Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can Anyone give moped advice?

• 06-04-2009 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

Hoping ye can help me out here. I'm a 20 yr old Female who's in College in Galway during the week, and working back home during weekends and summer.

Want a moped for moving around Galway, but also was wondering if it'd be suitable for transporting me to work on a main road about two miles from my house back home? I'm not sure of laws, prices or anything like that, so any links/advice possible would be great!

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

The only advice I'll give you on a moped is to get an organ donor card now. That way atleast someone will get the benefit of your moped ;)............save just a tiny bit more and buy a little car ....if you fancy a few more birthdays that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭N1njapirate

Saab Ed wrote: »
    The only advice I'll give you on a moped is to get an organ donor card now. That way atleast someone will get the benefit of your moped ;)............save just a tiny bit more and buy a little car ....if you fancy a few more birthdays that is.

Well seeing as I cycle EVERYWHERE already, I'm just looking for a restricted one. I do care about safety. I'm just wondering if I have a restricted to around 35km/h one would I be allowed on the main road surrounding my town?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

The only advice I'll give you on a moped...

Harsh. I'd tend to disagree.

the lowest moped class is the 49cc <60kmph.

fine for tootling about. nothing major like long journeys though

cheers, tbh that's exactly what I want. Something to get to college and work in and not to have to depend on others for lifts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

I was always very safe on my bikes but was hit on different occasions by cars there fault of course:mad: but it did teach me road saftey and to look out for others on the roads.

and there is nothing like your own mode of transport even if its a moped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

I've had a couple of scooters starting with a 125cc and currently owning a 250cc. As an earlier poster said, a 50cc should be ideal for you if the distances you will be travelling is quite small. There is no doubt that road safety is an important issue. I did a road safety course with Fingal County Council a number of years ago and I would recommend that you look to see if there are any such courses in your county. As regards choosing a bike, keep an eye out for mopeds and see if there are any that appeal to you. Check out the motor bike shops in Galway and see what their prices are like. I'm insured with Aon who are agents for Axa. Give Aon a call to get a quote. Cheers.

yeah, it looks like Aon is the main insurers for mopeds... But the quote they gave me on the internet was 1150.. I think that's pretty harsh for such a restricted motor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Main thing is ignore this post.
    Scooters are grand yokes. Ya can pick one up wicked cheap. Insurance should be feck all for ya.

I'm guessing you are on a provisional licence and this is your first insurance. This is high risk as far as they are concerned. I'm not trying to defend their high prices but anyone looking for car/bike insurance for the first time will be hit hard. Is the amount quoted Third Party Only or is it Comprehensive ?

well I tried both 3rd party and comprehensive, but the 3rd party one on a €550 worth moped was 1450! Yeah provisional and no exp, but still only a 50cc motor. Pretty disappointed with that!

• Advertisement

seanybiker wrote: »
    Scooters are grand yokes. Ya can pick one up wicked cheap. Insurance should be feck all for ya.

;) I'm such a newbie with all of this! Don't know where to start.. ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

nereid wrote: »
    I know a fella who went from waterford to belfast on one. Just to meet a young one for a ride. Cant remember how long it took him but it made it anyways

As far as I know, Aon and Carole Nash are the only motor bike insurers in Ireland. I could be wrong but I don't think Carole Nash insure mopeds. So it looks like you are stuck with Aon. Try and look at the economics of the situation. If you take the cost of the bike plus the insurance plus petrol and compare to your current transport costs. Don't forget that there is value in being able to go where ever you want whenever it suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

chughes wrote: »
    As far as I know, Aon and Carole Nash are the only motor bike insurers in Ireland. I could be wrong but I don't think Carole Nash insure mopeds. So it looks like you are stuck with Aon. Try and look at the economics of the situation. If you take the cost of the bike plus the insurance plus petrol and compare to your current transport costs. Don't forget that there is value in being able to go where ever you want whenever it suits you.

+ Quinn Direct..

http://www.quinn-direct.com/ireland/motorcycle/

But they have a reputation for being bloodthirsty pirates.

With them myself and always have the niggling fear that they won't pay out in the event of a claim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

http://www.organdonation.ie/news/1-latest-news/90-donor-week

Japanese_car_accident.jpgAlive :) Dead :eek: scooteraccident.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I know a fella who went from waterford to belfast on one. Just to meet a young one for a ride. Cant remember how long it took him but it made it anyways

feckin class! I'd say they got to enjoy a lot of scenery.

report.gif for saab-ed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

@Saab-Ed

neither funny nor helpful

Take a weeks break

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭AsphaltRisin'

im guessin about 3 days.... she'd want to have been some woman.:D

but seriously that doesnt really help our poor OP,

@ninjapirate,

if you're careful driving and bear in mind that cars might not see you etc, you should be fine, and a 50cc scooter will do your two mile journey to work no bother. the only roads you're not allowed on are motorways (with the big blue signs sayin no trctors, 50cc vehicles etc).
    As was already said you can get em fierce cheap. Insurance will always be a killer but allyou really need is 3rd party or 3rd party fire and theft to keep you legal, and unfortunately with your age and no drivin history you wont get much lower price than 500 i'd say, but it couls be worse, at least it's not a couple of thousand

im guessin about 3 days.... she'd want to have been some woman.:D

but seriously that doesnt really help our poor OP,

@ninjapirate,

if you're careful driving and bear in mind that cars might not see you etc, you should be fine, and a 50cc scooter will do your two mile journey to work no bother. the only roads you're not allowed on are motorways (with the big blue signs sayin no trctors, 50cc vehicles etc).
    As was already said you can get em fierce cheap. Insurance will always be a killer but allyou really need is 3rd party or 3rd party fire and theft to keep you legal, and unfortunately with your age and no drivin history you wont get much lower price than 500 i'd say, but it couls be worse, at least it's not a couple of thousand

Guys, thanks a million, you've been a great help to such a newb!! :)
    <3 I'll prob need to ask ye loads more questions on the way. I'll let ye all know! :)

ok guys! quinn direct gave me a quote for 400yo yo's! Which is great compared to 1500 by Aon!

I kinda expected it cause my ex has his full licence for two years ncb and got charged double I did for a quote for car insurance!

They must love girls! In a great mood now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭VWPowered

nereid wrote: »
    Harsh. I'd tend to disagree.

the lowest moped class is the 49cc <60kmph.

did 50kms on mine the other day, doing 70kms tomorrow

lrg-11782-26s69922.jpg

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

quinn quoted me 650 on a 50cc scoot, i was 17 just about 18, prolly your best bet, longest trip i took on mine before moving to a 125 was 40 miles, gorey to new ross and back, took me an hour and a half each way but the bike held up grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

Best of luck with the scoot OP.

Don;t listen to Saab, idiot doens't know what s/he is talking about.

When you buy the scoot, get a proper jacket for yourself too with armour so that if you do take a fall you'll be somewhat protected. A Sam Browne reflector belt is a good idea too although legally you've to wear a hi-viz vest with a red L on front and back but I've never seen anyone wear one really (including myself ahem!).

Helmet goes without saying, make sure it fits properly, do some research on that and ask and try stuff on in the bike shop - an old helmet is no use, they've to be replaced about every 5 years and if you drop it harshly you gotta replace it as it may have damaged it inside and the last place you want to be finding out that is in a real accident where you'll need good protection. Gloves are a must too.

Boots are good too, protection for feet and keep ya dry and no I don't mean fashion boots! I know though that they, and armoured pants, may take away from the convienince factor a bit!

Best of luck with your forray into the world of two-wheels OP, enjoy it, be safe and live! Have a look at some bike safety ads on youtube, some lessons up there too and read, read and read again all the safety tips you can online assuming you ain't gonna get training (recommended though).

Hey you may even move up to a bike in time if you really like it!

Advertisement