Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rebuild pillar - estimate?

Options
  • 06-04-2009 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

How much should it cost me to rebuild two brick pillars. At the moment, they are starting to fall apart. I guess they are about 3-4 foot tall.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

Figure out or count how many bricks are in the pillars. If you're buying new ones then €1 to €1.50 a brick is probably a reasonable enough estimate to buy these in small quantities. Price depends on the type, the plain ones are cheaper than that. Handmade could be more.

Then you need to use some mortar to build the bricks, 3:1 ratio of sand to cement. Supposedly 70 kg of mortar will lay 1 square metre of bricks, which is about 60 standard bricks. Rounding up to allow for waste, which you'll probably have plenty of if you're doing it yourself, we'll say 100 kg of mortar for every 80 bricks.
    Cement comes in 25 kg bags so for each one of these (about €6) you'll need three times the amount of sand (~€3 to €5 per 25 kg bag or €40-50 a tonne). Remember to mix by volume not weight though.

To top it off you'll probably need some sort of capstone, the cost of which I wouldn't know but I'd imagine €20 would cover you.

So, for every 80 bricks my guideline would be (1x80)[bricks] + 6[cement] + (4x3)[sand] = €98.
    All these figures are rounded up so it could well cost less.

Advertisement