Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carpentry Costs

Options
  • 06-04-2009 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

has anybody got any 2009-recession busting carpentry costs...how much are chippys charging for hanging a door and all the rest...frame/locks/handles/saddle/architraves etc...

trying to put together a bit of a budget plus dont want to get ripped off when i am getting quotes...thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭lav1

i,am a chippy and if i was doing it as a nixer id charge about e75 for everything except taking the frame out and replacing it, with frame replacment prob in around e100-110.

thats for one door, if there was afew doors to be changed the price would come down.

hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

Not hanging the frame and doing all else 35 euro per internal door. We were the same during the boom and are getting rewarded now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

time lord wrote: »
    Not hanging the frame and doing all else 35 euro per internal door. We were the same during the boom and are getting rewarded now!

you could lose a pile of money doing that.

What do you do with old badly installed frames? That turn a 40 min job into a 2 hour job.

I price for how long it would take me now. I can do 8 doors well per day locked on my own frames (previously fitted). So I pick a price for a day.

gsxr1 wrote: »
    you could lose a pile of money doing that.

What do you do with old badly installed frames? That turn a 40 min job into a 2 hour job.

I price for how long it would take me now. I can do 8 doors well per day locked on my own frames (previously fitted). So I pick a price for a day.

I wouldnt be any faster. 280 euro though is a lot for a days work. When you're jiged up with router and drilling with flat bits you can fly through a door. Badly fitted frames are a nightmare so with you there. joe public are delighted at aspects of the recession and tradesman prices are one of them.

Many many trades ripped off the public and can whistle dixie now. I bet nobody holds up their hands to ripping off the public though.

Not aimed at you but it has to be said..

I wouldnt be any faster. 280 euro though is a lot for a days work. When you're jiged up with router and drilling with flat bits you can fly through a door. Badly fitted frames are a nightmare so with you there. joe public are delighted at aspects of the recession and tradesman prices are one of them.

Many many trades ripped off the public and can whistle dixie now. I bet nobody holds up their hands to ripping off the public though.

Not aimed at you but it has to be said..

year ago I would not work a sat nixxer for less than 280. Oh how time have changed.

But I have to say. A lot of the call out nixers I have got where one off doors. 35 would hardly cover your time in that case.

Im happy to get 150 a day now. (I just contradicted my previous post) I hope it improves from that. Its just not worth it anymore.
    I dont need to tell ya how hard off a days work it is swinging solid doors around. Its back breaking work.

• Advertisement

I was a bench carpenter who worked in an Army saw mill for years after serving my apprenticship.

I was always slower on site than others. My problem solving was second to none though. From running herring bone floors, to circular windows to an oak cradle for a Cromwellian seige cannon ( I kid you not)

Point is I agree with you. At the end of each day I was smothered in MDF, back ached, half deaf, no change visable for years if ever.

I quit and joined a local authority. I took a huge pay drop but I dont commute, I have no customers to deal with and i just might live a bit longer!

If I loose my job I'll go abroad but not for carpentry, Ill fecking sell ice cream or anything but no more carpentry. Beast of burden job.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭lav1

I was a bench carpenter who worked in an Army saw mill for years after serving my apprenticship.

I was always slower on site than others. My problem solving was second to none though.
    Point is I agree with you. At the end of each day I was smothered in MDF, back ached, half deaf, no change visable for years if ever.

i thought i was just me:) i worked in a joinery shop for about ten years(part time during school for 4) but i was always more tired/sore from a days work in shop than on site!!

cutting and slipping fire doors all day is great for your back:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

€40 to swing a door and fit locks and handles. €30 to make and fit door frames. skirting and archatrave i estimate how long it will take and charge by the hour. floors charged by the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Arddon

thanks folks

i have 9 doors to do, and frames will probably need doing on all of them...surely thats not going to be 1k though??!

Arddon wrote: »
    thanks folks

i have 9 doors to do, and frames will probably need doing on all of them...surely thats not going to be 1k though??!

A little less but its the guts of a 4 days work there. Lads aint going to do it for nothing. have you included ripping out the old frames and a skip to put them in? A carpenter will not take them away unless he wants the fire wood .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Hi
    Are you paying tax on that :D

Carpenter wrote: »
    Hi

of course he is. we all are

Carpenter wrote: »
    Hi

Yes Iam.Tax is differant for everyone. The more tax credits you have the less you pay.

I pay everything due and can take home a lot more than a single (non married) carpenter even if we get the exact same gross. Getting you're tax credits up is a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Fair play so but I would be fecked if I would swing a door for that .
    If you hit 3 bad frames your day is gone something has to give
    Quality or quanity it,s hard to keep them hand in hand

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Arddon

no gsxr1 i wouldnt expect lads to do it for nothing...but at the same time i want to know what to expect...i'll budget for 1k to do 9 doors(locks,handles,hinges) and 9 frames...incl ripping out the old ones?...not bothered with getting rid of them, i'll do that...

cheers

Advertisement