Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SUPER TUESDAY! Budget discussion thread MERGED

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i believe this is what's technically know as "step 2: ???????"

Even if we kicked them out of government long enough to wake them up out of their complacent idea that they're untouchable I'd be happy. As it is they know they can do whatever they want because of the masses of people who vote for them because their daddies did or because they think the country will collapse into a black hole within seconds of Enda Kenny sitting in the Taoiseach chair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

panda100 wrote: »
    Got this email today of some facts to consider on budget day.Quite intresting as you can bet the wealthiest in our society will not be hit the hardest today:

28.2 per cent of all the income earned in 2008 was earned by just 6.36 per cent of the population.(Irish Times 5/3/09)

6 per cent of all income earned in 2008 was earned by just 0.22 per cent of the population.(Irish Times 5/3/09)

The richest 1% of the Irish population own 34% of the wealth.

At the very top, the 1,447 people (0.06 per cent of all income earners) who earned more than €1 million each last year, collectively earned 3.4 per cent of all income. In real figure terms, this small cohort of people earned €3.459 billion in 2008, an average of €2.39 million each. (Irish Times 5/3/09)

Of the EU-15, Ireland ranks first in terms of earnings inequality (OECD, Decile Ratios of Gross Earnings, 2008)

In Ireland between 1960-1970 78% of GDP was paid in wages. Betweeen 2001 and 2006 this had fallen to 55%

Between 2005-2008 the richest 1% of the population made €41bn.
    Tax shelters cost the state €8bn last year. In 2006 & 2007 private landlords got €1.4bn in tax relief

English translation:

Drop trousers, bend over, spread arse cheeks and hold on tight... :pac:

panda100 wrote: »
    Got this email today of some facts to consider on budget day.Quite intresting as you can bet the wealthiest in our society will not be hit the hardest today:

28.2 per cent of all the income earned in 2008 was earned by just 6.36 per cent of the population.(Irish Times 5/3/09)

6 per cent of all income earned in 2008 was earned by just 0.22 per cent of the population.(Irish Times 5/3/09)

The richest 1% of the Irish population own 34% of the wealth.

At the very top, the 1,447 people (0.06 per cent of all income earners) who earned more than €1 million each last year, collectively earned 3.4 per cent of all income. In real figure terms, this small cohort of people earned €3.459 billion in 2008, an average of €2.39 million each. (Irish Times 5/3/09)

Of the EU-15, Ireland ranks first in terms of earnings inequality (OECD, Decile Ratios of Gross Earnings, 2008)

In Ireland between 1960-1970 78% of GDP was paid in wages. Betweeen 2001 and 2006 this had fallen to 55%

Between 2005-2008 the richest 1% of the population made €41bn.
    Tax shelters cost the state €8bn last year. In 2006 & 2007 private landlords got €1.4bn in tax relief

The only problem with this is that those same richest people also paid taxes in a similar ratio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

The only problem with this is that those same richest people also paid taxes in a similar ratio.

Probably not true on income, and definitely not true on wealth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Even if we kicked them out of government long enough to wake them up out of their complacent idea that they're untouchable I'd be happy.

A few pitchforks wouldnt do that. You need to be more radical. Think votes of no confidence, and the like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

Cork4ever wrote: »
    Finally i think the mods on this board should ban anyone who threatens the life of another person not to mind anyone who wants to assinate a duly elected memeber of parliment.

Brian Cowen is NOT a person! He's some sort of walrus/hippo hybrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

asdasd wrote: »
    Ack the whole blaming of Fianna Fail is nonsense. Irish people would have been appalled at any increase in taxes during the boom, and any measures taken to curtail the property market would have had pitch forks at dawn. No Party was suggesting more taxes. And no party demanded that the easy credit be curtailed, say to 3 times income. That would have "priced" people out of the market.

The responsiiibilty for the boom and the collapse lies with a significant chunk of the irish people, and not just the people who voted for Fianna Fail. All property owners had a vested interest in the party continuing as long as possible, and most made their arguments forcibly in pubs, on the radio, and on these fora.

Edit: Full disclosure - asdasd is not a a member of any political party and has never voted for Fianna Fail in his life.

A convenient truth that people like to ignore as it is easier to blame everything and anything other than ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

Leprachaun wrote: »
    Brian Cowen is NOT a person! He's some sort of walrus/hippo hybrid.

Coo Coo Ca Choon in at 4pm for the end of the country as we know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Rojomcdojo wrote: »

Wouldnt hold my breath about that considering there are 6000 people registered as tax exiles. Of the top 20 richest people in Ireland over half of them are tax resident outside Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

asdasd wrote: »
    A few pitchforks wouldnt do that. You need to be more radical. Think votes of no confidence, and the like.

No way man, that's too radical for me. I'll just stick to mindless violence

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Well, it's Ireland, Jim, but not as we know it, not as we know it, not as we know it;
    it's Ireland, Jim, but not as we know it, not as we know it, Captain.

There's developers on the starboard bow, starboard bow, starboard bow;
    there's developers on the starboard bow, scrape 'em off, Jim.

Star Trekkin' across the universe,
    On the Starship Enterprise under Captain Kirk.
    Star Trekkin' across the universe,
    Only going forward, and things are getting worse!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

45 minutes. I can almost hear them polishing the axe.

BTW what do think Lenihan will say at the end other then "muhahahahaha"? Remember the "patriotic duty" stuff he came out with the last time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

Lennihan will look like Denis the menace when he comes out of that building. big thick head on him proudly holding the budget book while all the sheep clap with approval.

See you in a few months brian for another budget you fat piece of liquid dog sh*t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I can hear Junior Ministers' holes contracting from here, eerie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Disease Ridden

Who else thinks George Lee is the man? Such a cold, number-crunching bsatard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

OK everyone.

1. Take a deep breath,
    2. Relax
    3. Bend over
    4. and prepare to receive thine destiny!

Don't clinch now, just let it slip in......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

bend over,
    dont clinch
    force out
    expell the deep breath
    its not that bad now is it
    the pain is only your imagneation
    sore, whats sore,
    get used to it
    because it is gonna last

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Reminder for all those unaware that there is now a mini-forum all about the budget here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1196

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Keitel

10% cut in Govt. expenses.
    Poor Jackie Healy Rae will only get to claim €90,000 in expenses this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Dole cut in half for under twenties, excellent.
    Now they just need to cut it in half for the over twenties and the country won't be such a joke.

• Advertisement

So..

whats this all about then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Tellox wrote: »
    Dole cut in half for under twenties, excellent.
    Now they just need to cut it in half for the over twenties and the country won't be such a joke.

Yeah! fuck those people who are out of a job, useless wastes of flesh that they are!

2% levy now i think i heard?

cock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Ah FFS!!!!:mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I think he meant 25 cent increase, not %

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Cancer sticks up 25cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Hope so, I missed it. Can't imagine he'd be stupid enough to put it over a tenner a box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

That was a close one .. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

he better of or i can see me shift a containers worth of ciggerettes at a 5'er a packet Very easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I heard 25%...was it 25 cent?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Let me say this: If smokes go up to a tenner a box, I will insist on smoking twice as much just to show the bastards. And I'll be 'importing' them via a Polish friend of mine in bulk.

Ruu wrote: »
    Cancer sticks up 25cents.

Aye. I hope those under 20s who are on the dole don't smoke as well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I think he meant 25 cent increase, not %

I'm sure I heard him say 25%, but the RTE pop-up screen said 25c per pack of 20.

So, I'm not too sure which it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

i dono in work here we heard 2 different answers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

great news i dont smoke.

put it up to 100e a packet so i can make some easy money off the muppets who still smoke by selling them counterfeit fags

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

The price of cigarettes will rise by 25 cent and diesel goes up five cent a litre. The increases are VAT inclusive.7 minutes ago from web

http://twitter.com/RTEBudget2009

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

This must be read from the bottom up - blame RTÉ

16:35: A Stamp Duty trading scheme will be introduced
    16:31: An Enterprise Stabilisation Fund will be set up to help protect jobs in troubled businesses.
    16:25: The Government plans to set up an asset management agency to take bad loans off the banks' balance sheets.
    16:23: Petrol and alcohol duties will not go up.
    16:22: The prices of cigarettes will rise by 25 cent and diesel goes up five cent a litre. The increases are VAT inclusive.
    16:22: The ceiling for employee PRSI will rise from €52,000 to €75,000.
    16:21: The income levy thresholds have been lowered, with the 2% rate kicking in at €15,000, 4% at €75,000 and 6% at €175,000.
    16:21: The income levy rates announced in last October's Budget will be doubled to 2%, 4% and 6%.
    16:19: DIRT will go up from 23% to 25%. The levy on non-life insurance premiums rise from 2% to 3%.
    16:17: Capital Gains Tax and Capital Acquisitions Tax will both rise from 22% to 25%.
    16:16: The Government will look at introducing a national infrastructure bond to raise money for capital projects.
    16:14: The minister announces that the early childcare supplement will be halved from 1 May, and scrapped altogether next year.
    16:13: The Commission on Taxation will decide on how to raise further money from taxing or means testing child benefit.
    16:12: The Christmas bonus will not be paid this year, while those under 20 will have their dole payments halved.
    16:11: There will be no increases in social welfare for the next couple of years, and rates may be reviewed later.
    16:10: There will be a new scheme to allow civil servants over the age of 50 to retire. The scheme will begin in May. Those retiring will not be replaced unless sanctioned by the Department of Finance.
    16:01: The minister has ordered a review of top-level public sector pay rates.
    16:00: The minister announces there will be a 10% cut in political expenses, while long-term payments to TDs will be abolished.
    15:59: Mr Lenihan says those with the most must pay the most.
    15:57: Mr Lenihan says that the Government now expects the economy to shrink by 8% this year, with consumer prices falling by 4%.
    15:55: The Finance Minister says that we became over-reliant on the construction industry.
    15:54: Mr Lenihan says that many of the factors that contributed to the economic boom are still in place and will help in the hoped-for recovery.
    15:53: Brian Lenihan begins delivering his speech.

Merging threads in here for the time being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

has ones shops implamented the laws yet ?? my local one does it before their even effective :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Sounds tough alright, and thats only the beginning...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Im almost certain he said the excise duty on them would rise by 25 percent

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

No rise in booze....yay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Did he not mention VAT or did I miss it???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

What next?

A solicitor may set our country's financial budget?

Or perhaps an obese woman will be in charge of the health service?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

On the last word on todayfm they arn't sure if its 25c or 25% on cigs either.

everyone split over the fags..

i heard but 25% but it does make more sense for it to be 25cent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'm pretty sure it's 25cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Really can't see it being 25%. If he said it it was pobably just a slip of the tongue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Nothing on booze then? yeah?

At least that's one good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,147 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Its 25c per pack of 20.

Its here

It comes into affect tonight

• Advertisement
Advertisement