be seen rooting for the winning team.

I guess when people from Liverpool start supporting Munster we'll know it's all over.

I never made any suggestion as to why someone from Limerick would support Liverpool, they may be, as you suggest solely because they win things, I don't know, like I've said, I don't see why anyone would bother.

I guess when people from Liverpool start supporting Munster we'll know it's all over.

I never made any suggestion as to why someone from Limerick would support Liverpool, they may be, as you suggest solely because they win things, I don't know, like I've said, I don't see why anyone would bother.

No but you commented on how you cannot understand as to why someone from Limerick could support a team/sport that is hundreds of miles away. And anyone supporting Liverpool over the last 19 years was not in it for being able to support a winning team, the Souness team saw to that. I was lucky enough to be brought to Anfield every second week in the 80's, but those same 80's showed me a city that was brought to it's knees and relied on it's sporting heroes to give the ordinary folk something to latch on to when times were bad.

If someone becomes a fan of the club now, or is already a fan, and if they enjoy watching the team and having banter with people supporting other teams, the more power to them. As far as I am concerned you do not need a purple dustbin and a L4 address to be a Liverpool fan, but in the same manner another person might get the same buzz shouting for his local Sunday league team that is based half a mile from his house.

You mentioned Young Munster earlier, I know people who travel to Tom Clifford park on a regular basis, and roar the team on, but they are from Kerry. Should those people stop shouting for the team they want to support and do support? Of course not. In an ideal world clubs would be supported by local fans and stadiums would be filled with genuine fans only, but in that world it would not be long before there were not many stadiums, because small local fanbases do not generate big money, and shirt sales, merch sales, corporate box sales etc would not go far with a local base, and then without the cash, the Dougie Howletts of the world would not be decked out in red.

Limerick and Liverpool are actually two cities that are very similar in many ways and have been for decades, even ignoring the obvious Irish influence when going through Liverpool.

Both have had similar unemployment problems past and present, both have a large scally/scum element, both have the largest social housing % in their country, both cities are sports mad with genuine fans and hangers on, both cities generally get looked down upon by the rest of their country.

Now you can keep trying to prod me and I will keep replying and keep trying to talk you to death, or we can agree to disagree on this one, as it is a bad time of year for this arguement for me as my heckles will get raised easily close to the 15th April when someone brings up Liverpool to me, and the subject matter that started this thread caused me to allow myself to be baited and to react more than I would normally do so .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Clough also refused to go onto the PA and appeal for calm while the tradgedy was happening as "it was only bloody Liverpool supporters"!

The guy's actions are indeffensible, and it took him 12 years of repeating his spurious claims before he finally gave a half hearted refute, but never fully appologised.

And Amazo, it amazes me how people get so offended and feel the need to take a "clear dig" at people supporting an English club.
    What difference does it make to you who I or anybody else support?!

Unlike Kess, I'm not from Liverpool myself, although I do spend a lot of time there.
    I support Liverpool, and at it's basest level (although I'd never consider it so myself), supporting Liverpool is a form of entertainment for me.
    Should I only watch Ros na Run and Fair City because they're Irish?
    Only wear Aran jumpers?
    Only listen the The Coors?
    Only Drink Guinness and eat potatoes?!!
    Only be friends with people from Limerick?!
    Or does your bias stop at football?

I like american and English TV shows, so why can't I support an English club?
    Ridiculous IMO

I support Liverpool Football Club, because I get a massive ammount of joy from doing so.
    From travelling to matches all over Europe, to meeting Liverpool fans from as far away as Norway and Mali.
    The only reason I got to meet them being the fact that we share the common support.
    One of my best friends is a Dutch man I met in Holland and got to talking to him because he was a Redman.

P.S: Sorry to hear about your family Kess, hope they came out of it okay, I'm sure it's a difficult time for them right now.

Karmafaerie, brilliant post. If I could thank it 50 times, I would. And it aint often I agree with a Liverpool fan. :D

I think Amazo just cant get his head round supporting a club like Liverpool, the same way I just cant get my head round people who cant even spell 'rugby' jumping on the Munster bandwagon, people who have no history with the sport, but do it cos its 'cool' and want some kind of social standing. And I know these type of people personally, plenty of em let me tell you.

Liverpool has always had a huge Limerick/irish following, practically half the Irish team were on the Liverpool side of the 80s/90s.....big Irish community in Liverpool too, so I dont think that connection should be ridiculed or belittled.

Sorry to drag this further off topic but I feel it had to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I'm a Liverpool fan, so to be honest I couldn't care less if a movie on the life of that person ever came out.
    Most who knew him in the business had no respect for him, and I'll add myself to that list.
    I'm a Forest supporter, so naturally i'm going to disagree with you. What he said about Hillsborough was wrong, no doubt, but to say most people has no respect for him is laughable. A look at his trophy haul is proof enough. The players at Derby and Forest would never have played for him if they didn't respect him. He was a very fair man (most of the time), he could be hard, but he always looked for the best in other people.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing this film, the book was excellent, if not always factually correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭timesnewroman

So, we're none the wiser about the film then eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭trevufc

So, we're none the wiser about the film then eh?

WHAT FILM? :p

Advertisement